C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Looking for advice on Z06 purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 09:58 AM
Jibber82
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Looking for advice on Z06 purchase

Hi all. I am thinking of buying a used 2016 Z06 in a private sale. The seller is asking 70k. The car has 10k miles, has the Z07 package, is the 3LT trim level, has "brand new" Cup 2 tires, and has a glass roof panel in addition to the carbon one. In your opinion is this a good price for the car? Also, is there anything I should specifically look for when I look at and test drive the car? This would be my first Corvette. Thanks for any advice.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:12 AM
JJLAI724
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

Seems a bit high in price for me. But if this is the one you want then see if you can negotiate it down.

Is it a A8 or M7? Are you planning on tracking the car, I think the A8 are known to have some overheating issues if you are planning on doing so.

Otherwise it's a great car and I don't know of any other issues to be looking out for.

Good luck.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:31 AM
Jibber82
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by JJLAI724
Seems a bit high in price for me. But if this is the one you want then see if you can negotiate it down.

Is it a A8 or M7? Are you planning on tracking the car, I think the A8 are known to have some overheating issues if you are planning on doing so.

Otherwise it's a great car and I don't know of any other issues to be looking out for.

Good luck.
Thank you for the advice. This is the M7. I will certainly try and negotiate the price.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:41 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Price is in the middle of the Private Party price range and about $4K more than trade in value. There may be a couple K more you can get it down but not much. Check Kelley Blue Book.

Bill
Old 10-19-2018, 11:16 AM
snampro
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 166 Posts

I think the price is close to right, maybe a little high? I have the same car, 2016 Z06, two roofs, M7, 3LZ (Z, not LT), but do not have the Z07 package. My tires are PIlot Super Sport and will need to be replaced next year. Mine was certified used from a Chevy dealer with 7,000 miles, and I paid in the range of $65,000, but I honestly think I got a great deal.

I think $70,000 is a fair ask if the car is in great shape mechanically and paint wise. Perhaps you can wiggle him down a little from 70K, though, so give it a shot. If you do pay $70,000 I think you would still get a good deal.

For what it is worth, I love my car. BTW, I wish I had the carbon brakes from the Z07 package, just because they are cool...
Old 10-19-2018, 11:36 AM
Jibber82
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by snampro
I think the price is close to right, maybe a little high? I have the same car, 2016 Z06, two roofs, M7, 3LZ (Z, not LT), but do not have the Z07 package. My tires are PIlot Super Sport and will need to be replaced next year. Mine was certified used from a Chevy dealer with 7,000 miles, and I paid in the range of $65,000, but I honestly think I got a great deal.

I think $70,000 is a fair ask if the car is in great shape mechanically and paint wise. Perhaps you can wiggle him down a little from 70K, though, so give it a shot. If you do pay $70,000 I think you would still get a good deal.

For what it is worth, I love my car. BTW, I wish I had the carbon brakes from the Z07 package, just because they are cool...
Thanks Snampro. Great advice. Appreciate it.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:53 PM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

Probably around $105k sticker so current price is around 35% off which seems fair. If the seller is motivated then may get a few more K off.

High option cars take a beating and over time the difference between 1LZ, 3LZ, other options tend to flatten. However Z07 wil always be worth more since it was $11-12K stand alone option depending on aero package choice which was required.

For reference I got a new 2016 Z07 2LZ M7 Nav/PDR and a few other options in Oct of 2016 for $78K even.

They’re great cars!
Old 10-19-2018, 03:56 PM
Amirns
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

I would say that $70k is too high for the millage and since its a m7. The fair price to me would be $66-67K, but before you purchase the car ask the owner to take it to a chevy dealer and to get it inspected(you pay for that) and make sure they check the brakes (rotors and pads) due to them being VERY expensive, I did the same thing when I bought my car with 6k miles. Get the MRC update done and enjoy it.

Side note: The best 2016 Z06 to buy would be a laguna blue Z07 with competition seats, i feel like that spec would be the most desirable for when you want to resale and they seem to be a bit more expensive than other colors. Good luck
Old 10-19-2018, 04:05 PM
Brewster725
Heel & Toe

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought my 2016 Z06 July 26th 2018 At a dealer Certified used with car fax, the car had 2300 miles on it still under warranty till12/18 19 ,and even more with warranty Certified Pre owned 172 point inspection 12/12/21. Z06 with the Z07 package A8 Trans 2LZ package Carbon fiber ground Effects Z06 Floor mats and I paid 69,990. Talk him down a bit
Old 10-19-2018, 06:19 PM
elburrito99
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the price is fair. My thoughts:
  1. See if you can confirm the original MSRP (yours is likely around $105k with the 3LZ interior and the Z07 package). Someone comparing their 2LZ to yours is not quite apples to apples.
  2. A private seller transaction can save you a LOT of money. In some states (like CA), you pay no sales tax on a used car purchased through a private sale. Here in Los Angeles County (9.5% sales tax), that saves you almost $7k. So getting a slightly better deal from a dealer may not be a better outcome once you add in the sales tax.
  3. Does it have competition seats? If not, you owe it to yourself to visit a dealer and sit in those seats -- especially with the suede inserts. I've never been one to think much of interiors, but the 3LZ plus competition seats with suede inserts may be one of the things I like best about my car. It's what gets the most compliments from my passengers (perhaps even more than the absurd torque/acceleration). Now that I have them, they'd be a deal breaker if I was still looking for a used Z06.
  4. Have a Chevy dealer run a repair/warranty history on the car. If the car has had a LOT of warranty issues (which seem like a small minority of Z06s), then perhaps stay away.
  5. Have a Chevy dealer do a pre-purchase inspection and see how much brake wear there is. The brakes are expensive and excessive brake wear at 10k miles could mean it's spent some time on a track.
  6. Don't let anyone talk you out of a $70k car that you really like just because you might have been able to buy it for $3k less. In the long run, that amount will be meaningless if you find the right car that gives you enjoyment over the next few years. You're already saving a ton of depreciation, so don't sweat 4-5% of purchase price at this point.
If it helps in comparing pricing, This summer I purchased a '16 Z06 M7 3LZ with visible carbon fiber roof, premium paint (Daytona Sunrise Orange), black wheels, and competition seats ($96k MSRP in 2016) with 12,000 miles for $63,000 with brand new Sport Cup 2 tires (mounted when I bought it). I spent almost 2 years looking for an M7 in the specific color combination of DSOM exterior and 3LZ suede Kalahari interior and competition seats (I believe about 1 of 5 made for 2016). I would have paid $3-5k more for the car since it had the only spec combination I'd buy.

