C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Request Door Ajar Switch Schematic 1992

Old 10-20-2018, 01:49 PM
mixalive
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Request Door Ajar Switch Schematic 1992

I am looking for the electrical circuit schematic diagram that includes the Door Ajar switch circuit for my 92 base model. I need to shake down why my ajar indicator and interior lights are coming on intermittently while I am driving. Thanks,
Terry

Last edited by mixalive; 10-20-2018 at 10:24 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:01 PM
mixalive
Pro

Still looking for that schematic. When the passenger door is closed, the interior lights and ajar indicator intermittently come on. When the passenger door switch is depressed while the door is open, normal operation. When the passenger door is closed, I can slap the passenger door panel and the interior lights come on and off.

Thanks,

Terry

Last edited by mixalive; 10-24-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:46 PM
Eilias
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

The door switch has a "plunger" that extends from the middle of it. If it is pushed all the way in, it won't work properly with the door closed, but it will work with you pushing the switch. Try to pry the plunger out of the middle, but don't remove it. A knife or thin flathead work best for this.

If that is where your issue lies you can either replace the switch or jam something behind the plunger. I've replaced my drivers side twice and in the end just got a used door switch (much more durable than ecklers imo) and shoved paper under the plunger and it's still working for me.

If this doesn't solve it I'll look for the schematic in the FSM later.
The following users liked this post:
mixalive (10-23-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 04:56 PM
mlm0
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

I had very similar problem after I adjusted door. I bought a small flat round magnet from hobby lobby or any craft store, and attached it to door where it makes contact with switch. No more problem
mixalive (10-23-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 05:34 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

not sure where you're at with the repair, but there is a basic issue with the door ajar switch(s) -

from another post on the subject - you may not need to replace the switch. you'll need to pull out the inner barrel for some minor rework. I did this on my 85's originals about a year ago, and still working like new.

on the door panel "door ajar" switch, there is a center button within a barrel, and that barrel slides in and out of the switch housing. if you look closely at the outer barrel sleeve, you'll see two small notches -

that notch end seems to be the problem. it looks like over time the end mushrooms out just enough, that when the switch is depressed, causes it to stick - it doesn't take too much to make the assembly inoperative. not sure why, but that seems to be the issue. it might have something to do with the center button going into a set position when the switch is first installed.

anyway - take some 400-600 grit sandpaper, and lightly dress down the (notched) end of the barrel. clean it up a bit, and maybe follow up with some 800-1000 grit. keep everything clean, and smooth it down as much as possible. follow up with a light coat of silicone grease or white lithium grease. exercise the switch barrel in and out several times. do not lube with anything in an aerosol can, nothing petroleum based, and definitely not WD-40.

note - you do not have to remove the switch assembly for this repair. easy to do "on car."

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-switches.html

Last edited by Joe C; 11-10-2018 at 03:54 AM.
mixalive (10-23-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 10:49 AM
mixalive
Pro

Thanks for the tips. I will try this afternoon. I was really dreading removing the door panel for an electrical issue.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:02 PM
mixalive
Pro

This is how i did it.

Get notified of new replies

To Request Door Ajar Switch Schematic 1992

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Request Door Ajar Switch Schematic 1992