C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

82 ignition module replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 12:24 PM
donaldbly
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 82 ignition module replacement

Is it necessary to remove spark plug wires from distributor to replace ignition control module?
Old 10-19-2018, 01:37 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,005 Likes on 688 Posts

No, if you have enough slack in the wires to lean the cap over forward to get at the module, you will have to take the rotor off though to make it easy. You will also need some heat transfer grease to apply to the bottom of the module.
The following users liked this post:
donaldbly (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 04:48 PM
donaldbly
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your response Buccaneer!
Old 10-19-2018, 06:13 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Like Buccaneer said, you can usually get away with removing only four plug wires, then tilt the cap. Make note (pic) how they are routed. If the plug wires are not tagged with a number kit, use masking tape and number each one removed. Cap should be labeled too.

Maybe tough to find "Heat Sink Compound" but that is a must under the new modge. Try Google. Comes as a small tube paste. I found some yrs ago at Radio Shack.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:07 PM
Drifter36
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I changed mine a couple of weeks ago. I took off the 4 passenger side wires 8-4-3-6 and flopped the distributor cap onto the driver side, secured with a short bungee. It just made an easy job a little easier.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:41 PM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

I recently replaced mine. Your new module should have come in the box with a small cellophane packet of the crucial grease that you'll apply to the bottom of the new module. Or, it will overheat and fry. Also, while it is disassembled it is your opportunity to replace the 36 year old coil since you need to remove it anyway - and, perhaps the cap if it's old. At least brush the oxidation off of the internal leads and rotor. All I know is that after I replaced them as a set (for precautionary measures), holy cow did I immediately discover how the car can suddenly spring to life, now usually starting right up in under one cranking revolution. It was a very.unexpected surprise as evidently the spark became hotter because I had changed nothing else.

Info only -

D
Old 10-20-2018, 05:59 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,005 Likes on 688 Posts

OK, I do stand to be corrected...a little on my reply. If your motor is bone stock complete with 82 heat shields, you "may" not be able to just lay it over without removing a couple wires since it is a little tight, but it is still simple. Also like mentioned, marking the wires goes a "very long" way to making sure you don't get it wrong. I was basing my first reply on my motor which is custom made individual wires by me and I have no issues just laying mine over if needed. I didn't know that they supplied the heat grease, but maybe they do/will. You can also use PC CPU grease (the good stuff) or CPU heat transfer tape which works OK as well and won't dry up after a while. It's the same tape that Intel uses on their new CPUs with cooling fan, just put it on to cover one side and bolt it back in. You can find it online.
The following users liked this post:
HeadsU.P. (10-20-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To 82 ignition module replacement

Quick Reply: 82 ignition module replacement