The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Default Craigslist jewel

So i have seen this one offered for a while,
Lots of rust and parts gone,
Is there 1500 here? Dont wait better jump

jewel

Someone should start a thread with cool net finds like this one..
Old 10-21-2018, 06:06 AM
Z06LMB
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 133 Posts

How is this any “jewel?” Unless there are good parts you need that figure to be a lot less than you could buy it anywhere else, then it might be worth it. I think crap like this is just a big headache to deal with and that has to be figured into the question.

Old 10-21-2018, 06:24 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06LMB
How is this any “jewel?” Unless there are good parts you need that figure to be a lot less than you could buy it anywhere else, then it might be worth it. I think crap like this is just a big headache to deal with and that has to be figured into the question.

If a person is looking for a low dollar project car and can do one hell of a lot of the work themselves, it's probably not a bad start, but I say that from only seeing the pix. It may be way worse in person, or not so bad.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:11 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

My use of the term "jewel" was in the same vein like when a fat guy gets nicknamed slim,

Old 10-21-2018, 07:27 AM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
My use of the term "jewel" was in the same vein like when a fat guy gets nicknamed slim,

So if I`m reading it right, he wants $4500 for two complete cars, and two "half" cars, with a couple titles. I would bet, with 3 grand cash, I could haul it all away. To me, that would be a good deal for a project... IF I were looking for one, IF I had the garage space, and IF I was more interested in the later C3s. Pick through it all, use what I need, with plenty of left over parts to sell, to help fund the project. In the past, I have actually started with less than what`s offered here, and built some pretty amazing results from it.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:07 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

this is the reason the later C3 is so cheap across the board. if these 77 to 81 cars were anything else, they woulda been chrushed and turned into 92 or so accords. then crushed again and turned into 05 accords. but since they are corvettes, they sit in somebody's yard for sale...
Old 10-21-2018, 08:17 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,295 Likes on 3,920 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I lilke this one. less of a hulk, more of a barn find type of deal
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...40558429972047

its in Chase mills NY, pretty much Canada. I wish I had the cash. It would be a fun restoration

Last edited by Rescue Rogers; 10-21-2018 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:38 AM
Z06LMB
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mcrider
If a person is looking for a low dollar project car and can do one hell of a lot of the work themselves, it's probably not a bad start, but I say that from only seeing the pix. It may be way worse in person, or not so bad.
I serious doubt it’s not as bad as the pictures.
There are thousands of these late model C3’s around that are daily drivers for less than $10K, what logical reason would anybody want to start at the POS level? Bragging rights you spent $25,000 to have a $10,000 car? Show that you’re so talented to turn a pos into something better?
I could be a little more enthusiastic if these were rare or desirable models, but base cars?
Old 10-21-2018, 08:42 AM
Z06LMB
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
I lilke this one. less of a hulk, more of a barn find type of deal
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...40558429972047

its in Chase mills NY, pretty much Canada. I wish I had the cash. It would be a fun restoration
Getting better! If bird cage and frame are descent this care has potential!
Old 10-21-2018, 08:55 AM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Received 381 Likes on 294 Posts

What a shame, was a nice car some time back...….
Old 10-21-2018, 09:09 AM
Zealot
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 108 Posts

There are thousands of these late model C3’s around that are daily drivers for less than $10K, what logical reason would anybody want to start at the POS level? Bragging rights you spent $25,000 to have a $10,000 car? Show that you’re so talented to turn a pos into something better?
I could be a little more enthusiastic if these were rare or desirable models, but base cars?
Yeah, those are basically parts cars, scrap the rest. If they have a solid frame or good interior, buy them, scrap the rest. Too much money required for a late model C3 resto.

Z
Old 10-21-2018, 09:20 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

I know a number of car builders who take in projects in far worse condition than this and turn out some incredible beauties. Coming from the bike world, we sink money into our scoots knowing damn well we won't get it back out, and every car guy knows that as well, or should. I didn't buy my GS worrying about resale value, I bought it to drive, and drive it I do.

I've noticed car guys in today's world, at least with corvettes, are in 2 completely separate camps. Those who customize their cars, and those that criticize those who do.

Is the car worth what the seller wants? That depends upon a buyer. Me, I'd pass.

Old 10-21-2018, 06:40 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

>>>In the past on here i have seen some say run from almost any project posted, then tell in a belitting way the guy who isnt bucks up enough to buy an up to par turn key and doesnt what one anyway he better buy turn key dont waste his money on some basketcase,

Flip the coin and i see some real basketcases restored stock or restomod into nice up to par cars, and the builders 100% of the time boast they dont care how upside down they are the fun was saving it, building it , driving it and i believe they feel that way.
And i saw where they were coming from but well thought out and written replies like yours have me now seeing a much bigger picture.

