C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 select drive

Old 10-20-2018, 05:33 PM
Dbigrredd
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C6 select drive

I have a 2005 base and looking to change out the shocks. Really dont want to spend the money on the the selective ride ones though. My question is this, would simulators be the go or would programming out the selective ride be better. I live in Omaha and the shops I've called so far dont know or dont have the equipment to turn off that function. If simulators are the way to go, what is proven to work. Also any recommendation on shocks would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 10-21-2018, 10:30 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,002 Likes on 2,166 Posts

If your going to remove the MRC shocks and install standard shocks like the Blistein B6's, then programming the F55 out of the BCM is the way to go.

Enough of us have Tech II's, so may luck out with someone local to you in Omaha with one that can give you a hand once you have the new shock on the car.
Note, don't turn off the F55 controller until you have the new shocks on the car. The MRC shocks need the power to them to dampen correctly and running them without power from the F55 module will make the suspension way too soft isntead.
To add, there are a couple of use in Denver that have Tech II, but would be a major drive to make out this way.

Here is the Tech II programing to turn off the F55 module in BCM, so if a shop around you has a tech II, then just show them the video since its that easy to program the F55 out on the C6. Skip to the 3:00 mark on how to use the tech II. Also note that you don't need the ride height sensor each corner once you pull the MRC shock, so you can remove them and there pig tails as well when installing the B6 shocks for the base model vet.

As for the select ride connector, with the F55 disabled on the car, you can remove it, and just install the plain tomb stone isntead.

the tombstone with dial is removed from unsnapping it from the rear with a plastic wedge tool, then canting it up and out, and disconnecting the Select ride connector .

If you fish around next to the F55 connector, will find another smaller connector, and can be used for the 05 type tombstone that had a indicator on it to show if you turned the SRS airbag off in the glove box for the passenger side.

________________________________________ _____________________
Now to really back it up, The C6 MRC shocks are good for over 100k miles, and do not wear out like standard shocks in say 50K mile or faster instead.
So if your removing the shocks in say less than 120K miles, they don't have an actual leaking problem to justify replacing them (check the fluid on a paper towel with a magnet that should stick if it really fluid from the MRC shocks), then pulling the shocks and installing B6's will not be an upgrade to start with.

Hence on the F55 cars, what happen is someone lowers.slams the car, does not get the car back into corner balance, nor adjusts the ride height sensors to get them back into voltage ranges all together, and its these two that cause the handling problems. Worse yet, when the car is lowered, you have to do a realignment of the tires, and if this was well not done, causes handling problem as well.

So would start with finding someone that has a tech I, get the car on level ground, start it, then go in with the tech II to pull up the F55 module data and take a good look at each corner's ride height sensor voltage readings. the sensor should be close to 3 volts/very close to each other as well, and if the voltage reading are all over the map different then each other, then time to have the car re-corner balance, the wheel alignment done on all 4 tires, then go back and readjust the ride height sensor to get them all back in range.back together. Hence F55 module is controlling the MRC shock with part of that being the ride height sensor readings, and if they are screwed up, then the F55 module is not going to control the suspension correctly as well.

Also, with the car slammed with after market ride height adjusters, the after market ride height adjusters tend to go south in a year, and cause suspension problems on there own. So nothing wrong with lowering the car (single rib cut from OEM adjusters), but corner balance needs to be maintained, alignment needs to be maintained, and a quick check of the ride height adjusters to make sure they are all still in the correct voltage range as well.
Note on a 05, even with OEM ride height adjusters, will bank that they are mushroomed to hell, and due for a replacement to start with.
https://www.corvettecentral.com/c6-0...2f%3fcount%3d9

as for the ride height sensors, they are not so much a linear movement in they way the work, so with the car on level ground and corner balanced, we are targeting all the ride height sensors to 3 Volt output same/same, since this puts the sensor arm at the square point to the suspension connection point. Some times is a matter of just loosening the sensor bracket bolt and twisting.retighing the bolt for the need adjustments to get the sensor to the 3v point with the car on level ground, while other time is a mater of popping the arm to adjust the linkage that way isntead.
Note as the C6 leaves the assembly line at the plant and taking over to the final adjustment pit as the last step, these are when the final tweaks are made to the car. Hence alignment and corner balance checked/adjustment, then final adjustment to the Ride height sensors on F55 cars to bring them all into the same voltage readings.

