C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED HELP! Torque converter

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 04:17 AM
bamavette11
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AL Events Coordinator

Default NEED HELP! Torque converter

Any help is much appreciated.
I have 2001 auto, I had recently rebuilt the engine and upgraded to a large cam. So..I installed a TCI torque converter, after install it drove fine but I was just not happy with how it performed. I then purchased a new Yank converter. When I installed the Yank converter, reassembled the car it would not move. The trans is going in gear, but car does not move, wheels do not turn. I then again dropped trans and torque tube thinking maybe I didn't seat the converter all the way. I have the converter all the way down, reassembled and same issue. Does anyone have any idea of what I am missing?
Thanks in advance
Old 10-20-2018, 07:14 AM
tbrowne
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts

Did you inspect the pump for damage? If there is a chance the torque converter wasn't fully seated when you bolted it up to the drive shaft, then the pump was most likely damaged and will need to be repaired. Double check that the trans has the proper fluid fill and all of the electrical connections are tight.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:44 AM
bamavette11
Instructor

AL Events Coordinator

Thanks tbrowne, I will check the pump.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:16 AM
tbrowne
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts

I might add that if the pump was damaged, the trans fluid will be contaminated and the trans will need to be rebuilt. The torque converter should also be sent back to Yank for cleaning before it's reinstalled. There aren't any other good options and neither trans nor converter will last long if both aren't done.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:09 PM
foggy
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Exactly as stated above.. Good advice on pump damage
Old 10-22-2018, 08:31 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by foggy
Exactly as stated above.. Good advice on pump damage

I hate to admit it, but I did something similar, when I had the tranny "re-done" for a mid-90s Camaro that I used to own. Did the R&R myself, and when I installed the new converter, I didn't get it fully seated, I thought "two clicks" was seated, but it was actually 3. I fired up the car, still on the jackstands, and the "wheels no turn". Spoke to the gentleman that rebuilt the tranny, and he asked how many "clicks" the converter made, when I installed it. I told him, and he replied, "Take it back out and bring it back....you didn't get it fully seated, and just effed-up the pump"...…...
Old 10-22-2018, 10:19 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Is the trans properly filled and topped off with fluid??

When you properly seat the converter and have it pressed all the way into the pump, it will actually contact some of the fasteners on the pump if the converter is rotated (before it bolted to the flex plate). I installed a new converter into an A4 and thought I did something wrong. Discussed it with a trans expert and he stated that it was normal and the converter does NOT sit that far in once its bolted to the flex plate.

Hope you didn't wind up damaging anything.

Did you have to FORCE the TT bell housing to the trans when you mated them up??
You should NEVER have to force it.

BC

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 10-22-2018 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:44 AM
killian96ss
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 181 Posts

Most converters have a locating pin that needs to slide into the back of the crank. I've seen and also personally had problems with aftermarket converters that wouldn't locate properly because the pin was either too big or powder coated which also increases the diameter so it doesn't slide in properly. If it's just too much paint, you can just sand it off till it fits, but if the pin is bare metal and still too big, your better off sending it back because trying to remove metal to make it fit might also cause it to become unbalanced. I've also seen aftermarket converters that needed washers added between the converter mounting tabs and flexplate in order to not only make sure the locating pin was properly inserted into the crank, but also to make sure converter end play was within spec. I'm not sure if any of this applies to a vette since they use a TT, but thought I'd mention it anyway.

Steve

Last edited by killian96ss; 10-22-2018 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Added information
Old 10-22-2018, 11:06 AM
bamavette11
Instructor

AL Events Coordinator

Thanks guys for all of your input. I will be checking and filling trans fluid and checking all connections. If that doesn't do it, I guess I will once again disassemble the rear end and tranny. @BillCurlee, I did not force the TT bell housing in the tranny, it lined right up. It did "click" 3 times when I was installing the TC, that is why I was certain it was seated properly.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:22 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The trans FILL procedure is very specific. MUST be followed to the "T" using the service manual fill /check instructions. Must be done engine running and drivetrain fully warmed from under the car.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, many people get this procedure wrong.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:50 PM
pjensen
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
The trans FILL procedure is very specific. MUST be followed to the "T" using the service manual fill /check instructions. Must be done engine running and drivetrain fully warmed from under the car.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, many people get this procedure wrong.
Agree completely.

I even had a (well known) high end corvette shop here in Dallas mess it up. I had to do it myself - it was a quart short. I guess they don't handle many automatic transmissions. Or they were looking for more work...

Get notified of new replies

To NEED HELP! Torque converter

Quick Reply: NEED HELP! Torque converter