C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting brake calipers

Old 10-18-2018, 09:03 PM
Ladensack3
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Painting brake calipers

so I just bought a lemans blue Z51 C6. How much do you estimate having a shop paint the calipers to match the color of the car? Also, how hard would it be to do myself?
Old 10-18-2018, 09:38 PM
CorVetteJones
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I had mine power coated ZR1 blue for $400 a couple of years ago.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:06 PM
GHOLD
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Its not hard to do it yourself. You need to be able to put your car on jack stands and take off all 4 wheels. No need to remove the calipers, Purchase a G2 epoxy paint kit specifying the body color. It will cost you about $109.00 The kit will have an aerosol can of brake cleaner. Go to the store and buy an additional can of brake cleaner -it is cheap. The key to doing a good job is to clean the calipers extremely well. Using painters tape, mask off the wheel and rotor. Brush on the paint. It will go on thick but it levels off as it dries. If you have raised lettering, sand it down after your paint dries. Remember it must be at least 55 degrees outside for epoxy paint o properly dry. You will not receive much paint, but you will find out it will cover all 4 calipers giving it several coats.The epoxy paint leaves a nice glossy finish.

The following users liked this post:
jeffs64 (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 12:10 AM
jeffs64
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 190 Posts

Just love the OA
Old 10-19-2018, 08:35 AM
rekud
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just bought an 07 AO 3 weeks ago and I was wondering what the Calipers would look like to match the car. Looks awesome and think this will be my first project for the car.

If in heated garage over 55 degrees, think it will be ok?

Did you order the Epoxy Kit from a dealer or a 3rd party?

Thanks

Old 10-19-2018, 09:48 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,046 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by GHOLD
Its not hard to do it yourself. You need to be able to put your car on jack stands and take off all 4 wheels. No need to remove the calipers, Purchase a G2 epoxy paint kit specifying the body color. It will cost you about $109.00 The kit will have an aerosol can of brake cleaner. Go to the store and buy an additional can of brake cleaner -it is cheap. The key to doing a good job is to clean the calipers extremely well. Using painters tape, mask off the wheel and rotor. [b]Brush on the paint. It will go on thick but it levels off as it dries.[b] If you have raised lettering, sand it down after your paint dries. Remember it must be at least 55 degrees outside for epoxy paint o properly dry. You will not receive much paint, but you will find out it will cover all 4 calipers giving it several coats.The epoxy paint leaves a nice glossy finish.
Nice result.
I used Duplicolor on my '06, wasn't expensive, hard to do and looked great.
Thoroughly cleaning calipers several times is crucial or paint will not adhere properly or last where it does. Scrub those suckers.
One thing I stress is NOT going over paint twice lest it'll leave brush strokes, the stuff tends to dry quickly.
Very important paint be applied enough to cover first time.
Then, left to completely dry before adding 2nd coat if needed.

Great, easy DIY project w/ a big payback.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:08 AM
koreanbeefcake
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

i used an exacto knife to tape over the corvette lettering. came out good. I have heard other say they just used a cleaner and wiped it off.

Spend extra time cleaning the calipers. i instantly noticed a few spots that i didnt clean well enough because the paint wouldnt stick. for me it was minor enough to leave. couldnt see it with the wheels on.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:19 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,296 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Do it yourself with a G2 kit.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:58 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I did mine about 8-9 years ago with a $5 rattle can. I've done touch-up several times since then.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:13 PM
GHOLD
Advanced

Originally Posted by rekud
Just bought an 07 AO 3 weeks ago and I was wondering what the Calipers would look like to match the car. Looks awesome and think this will be my first project for the car.

If in heated garage over 55 degrees, think it will be ok?

Did you order the Epoxy Kit from a dealer or a 3rd party?

