C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Dual Mass Flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 11:36 AM
jva
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Mass Flywheel

I have a 1993 Corvette Convertible with a 6-speed. It has 59,000 miles on it. I recently replaced the clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, etc. The parts I used were from Eckler and the clutch kit was number 292400 while the flywheel number was 292414. The transmission gears made a lot of noise when I got the car back. I posted the problem on this forum and received many helpful responses. The bottom line was the original transmission had a dual mass flywheel and the replacement wasn't a dual mass. This was causing all the noise in the gears! I finally found a dual mass flywheel from a 1994 Corvette 6-speed. The questions: Can I use this dual mass flywheel with the current clutch and pressure plate? Can I have this used 1994 dual mass flywheel resurfaced if it is compatible with the current clutch and pressure plate? If the Eckler clutch and pressure plate are NOT compatible with the dual mass flywheel, where can I get one that is? Thanks in advance for your help. It is appreciated!
Old 10-18-2018, 12:29 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 624 Likes on 486 Posts

The clutch kit you have is compatible with the dual mass flywheel except for the clutch disc. The solid flywheels need a disc with springs, but the dual mass has the springs in the flywheel, so the clutch disc is solid without springs. The pilot bearing, throw out bearing, and pressure plate can be used with either flywheel.

So to go back to the dual mass, you would need the solid clutch disc. I have not shopped for one, so I don't know the best place to get one.

You might also check with ZF Doc. Most of the noise on the ZF transmissions can be eliminated by proper shimming of the countershaft. He sells a kit of shims and can help describe how to make the change. It is my understanding that the transmission needs to be pulled, but the shims can be installed from the front of the transmission rather than from inside. It might be a lot easier than it first sounds. Talk to him about it to find out. He has worked with many of us and is knowledgeable and easy to talk with. He helped me a lot.

The dual mass flywheels are generally not supposed to be resurfaced because they are two piece and difficult to machine correctly without creating problems do to movement between the two parts. Jim at powertorque systems used to be the only one I know of that found a way to re machine them acceptably. However, I think he has somewhat retired and may not be doing it any more unless he does it as a hobby or limited. So generally the dual mass should not be machined. Many people have simply cleaned up the surface with a red Scotchbrite pad and or limited sanding with a fine (220 or finer) sandpaper. That is basically to clean it up, but will not get rid of scratches/grooves, or surface profile of more wear at the inside or outside. I have used the red scotchbrite on a couple with good success.

Good luck
Old 10-31-2018, 03:29 PM
mixalive
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

I am using an aftermarket pressure plate and disc with the factory dual mass flywheel. I have 154K on my 92.

Get notified of new replies

To Dual Mass Flywheel

Quick Reply: Dual Mass Flywheel