C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Front fender vent issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 06:49 PM
pnoman
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Front fender vent issues

As a lot of you here I also have problems with my front vents, I don’t have any paint issues because I had my vents removed before installing PPF. It’s clear that the film is protecting the paint because the film is getting creased in that area. I brought this to the attention of my selling dealer which in the end told me to contact GM customer service, after a few weeks of updates from them telling me they were working on a solution they came to the conclusion that I could purchase new vents at jobber price. Basically if I didn’t have the film installed they would be obligated to paint my fenders but wont warranty the vents (thanks GM great customer service). I was also told that the 2019 vents don’t come painted and I would have to take care of that myself, can anyone verify this? Mine are carbon flash.
Two weeks ago I just gave them $120k for a new Escalade makes me wonder if I made a bad decision.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:06 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

First, unfortunately, you are right about a lot of fender/hood paint problems. I hate to be mean but the part about $120K for an Escalade was a bad decision. I looked 'cause that seemed Extremely high. I couldn't find any '19 Escalade, no matter what options, for even a MSRP near that price including the 4wd, 4 door, Platinum series. Just saying since you SORTA asked about the Escalade in reference to buying that & then being treated as you were by same dealer.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:27 PM
pnoman
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I’m in canada so list price was over 116k, got a bit of a discount plus 13% sales taxes - you do the math, it was actually over 120k
thanks
Old 10-19-2018, 11:55 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by pnoman
As a lot of you here I also have problems with my front vents, I don’t have any paint issues because I had my vents removed before installing PPF. It’s clear that the film is protecting the paint because the film is getting creased in that area. I brought this to the attention of my selling dealer which in the end told me to contact GM customer service, after a few weeks of updates from them telling me they were working on a solution they came to the conclusion that I could purchase new vents at jobber price. Basically if I didn’t have the film installed they would be obligated to paint my fenders but wont warranty the vents (thanks GM great customer service). I was also told that the 2019 vents don’t come painted and I would have to take care of that myself, can anyone verify this? Mine are carbon flash.
Two weeks ago I just gave them $120k for a new Escalade makes me wonder if I made a bad decision.
buy the carbon fiber vents on fleabay for $258 shipped.i did.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-14-Up-C...s/323107491204
Attachment 48350565
Attachment 48341959

Last edited by lordofwar; 10-19-2018 at 11:59 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:13 AM
GarryL
Burning Brakes

Received 894 Likes on 309 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified

Unfortunately, GM expects us to bear the burden of diminished value with our cars due to their design flaws and I find this disgusting on their part! There is a ton of posts on this issue and the paint flaking issue on the front bumper fascia where it meets the front fenders as well. GM will authorize re-paint, but no longer will authorize factory painted parts as warranty replacements. So, like I said, their stance to us as their loyal customers, is to just suck it up and swallow the diminished value should we choose to sell our cars. After all, what is one of the first things we ask, or think of when we look at buying a used Corvette, or any car for that matter; Has it ever had any body work or re-paint? and GM doesn't give a rip for our loss! Sad, Sad, Sad!
Old 10-20-2018, 12:38 AM
Vegas1500
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 256 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by pnoman
I’m in canada so list price was over 116k, got a bit of a discount plus 13% sales taxes - you do the math, it was actually over 120k
thanks
the new vents will come carbon flash. I went through this with a dealer in Edmonton. I chose, at this time not to have both my fenders repainted due to a GM flaw. I modified my vents, shimmed them out and am happy with the end result. Before my warranty is up I may have the fenders repainted.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:28 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegas1500

the new vents will come carbon flash. I went through this with a dealer in Edmonton. I chose, at this time not to have both my fenders repainted due to a GM flaw. I modified my vents, shimmed them out and am happy with the end result. Before my warranty is up I may have the fenders repainted.
I would never let any dealer do any paint work on my vette.all you hear is horror stories.they cannot reproduce factoy finish.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:44 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,756 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Mine were touched up by a body shop with an airbrush and they are flawless.

new vents have nubs on back and are smaller all around...

a good shop can do it. Key word being GOOD.

I have a couple threads on the process my car went through. Video and pics.
The following users liked this post:
Vegas1500 (10-21-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Front fender vent issues

Quick Reply: Front fender vent issues