Myself, and if the MRC shocks where still good, would GS F55 suspension mod the car with the MRC shocks in play isntead.
Hence change out the front trans spring to a Fe3 (note, there are two different FE3 front springs, one for manual, and one for auto trans, with the auto trans FE3 spring begin slightly stiffer),
Swap in Z51 sways bars with Poly bushings front and back,
Replace the ride height adjusters with OEM new ones, corner balance, and do a wheel alignment.
Reflash the F55 module with GS F55 firmware, and re-adjust the F55 ride height sensors as needed to get them them into the 3 volt reading with the car level.

Hence the F55 suspension got very good on the GS and ZR1 model cars, better yet on the C7 cars, but on the C6 stock base models with base suspension parts before this point, was so/so at best.

Last edited by Dano523; 10-21-2018 at 11:16 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:26 AM
Dbigrredd
5th Gear

Default C6 select drive

Thanks for the info. Alot to take in here. My 06 has 116k. The shocks are leaking, and I know that is common, but the problem is the passenger front. Hits pretty hard on bumpy road. I watched the video, and would like to know a good web site to buy a tech2 that would work along with the proper card for it. Once again any info would be appreciated. Thanks again.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:11 AM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,935 Likes on 2,466 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

in the link below is a place numerous forum members have purchased their Tech II clones from without any issues...................

http://www.chinacardiags.com/wholesa...l-package.html
Old 11-01-2018, 04:27 AM
Dbigrredd
5th Gear

Default C6 select drive

Once again thanks for all the help. I have the tech2 coming and I should have it next week. One other quick question. I'm planning on going with the b6 bilstein shocks and I noticed that the rear magnetic shocks have a plate that the shock is attached too. Will I be able to remove that from that shock and install them onto the bilstein shocks or will that have to be purchased separately. Thanks again. Appreciate the help
Old 11-01-2018, 09:50 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Rear old MRC shock top plates will be reused with the new shocks.

Last edited by Dano523; 11-01-2018 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:23 PM
Dbigrredd
5th Gear

Thanks!!
Old 11-10-2018, 03:02 PM
Dbigrredd
5th Gear

Default C6 select drive

Just an update,..replaced my magnetic ride shocks with some Bilsteins and used the Tech2 to remove the program. All is good...Thanks again guys
The following users liked this post:
wideglideleon (02-11-2020)
Old 11-11-2018, 01:48 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dbigrredd
Just an update,..replaced my magnetic ride shocks with some Bilsteins and used the Tech2 to remove the program. All is good...Thanks again guys
Good time to pull the ride height sensors, and even the shocks and their connectors/pig tails, and put them up for sale on the EE.
Just note that the shocks that where leaking,since the other ones are still fine, and could help someone else out if they are looking to keep the F55 system in the car.
Old 11-23-2022, 09:44 AM
IMNOPRO
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can tech2 bypass the ride height sensors?

I broke my rear left ride height sensor on my 2011 grand sport and now the car is limited at 80mph max speed. Is there a way to just bypass these as I'm going with coilovers and will be bypassing the mag ride shocks too.
Old 11-27-2022, 04:53 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by IMNOPRO
I broke my rear left ride height sensor on my 2011 grand sport and now the car is limited at 80mph max speed. Is there a way to just bypass these as I'm going with coilovers and will be bypassing the mag ride shocks too.

Tech II to turn off rear time dampening in the BCM, once you have MRC shocks out of play.

As for ride height sensor, easy enough to replace with a good used working unit, and unless you are a master at dialing in the coil over system, way better off with the F55 system and updated firmware setting instead. Don't get me wrong, and the coil overs do solve the trans spring problem for the 1% of road course guys that are talented enough to set them up correctly, but for the other 99% just running HPDE event type training, F55 system firmware tweak and correct corner balancing end up being the better mod instead.

https://jimmero.com/

Get notified of new replies

To C6 select drive

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C6 select drive