Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

COPO Z06? Just a Thought

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 09:31 PM
FastAgain
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default COPO Z06? Just a Thought

Does anyone know the clearance between the intake and hood on a C6 Z06?

I ask because I was impressed by the COPO 427 installed in a handful of late model Camaros, and began to wonder if there was any possibility of using that engine configuration in a C6 Z06. For that particular engine setup, the tunnel ram is a major contributor to it's power output, and really can't be swapped out for a different intake. I'm trying to determine how much more clearance I would need, to fit that engine under an obviously modified hood, and what impact the extra dimensions would have on the car's lines. Yes, this is a theoretical exercise....

Thanks!

Old 10-19-2018, 10:37 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Scroll down to pictures #3 & 4 in this post. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...&postcount=394

Not for the faint of heart.
The following users liked this post:
FastAgain (10-20-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 06:18 PM
FastAgain
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Scroll down to pictures #3 & 4 in this post. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1598139666&postcount=394

Not for the faint of heart.
AWESOME CAR!

I suspect that this engine was configured similarly to the COPO 427, at least with respect to valve timing, and induction. That massive plenum is a big part of the extra torque generated by the motor, and the shortened runners have both much higher flow characteristics than the stock units, and resonate at a higher frequency (rpm). If my quick acoustic calculations are correct, this presents a maximum pressure pulse at the intake valve, as late as 50 degrees ABDC @ 6,300 RPM - that column of air moving down the intake runner has a lot of velocity, and significant mass, giving it a substantial amount of momentum. It's that very momentum that allows the intake to keep filling the cylinder with fuel/air mixture, so late after the piston is headed back up into the bore, after BDC. The end result is a possible VE of around 120% - or more - yielding those impressive torque numbers. BSFC suffers a bit, especially below 3,000, probably because overlap is a bit excessive, IMHO. However, on the pragmatic side, that radical valve timing helps the motor keep a lower dynamic compression ratio (I think it's 13:1, static, on the COPO version, and about 10:1 dynamic), again, especially at lower rpms, reducing stresses for street use. I was buoyed by his power numbers, as my own theoretical values came in at 665-675, sans N2O. This is great news; the configuration may just fit under a custom hood that's maybe an inch taller than that on a ZR-1!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR SHARING!!!!

Last edited by FastAgain; 10-20-2018 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:52 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 897 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by FastAgain
AWESOME CAR!

I suspect that this engine was configured similarly to the COPO 427, at least with respect to valve timing, and induction. That massive plenum is a big part of the extra torque generated by the motor, and the shortened runners have both much higher flow characteristics than the stock units, and resonate at a higher frequency (rpm). If my quick acoustic calculations are correct, this presents a maximum pressure pulse at the intake valve, as late as 50 degrees ABDC @ 6,300 RPM - that column of air moving down the intake runner has a lot of velocity, and significant mass, giving it a substantial amount of momentum. It's that very momentum that allows the intake to keep filling the cylinder with fuel/air mixture, so late after the piston is headed back up into the bore, after BDC. The end result is a possible VE of around 120% - or more - yielding those impressive torque numbers. BSFC suffers a bit, especially below 3,000, probably because overlap is a bit excessive, IMHO. However, on the pragmatic side, that radical valve timing helps the motor keep a lower dynamic compression ratio (I think it's 13:1, static, on the COPO version, and about 10:1 dynamic), again, especially at lower rpms, reducing stresses for street use. I was buoyed by his power numbers, as my own theoretical values came in at 665-675, sans N2O. This is great news; the configuration may just fit under a custom hood that's maybe an inch taller than that on a ZR-1!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR SHARING!!!!
I wouldn't bet on that. While the rear of the manifold is not that much higher than the stock hood line, it's the front portion that is a pain to fit. I'd venture to guess that with some Hinson lower than stock mounts and POSSIBLY a VFN 4.5 cowl, it MIGHT fit without cutting the hood. You will still need to cut the cowl to make the manifold fit.