Not to **** on a persons enthusiasm but like you said it pouring 25k into some base model or late model which were pretty much all base models to have a car worth 10k or less doesnt appeal to the part of me that while i believe a person should spend or even waste money the way they please, bragging about wasting money and saying they dont care is just ridiculous to me, as my grandmother would have said "you dont look smart" and to me the loud bragging makes the person look like a different kind of elistist.

Do i think all basketcases like this need to go in a crusher, no, but some should and some are just parts cars,
Cars outside here in florida rust fast.

If i have 25k in something the only way i would feel good about it is if it is up to par with a 25k example, not in camp with 10k examples and no amount of chest thumping reasons and spewing how talanted i am would soothe that for less than half what i spent i could go buy what i have. <<<

Originally Posted by Zealot
Yeah, those are basically parts cars, scrap the rest. If they have a solid frame or good interior, buy them, scrap the rest. Too much money required for a late model C3 resto.

Z
>>>
But what about the guy who wants a project, wants to drop 25k in a car that will be worth 10k and doesnt want to buy turn key because he enjoys building what he wants ? <<<

Originally Posted by Mcrider
I know a number of car builders who take in projects in far worse condition than this and turn out some incredible beauties. Coming from the bike world, we sink money into our scoots knowing damn well we won't get it back out, and every car guy knows that as well, or should. I didn't buy my GS worrying about resale value, I bought it to drive, and drive it I do.

I've noticed car guys in today's world, at least with corvettes, are in 2 completely separate camps. Those who customize their cars, and those that criticize those who do.

Is the car worth what the seller wants? That depends upon a buyer. Me, I'd pass.
>>>No, the camps as you call them are not clear cut and are far more convoluted,
purists are not the only guys criticizing other peoples builds,
The stock guys take a lot of jabbing and its not fair, and im saying this as a die hard modder who has been critiqued a lot.
The biggest trend in c3 is restomod, better engines, suspensions, etc but for the most part from the outside looks stock, then guys like me, doing flares, hood scoops etc, then the bone stock numbers matching fans and at the bottom the guys doing radical stuff but even those purist guys will have rebels,
Perhaps they have a set of radial tires for driving and use the stock skinny bias plys for shows, and some of those radical bulders are the first to critique the next guys build.

I gauge my impression of a person not by what type corvette he likes but from how he comes off and how he treats me and others <<<

Last edited by The13Bats; 10-21-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:51 PM
Zealot
Drifting

>>>But what about the guy who wants a project, wants to drop 25k in a car that will be worth 10k and doesnt want to buy turn key because he enjoys building what he wants<<<
Those guys need to send me $25k. I'll buy them a 10k car and 10k worth of a hookers time and they will be much happier and still have a 10k car.

More seriously, I get doing that I'd it some kind of rare model or something, but C3s aren't rare in general. It's their money, but it's still a waste IMO.

Z
Old 10-21-2018, 07:12 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by Zealot
Those guys need to send me $25k. I'll buy them a 10k car and 10k worth of a hookers time and they will be much happier and still have a 10k car.

More seriously, I get doing that I'd it some kind of rare model or something, but C3s aren't rare in general. It's their money, but it's still a waste IMO.

Z
So where do i fit in, and no, i dont want the hooker,
At one point in my life within reason i could buy the stuff i wanted,
But my life and health changed,
I love to tinker on stuff mess with something daily, i am a car modder and because gm didnt for me make the perfect c3, some are close, i have to.
I owned corvettes etc all my life but this time wanted a 69 convertible,
I didnt have the entry price to buy a restored road race themed car, they are very expensive,
I didnt want to try to save that tall stack of toad pelts as lifes too short and my life doesnt run like that anyway,
So i buy a modded, no engine, 69 for 6k a pos basketcase to many, a Frankenstein,
It will be a fully rebuilt, all new or rebuilt parts, running driving, except for paint i will have about 13k in it at that point, a driver not show queen, but what i wanted.

13k in a car worth 6k ?

So where do i fit in?
Old 10-21-2018, 08:24 PM
dtamustang
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

i know its hard to believe but there are those rare people ( i am one ) that likes building a whole lot more than driving and setting in lawn chairs on cruise night. my 79 started out in the neighborhood ( condition wise ) of the cars in question maybe a little better , and i can tell you i have no where near 25k in it , less than 1/2 that amount by quite a bit. if you are the type of " enthusiast " that has a "paint guy" an "engine guy" an "alignment guy" a "steering box guy" a "trailing arm guy"and a guy to do everything but detail it from time to time you will no doubt be lucky to have a decent car for 25k. i have seen that add and if circumstances were different i would have already paid the guy a visit , not saying i would buy them but to me its not an outrageous deal and worth the time to get a good look at just how good or bad they really are.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:56 PM
Zealot
Drifting

So where do i fit in, and no, i dont want the hooker,
At one point in my life within reason i could buy the stuff i wanted,
But my life and health changed,
I love to tinker on stuff mess with something daily, i am a car modder and because gm didnt for me make the perfect c3, some are close, i have to.
I owned corvettes etc all my life but this time wanted a 69 convertible,
I didnt have the entry price to buy a restored road race themed car, they are very expensive,
I didnt want to try to save that tall stack of toad pelts as lifes too short and my life doesnt run like that anyway,
So i buy a modded, no engine, 69 for 6k a pos basketcase to many, a Frankenstein,
It will be a fully rebuilt, all new or rebuilt parts, running driving, except for paint i will have about 13k in it at that point, a driver not show queen, but what i wanted.