Thanks
The heated garage will work fine. I went back and forth trying to decide a caliper color for the AO. In the end, I went with the body color and I am absolutely convinced it was the right way to go. I ordered my paint directly from G2. I just found a write-up I did on the project - let me share it with you below:
  1. Yes, the G2 kit is expensive for custom colors. I think I paid somewhere close to $109.00 (USD). I received the kit in about a week’s time after ordering. It was quick.
  2. When the kit arrives, the small paint can is only partially filled to allow for mixing the hardener. When mixed, it appears you do not have much paint. I originally thought I would use foam brushes instead of the nylon bristled brush that comes with the kit. When I saw what appeared to be a small amount of paint, I discarded that idea as I was concerned I would run out of paint. However, when I painted the calipers (both the front side and rear side of the calipers), there was plenty of paint. I eventually used a foam brush on the final coat and touched up areas over the next couple hours where I saw some small runs occurring (paint runs are not an issue here, this is just me being very critical). I touched up additional areas here and there with the foam brush. When I was done I probably still had 1/8” of paint left in the can. Obviously, you cannot store it as it will harden in about 5-6 hours. The paint is self-leveling, so the first couple applications look a little rough at first. You can put additional coats on after 15 minutes.
  3. The kit also arrives with an aerosol can of brake cleaner. I knew I would be attempting to clean the surfaces as much as possible, so I bought 2 additional cans of brake cleaner from Walmart. In total, I used 3 cans for cleaning the 4 calipers. Also, Harbor Freight sells a 6 pack hand brush kit for around $5-$6. It has a large nylon, brass, steel brushes with smaller nylon, brass, steel brushes. The nylon worked fine with the brake cleaner. I had my Dremel tools and brush attachments ready to go, but did not need them. I would say I spent about 15 minutes a wheel cleaning the calipers to insure good paint adhesion.
  4. Prior to painting, I used a couple of sanding pads I had in the garage to sand down the raised lettering. It did not take much effort. The sanding pads I am talking about are sort of like a somewhat hard sponge, with a mild abrasive on the outside. I was prepared to use paint remover as I think the raised lettering had a white coat of paint originally. I did not need to use paint remover. The bottom line was that the hand held sanding disc pad worked fine.
  5. Next I rubbed my index finger over the top of a chap stick tube and put a very thin layer of chap stick on the top of the lettering. I was careful not to get it on the sides of the raised lettering. In retrospect, I probably could have put a more liberal amount on.
  6. Next, I used painters tape to mask off mainly the rotor area near the calipers. Also, masked off the rubber grommets on the rear of the calipers. I used some off brand of painters tape and at first thought I did not have the calipers clean enough as the tape’s adhesion was not that good. Later I tried some 3M painters tape and it worked well. So I recommend using good tape.
  7. On the fronts, where you have the 2 circular areas, I put a piece of tape over the front circular area, then used the equivalent of an Exacto knife (razor blade) and cut the outline of the circular area. Then I used that piece to drop down and cover the bottom of that area. The bottom of the area is actually the backs of the brake disc pads. You can do this for the rear calipers s as well.
  8. A mistake I made was I tried to remove the paint I got on the raised lettering too early. I used a razor blade to scrape the AO paint off, however, the paint on the sides of the lettering and basically the whole caliper was still tacky. When I scraped the lettering, the paint on the end of the scrape wanted to pull the paint at the side of the lettering. I recommend you wait a good 6 hours minimum before you attempt removing this paint. I waited on the other front caliper and it was much easier. I then very carefully hit both sets of lettering with the sanding discs. I then took a can of Hi Temp clear gloss automotive paint, sprayed a little bit in the lid and used a small paint brush to coat the raw aluminum.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:46 AM
Andysherman
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Suggest removing the calipers, as the job will be more complete & no voids that no doubt you'll see at some later point and say, "damn, I wish I took those suckers off & painted them!" It's really easy to remove them, & you then have complete, easy access to paint the entire unit. As others have said, ensure it's been above 55 degrees for at least 6 hours before painting... it will flake off at some point if it's too cold, & if not completely cleaned with brake cleaner... when you think it's completely clean, just hit it one more time!
Old 10-21-2018, 05:11 PM
Wayne88
Race Director

Received 654 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by Ladensack3
Also, how hard would it be to do myself?
Not hard at all.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:33 PM
Boostedsvt
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Just ordered the G2 Kit last night. I’m gonna give it a whirl, maybe it will save me some money over Powdercoating if it turns out nice

Last edited by Boostedsvt; 10-21-2018 at 05:34 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:11 PM
ALS 08
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I went powder coat route.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:54 PM
kperez
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I did mine a few weeks ago, between the primer, caliper paint, gloss finish, break cleaner and rags it cost about $60 and i was able to do it in about 4-5 hours depending on how sunny it is outside so the paint can dry.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:57 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by GHOLD
Its not hard to do it yourself. You need to be able to put your car on jack stands and take off all 4 wheels. No need to remove the calipers, Purchase a G2 epoxy paint kit specifying the body color. It will cost you about $109.00 The kit will have an aerosol can of brake cleaner. Go to the store and buy an additional can of brake cleaner -it is cheap. The key to doing a good job is to clean the calipers extremely well. Using painters tape, mask off the wheel and rotor. Brush on the paint. It will go on thick but it levels off as it dries. If you have raised lettering, sand it down after your paint dries. Remember it must be at least 55 degrees outside for epoxy paint o properly dry. You will not receive much paint, but you will find out it will cover all 4 calipers giving it several coats.The epoxy paint leaves a nice glossy finish.

Love what you've done to the car! Where did you get that windscreen from and how much? I've a vert too, and I've been looking for these.

Old 10-27-2018, 10:35 AM
GHOLD
Advanced

Sorry for the delay as I am traveling out of the country. The deflector is from WindRestrictor. It runs about $400. It makes an amazing difference on the highway cutting the wind buffeting about the cabin in half. You can actually have a conversation with the person next to you without yelling. I also bought the orange light kit to go with the atomic orange body color. I tied the light into the running lights which was pretty simple. You can also tie the light into the brake lights if you prefer. Icecap convinced me this was worthwhile, so if he is reading this, thanks again.

Last edited by GHOLD; 10-27-2018 at 10:49 AM. Reason: adding pic
Old 10-27-2018, 01:54 PM
Batman75
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Powder coat

Last edited by Batman75; 10-27-2018 at 11:10 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Painting brake calipers

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Painting brake calipers