Good luck and post pics once you drive it home!

Last edited by elburrito99; 02-21-2019 at 11:05 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:28 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Do yourself a favor and go to advanced search, C7 and used key words for buying, used, not just Z06, etc. Ck box for C7 Gen and Z06. You'll find a lot more suggestions.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:12 AM
Gev
Advanced

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by elburrito99
I think the price is fair. My thoughts:
  1. See if you can confirm the original MSRP (yours is likely around $105k with the 3LZ interior and the Z07 package). Someone comparing their 2LZ to yours is not quite apples to apples.
  2. A private seller transaction can save you a LOT of money. In some states (like CA), you pay no sales tax on a used car purchased through a private sale. Here in Los Angeles County (9.5% sales tax), that saves you almost $7k. So getting a slightly better deal from a dealer may not be a better outcome once you add in the sales tax.
  3. Does it have competition seats? If not, you owe it to yourself to visit a dealer and sit in those seats -- especially with the suede inserts. I've never been one to think much of interiors, but the 3LZ plus competition seats with suede inserts may be one of the things I like best about my car. It's what gets the most compliments from my passengers (perhaps even more than the absurd torque/acceleration). Now that I have them, they'd be a deal breaker if I was still looking for a used Z06.
  4. Have a Chevy dealer run a repair/warranty history on the car. If the car has had a LOT of warranty issues (which seem like a small minority of Z06s), then perhaps stay away.
  5. Have a Chevy dealer do a pre-purchase inspection and see how much brake wear there is. The brakes are expensive and excessive brake wear at 10k miles could mean it's spent some time on a track.
  6. Don't let anyone talk you out of a $70k car that you really like just because you might have been able to buy it for $3k less. In the long run, that amount will be meaningless if you find the right car that gives you enjoyment over the next few years. You're already saving a ton of depreciation, so don't sweat 4-5% of purchase price at this point.
If it helps in comparing pricing, This summer I purchased a '16 Z06 M7 3LZ with visible carbon fiber roof, premium paint (Daytona Sunrise Orange), black wheels, and competition seats ($96k MSRP) with 12,000 miles for $64,000 with brand new Sport Cup 2 tires (mounted when I bought it). I spent almost 2 years looking for an M7 in the specific color combination of DSOM exterior and 3LZ suede Kalahari interior and competition seats (I believe about 1 of 5 made for 2016). I would have paid $3-5k more for the car since it had the only spec combination I'd buy.

Good luck and post pics once you drive it home!
Regarding #2, that's not true. You pay the tax when you register the car.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:16 AM
Gev
Advanced

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

OP, to give you another example I just bought a certified pre-owned 2015 M7 3LZ Z06 with the Z07 package and competition seats with 10k miles for $67k here in LA. It had significant tire wear and some damage to the CF lip in the front but otherwise it was flawless. I think you're getting a fair deal especially since it has the dual roofs and new tires.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:03 AM
Jibber82
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Gev
Regarding #2, that's not true. You pay the tax when you register the car.
I live in NH and there is no sales tax on car purchases. It is true that you pay higher registration fees but even on my brand new 38 thousand dollar Tacoma the registration was approximately $600. Yes I will have to pay the registration every year and it may end up being close to what I would have paid in sales tax but it is over a much much longer period of time.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:53 AM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by Jibber82
Hi all. I am thinking of buying a used 2016 Z06 in a private sale. The seller is asking 70k. The car has 10k miles, has the Z07 package, is the 3LT trim level, has "brand new" Cup 2 tires, and has a glass roof panel in addition to the carbon one. In your opinion is this a good price for the car? Also, is there anything I should specifically look for when I look at and test drive the car? This would be my first Corvette. Thanks for any advice.
Originally Posted by Amirns
I would say that $70k is too high for the millage and since its a m7. The fair price to me would be $66-67K, but before you purchase the car ask the owner to take it to a chevy dealer and to get it inspected(you pay for that) and make sure they check the brakes (rotors and pads) due to them being VERY expensive, I did the same thing when I bought my car with 6k miles. Get the MRC update done and enjoy it.

Side note: The best 2016 Z06 to buy would be a laguna blue Z07 with competition seats, i feel like that spec would be the most desirable for when you want to resale and they seem to be a bit more expensive than other colors. Good luck
i agree with above that $70k is high for a ‘16MY with those miles.
$66-67k is a good target to me too.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:10 PM
1 HOT 07
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

Not sure where you are from, but here in Arizona you do not pay sales tax on private purchases. Even when you register them, you do not pay "sales" tax, only registration fees and it is based on the value or your car regardless of whether you paid any sales tax or not.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for advice on Z06 purchase

Quick Reply: Looking for advice on Z06 purchase