C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

What scanner for 04 LS1

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 10:24 AM
Daddy o
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts
Default What scanner for 04 LS1

Anybody tell me what is a decent scanner to purchase for 04 LS1 that will do the job without breaking the bank? Also where to pick one up?
Old 10-19-2018, 09:39 AM
Caveboy
Drifting

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Clone tech 2 for around $250
Old 10-22-2018, 01:31 PM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,689 Posts

I’d save my cash and get something that will read all your modules and has bi directional capability...don’t know how these Chinese Tech 2 clones hold up !!...and if you have issues what type of support do they have ??...yes, OTC or Vetronics will set you back a few grand but you get what you pay for !!
The following users liked this post:
Daddy o (10-22-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 01:07 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Depends on what you are trying to look at----If you are only looking to read codes and to temporarily delete them you can buy most any scanner that will read and delete codes--Even Harbor FRT sells good ones for less than $75
It after reading codes and you make an attempt to repair the cause these scanners will tell you that the code is fixed and it will not re appear
Now if you are intersted in looking at more data for performagnay communication other than full blown tuning software like HP or EFILIVE---
What excatly are you trying to accomplish ?
Old 10-28-2018, 07:23 AM
Daddy o
Racer

What I'm looking for is one that will tell me what the problem is and also be able to correct the code when the issue is fixed. I don't know if this is posable since I am not that good with computer issues and know little about the scanners and codes. There is not much I can not fix once I know what the problem is. Just these codes and computers drive me nuts! I don't intend on changing anything from it's stock configuration since the car is as built and will stay that way. An 04 Lemans edition with 23,000 miles. Just that the car is needing some minor replacements from age. I'm 67 years old and now my car and I are starting to have similar problems. Thank's
Old 10-28-2018, 09:19 AM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

Unfortunately no scanner will tell you EXACTLY what the problem is...they might give you some direction but that’s all...not even a $10,000 Snap On scan tool will do that...I’ve seen some O2 sensor codes that weren’t even O2 sensor related so it’s going to take a little self study on your part when it comes to computer and electrical systems (circuit design) to make an an accurate diagnosis for those types of issues....even for a 20 year old car these are not the ‘67 Chevy of your youth. I’d suggest take it to a diagnostic shop and then do the work yourself...there are MANY good auto diagnostic related info and training on the internet and YouTube !!...wrenching is one thing and diagnosing is a whole different animal !!
Old 10-28-2018, 04:34 PM
Daddy o
Racer

Thanks, You must have esp. I did have a 67 years ago along with a 73! When I got the 04 it was like going from a bicycle to the space shuttle when I needed to make changes or maint. No more common sense and working in the shade of a tree. I'll leave all this tech diagnosis ?!&@ to people who know and do the parts change myself. When I have issues, I'll come to you guys first since you young guys are more knowledgeable than this $&@!. Love this forum! Loaded with people who know. Thanks
Old 10-28-2018, 04:49 PM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

YES, leave the diag to someone else...oh, and leave it to “you young guys”....hey, I’m 4 years younger than you Bubba !!...LOL !!...and you CAN teach an old dog new tricks !!...mine was a ‘73 Z-28...wish I never sold it !!!

Last edited by C5 Diag; 10-28-2018 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:33 PM
0Tampa Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Corvette Tuner in Tampa

You can go to auto zone or NAPA, and they will tell you what your codes are if you have a Check Engine Light for free, But they usually dont erase the code. You'll need a program like HP Tuners or EFI Live to turn a code off.

Get notified of new replies

To What scanner for 04 LS1

Quick Reply: What scanner for 04 LS1