The linked thread is mine. I am running, roughly, 11.9 SCR and a 243/258 114+3 camshaft. Peak HP is 7200 rpm.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:54 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

My buddy is also running a hi ram on his stock bottom end 427. He has a tad higher SCR, larger camshaft, Brodix heads, and he is making 680whp.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:12 PM
FastAgain
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jayyyw
I wouldn't bet on that. While the rear of the manifold is not that much higher than the stock hood line, it's the front portion that is a pain to fit. I'd venture to guess that with some Hinson lower than stock mounts and POSSIBLY a VFN 4.5 cowl, it MIGHT fit without cutting the hood. You will still need to cut the cowl to make the manifold fit.

The linked thread is mine. I am running, roughly, 11.9 SCR and a 243/258 114+3 camshaft. Peak HP is 7200 rpm.

Allow me to congratulate you on an incredible piece of engineering. The thought, effort, and inspiration that went into your machine are worthy of great respect; the hardware choices, software, tuning, etc, are all critical to the end result - one weak link and it all would have come tumbling down, but not only did it not, but you're putting down some incredible numbers as well! I will certainly take your advice on the hood/cowl and motor mount setup, should I endeavor to take my ride up to that level.

I would just like to ask one other question; was I close on the peak torque and VE (120%) @ 6,300? I ask because, while not being very experienced on the building of these incredible motors, I am a physics professor, and I like to compare my theoretical constructs with those who have actually accomplished these feats, not just written about them!

Again, fantastic ride!

Old 10-21-2018, 09:22 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 809 Likes on 533 Posts

have you considered using cradle spacers to essentially give the front end a body lift?
that's what a couple guys've done to run e-force & heartbeat blowers under stock C5 hoods, and i was gonna use them to fit a 1/2" plenum spacer on my TVS.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:17 AM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by FastAgain
Allow me to congratulate you on an incredible piece of engineering. The thought, effort, and inspiration that went into your machine are worthy of great respect; the hardware choices, software, tuning, etc, are all critical to the end result - one weak link and it all would have come tumbling down, but not only did it not, but you're putting down some incredible numbers as well! I will certainly take your advice on the hood/cowl and motor mount setup, should I endeavor to take my ride up to that level.

I would just like to ask one other question; was I close on the peak torque and VE (120%) @ 6,300? I ask because, while not being very experienced on the building of these incredible motors, I am a physics professor, and I like to compare my theoretical constructs with those who have actually accomplished these feats, not just written about them!

Again, fantastic ride!
Thanks for the kind words.

Peak torque is roughly 5250rpms.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:55 AM
FastAgain
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jayyyw
Thanks for the kind words.

Peak torque is roughly 5250rpms.
Thanks for the 411; time to go back to the FFTs and figure out where I goofed!
Old 10-22-2018, 09:42 AM
FastAgain
Intermediate

Originally Posted by _zebra
have you considered using cradle spacers to essentially give the front end a body lift?
that's what a couple guys've done to run e-force & heartbeat blowers under stock C5 hoods, and i was gonna use them to fit a 1/2" plenum spacer on my TVS.
Thank you for the idea; once again, your knowledge of these machines is far more practical than mine. I have no idea of what's available, and who makes it, which seems to be the story of my hi-po life. My first car was a 1969 AMX with a 290, which I swapped out for a 1972 401, which I re-built with all the engineering brilliance of a a typical high-school teen-ager. All I knew about was stock parts, and what was worse, we had very few aftermarket parts available for our engines/cars by the time I was building (1981), as so few of them were built.

Old 10-23-2018, 01:42 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

This guy a couple years back did a 454 w/Holley Hi-Ram and had RK sport build a custom hood. You can see how involved that is to get a Hi-Ram to fit under the hood. As Jay mentioned above, its not the back of the intake that problematic, its the front as it doesn't follow the body/hood lines.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1593115001

Get notified of new replies

To COPO Z06? Just a Thought

Quick Reply: COPO Z06? Just a Thought