13k in a car worth 6k ?

So where do i fit in?
Well, I wasn't the guy dividing everybody into catagories, but you can jump in wherever you want. I would guess that 10k would buy a hooker worth more than though.

For myself, buy a '69 changes the math though. Chrome bumper cars are worth a heck of a lot more than later model C3s. They are rarer and much "worthier" to restore, at least to me. Given unlimited money I'd buy a basket case and make it a resto-mod. For the money I have though, it makes more sense to buy something driver-ish. Less work to get to the finished project.

Z

Get notified of new replies

To Craigslist jewel

Old 10-21-2018, 09:41 PM
maj75
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

“Life’s too short” is the reason I discourage newbs from buying a project like the one in the OP. Doing it yourself will take years and more money than you would admit here, never mind admit to your SO. I wouldn’t want to wait years with an open checkbook to enjoy the car. I like to tinker as much as the next guy, but there is no reason to start with a pile of crap. The prices on these late models are so low that there just isn’t any reason to start with a rusty non-runner.

Thats why there are all these rusty POS out there for sale. They were projects that could never be finished with the time and money available.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:34 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Zealot,
My point wasnt what a 10k hooker looks like my point was i find all hookers
Not my thing.

Originally Posted by dtamustang
i know its hard to believe but there are those rare people ( i am one ) that likes building a whole lot more than driving and setting in lawn chairs on cruise night. my 79 started out in the neighborhood ( condition wise ) of the cars in question maybe a little better , and i can tell you i have no where near 25k in it , less than 1/2 that amount by quite a bit. if you are the type of " enthusiast " that has a "paint guy" an "engine guy" an "alignment guy" a "steering box guy" a "trailing arm guy"and a guy to do everything but detail it from time to time you will no doubt be lucky to have a decent car for 25k. i have seen that add and if circumstances were different i would have already paid the guy a visit , not saying i would buy them but to me its not an outrageous deal and worth the time to get a good look at just how good or bad they really are.

I was waiting for this angle but didnt know it would be from you,
Hope you are doing great,

There is a smokey candy apple grey area that will always be missed by some, you get it, i get it...a few here get it.

I will have a running driving driver condition all rebuilt 69 bb convertible for about 13k , yes, purists will hate it, but i made what i wanted not what they want,
"If" what i have can be bought turn key for 13k or less lets see it.

PS, lawn chairs at a cruise
But i admit as mych as i like to tinket at this point in my life i would rather be driving.

Last edited by The13Bats; 10-22-2018 at 01:34 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:06 AM
Z06LMB
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by maj75
“Life’s too short” is the reason I discourage newbs from buying a project like the one in the OP. Doing it yourself will take years and more money than you would admit here, never mind admit to your SO. I wouldn’t want to wait years with an open checkbook to enjoy the car. I like to tinker as much as the next guy, but there is no reason to start with a pile of crap. The prices on these late models are so low that there just isn’t any reason to start with a rusty non-runner.

Thats why there are all these rusty POS out there for sale. They were projects that could never be finished with the time and money available.
Good answer - logical.

You can have all the talent in the world to repair and finally do the bodywork and spray, but parts cost money, sandpaper costs money and is restoring a base car from the poorest condition worth all the time it takes you to complete a project of pride?

About 10 years ago I took on restoring a ‘78 Pace car. The condition was on par with the subject cars discovered by the OP.
I had many parts already, shopped all the typical venues like eBay and CL, swap meets and salvage yards. Asked for the best discounts, clearance and scratch and dent prices anybody could muster from vendors and on occasion managed to find someone willing to sell parts off their unfinishable project.
I can take the time to list all my expenses, but I’m hoping you’ll take my word for this, After being the cheapest miser you can imagine it still cost me nearly $20,000 to complete. Over 900 hours of my time disassembling the carcass of the car, repairing and reconditioning many parts, traveling looking for parts and finally the reassembly.
Yes, I bragged about my accomplishment, made sure everybody looked close and appreciated my “labor of love,” but it didn’t take long to realize the true cost of the entire project. The funny part, a month after I finished I bought the same car in impeccable condition (a survivor) for $20,750 including buyers premium at Mecum Auction in KC.
I sold the Mecum car 3 years ago for $36,000 (it came with lots of documentation) and my car sold last year to a collector in GA for $18,900.

Last edited by Z06LMB; 10-22-2018 at 05:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Craigslist jewel