C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Wrong top?

Old 10-20-2018, 02:57 PM
Tony Thompson
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrong top?

So fun story.
I lost my top due to unforeseen circumstances and I ended up ordering a new one that was said to fit an 85 Corvette (my year) anyways I went to put it on and the rear lines up just fine and screws in but the two front brackets seems to be in the place of a separate hole (left) when they are supposed to score into another (right) . Does anyone know why this is? Why there's 2 separate holes for the top? Or if it easier to just drill holes in the new top, and swap the bracket over or if its possible to take the trim piece off where the sun visors attach and just swap the screw hole brackets around?
Old 10-20-2018, 03:13 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

There were 3 different front bolt patterns by year for the C4 coupe. 84-early 86, late 86 to 88 and 89-96. Sounds like you didn't get the correct top for your year C4. Any chance you can return the new top for the correct one?
Old 10-20-2018, 03:25 PM
Tony Thompson
Heel & Toe

Default Nope

Unfortunately not. The guy I bought it online from said it was an top from a 85 vette so I'm slightly peeved
Old 10-20-2018, 07:48 PM
RArline
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Check your front brackets to see if they haven't been changed. I have an 88 and found out that the top had been replaced with an earlier first edition top. I changed my brackets back to the correct year brackets and got a second edition top that wasn't cracked as the one on the car when I got it. Not very hard to change the brackets and you only need to change the front ones the rears are the same for all c4's. And the trim piece across the top may have to be changed for the holes to line up.

I wanted to have the correct year top for my car.

I have a set of early brackets if anyone needs them.

Check to see if your top is the correct one here.

http://www.mirrockcorvette.com/corve...shieldbrackets

Last edited by RArline; 10-20-2018 at 08:09 PM. Reason: added link
Old 10-25-2018, 02:41 PM
Tony Thompson
Heel & Toe

Default Reply

Originally Posted by RArline
Check your front brackets to see if they haven't been changed. I have an 88 and found out that the top had been replaced with an earlier first edition top. I changed my brackets back to the correct year brackets and got a second edition top that wasn't cracked as the one on the car when I got it. Not very hard to change the brackets and you only need to change the front ones the rears are the same for all c4's. And the trim piece across the top may have to be changed for the holes to line up.

I wanted to have the correct year top for my car.

I have a set of early brackets if anyone needs them.

Check to see if your top is the correct one here.

http://www.mirrockcorvette.com/corve...shieldbrackets
I read that article and unfortunately it wasn't very helpful in finding out which brackets are witch?
Are the early year c4 brackets closer to the inside or the outside or vice versa?
anyone with a c4 post a picture of your brackets with the top off and name your year it would be extremely helpful
Old 10-25-2018, 02:43 PM
Tony Thompson
Heel & Toe

I have an 88 and found out that the top had been replaced with an earlier first edition top.

the point where it screws into the top, were they closer to the inside or farther out?
Old 10-25-2018, 02:55 PM
WhiteC1
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Default Targa Top Differences

Originally Posted by Tony Thompson
I have an 88 and found out that the top had been replaced with an earlier first edition top.

the point where it screws into the top, were they closer to the inside or farther out?
Tony,
This link should give you the information you need.

http://mirrockcorvette.com/corvette-...able-tops.html

Regards,
John
Old 10-26-2018, 12:30 AM
RArline
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

That's the same link I posted.
1st Design (1984 – Early 1986) 28" on center distance between front mounting bolts.
Measure your top to see if it is 28 inches and measure the mounting brackets to see if they are 28 inches. If they aren't the same the one that's not 28 inches apart is not the correct year top or brackets for your car.
Old 10-26-2018, 05:31 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Hi
You can fit the header brackets to suit the year roof you have, will require the correct year windshield header and top trim pieces.
I have the 89 - 96 year roof on my 85, a bit of a pain to align the front header brackets correctly.
You can drill new holes in your header trim panel to suit the newer roof, if tight for cash.

Good Luck

Get notified of new replies

To Wrong top?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wrong top?