C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BG44K and oil life after cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 05:12 PM
joliett
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Default BG44K and oil life after cleaning

Well...I had my C6 2008, 160K miles fuel system float sender go putz...so I started with adding Techron, but then learned about BG44K.
I put that stuff in- 2 cans in 2 fillups...and the sender is slowly starting to come back. It took awhile and a lot of patience. Two times ago, the gauge worked flawlessly. The last time it stopped working for the first 30 miles only.

My gas mileage, as evidenced by the C6 gas mileage numbers from the DEC rose - without a doubt - over 1 mpg. It used to be for years 20.7 about average mpg for 10 years. After using the BG442 (and only BG), my mileage rose over 20 to 22.3

And in my Porsche 1987 944, 97K miles...when I bought the car used...there was a miss or a hesitation that was extremely slight...and my favorite Porsche mechanic said it was nothing. I lived with it for 5 years....well...the BG stuff really absolutely worked. I tried Techron, and nothing...but again WITHOUT A DOUBT one can of the BG stuff worked. I used the BG in my Porsche on a trip from New York to Washington DC, and the car has been running exemplifying the whole summer.

So … try it. I'm still not sure if it will definitely fix the gauge problem, and the jury is still out...we'll see next season.

Question though... I think my oil in the Vette is dark - possibly from all the cleaning. The oil life system says 30% left on the oil life. Should I change the oil? (I know, I know...) Is the oil life monitor smart enough to "see through" and measure the remaining oil life accurately despite the BG additive cleaning?

Old 10-18-2018, 08:28 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Fuel lever sensor is kind off a two part problem. Either the stat pad bars corrode enough that the swiper arm can not get a good enough reading on the bars, or the swiper arms wear out isntead. So techron helps to keep the board bars clean, but will not solve the worn swiper arms.

Hell, most top tier fuels will have a techron type cleaner in its, so not only does it do a good job at keeping the bars clean, but the injectors as well. So your increase in mileage after the BG442 , would call that one out as not running top tier fuel in the car to keep the injectors clean in the first place.
https://www.toptiergas.com/

Skip to :55 to get a good look at new swiper arms, verses old swiper arms.

As for the dark oil, should be changing the oil yearly to begin with, and most of use do not drive the vet even close in a year to get it past under the 50% oil mark, so the oil is just yearly instead. Also, if you are skipping on oil changes, may want to take a look at the rest of the fuids in the car that half life dates on how longer before they should be changed as well.

Dexcool has a 5 year life, and brake fluid should be power flushed every two year. If you have a M6, then ranger flushes every few month at the tank keeps that fluid clean, and if you have a A4 or A6, the trans fluid and filter should be replaced every 50K. Diff fluid every 100k, and the break away torqu for the LDS packs should still be 100ftbl per side, and if lower then this, they need to be replaced.

Last edited by Dano523; 10-18-2018 at 08:38 PM.

Quick Reply: BG44K and oil life after cleaning