C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Fan shroud

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 04:16 PM
tonymcilroy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fan shroud

I have an electric fan with no shroud. I am considering putting the shroud back on at least the top and sides. Other than I think it looks better will it help cooling or hurt it?
Old 10-21-2018, 04:41 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by tonymcilroy
I have an electric fan with no shroud. I am considering putting the shroud back on at least the top and sides. Other than I think it looks better will it help cooling or hurt it?
Yes, a shroud is very important but doing just the top and sides will be of little to no benefit. The shroud works by sealing the air path from behind the radiator so that ALL the air in front of the radiator passes through it. You also need to seal the shroud to the radiator.

I run both the factory engine driven fan AND an electric puller fan behind my rad. in my 1957 with 383 stroker engine. The electric fan aids in cooling when stopped or low speed driving. If you run an engine driven fan with shroud the correct placement is with the fan blades 1/2 in and 1/2 out of the rear edge of the shroud when view from the side of the car.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:00 PM
tonymcilroy
Instructor

Default Thanks

I'll get the parts on order.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:08 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

I'll get the parts on order.
my .02... the shroud will not help with only an electric fan as the only air that the fan will pull through the radiator will be that section directly in front of the fan. if you have an electric fan with a shroud made specifically for that fan, then a specific shroud will help, not a factory shroud; look at the fan that Dewitt sells and you will see what I mean.

check this link for an example of how to install an electric fan only: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ud-set-up.html

Bill

Old 10-22-2018, 12:51 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Originally Posted by wmf62
my .02... the shroud will not help with only an electric fan as the only air that the fan will pull through the radiator will be that section directly in front of the fan. if you have an electric fan with a shroud made specifically for that fan, then a specific shroud will help, not a factory shroud; look at the fan that Dewitt sells and you will see what I mean.

check this link for an example of how to install an electric fan only: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ud-set-up.html

Bill
Yes but if you are trying to cool the car with electric only you will need two fans unless you don't drive the car in the summer. If you are going to run two fans my preference would be the set up I have with a factory shroud, factory fan and a puller electric fan.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:15 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

When you are not moving, the fan has to "suck" air through the radiator in order to help.
Air takes the path of least resistance.
So if the fan can't create a low pressure area (slight vacuum), it's not going to help much.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:17 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 68hemi
Yes but if you are trying to cool the car with electric only you will need two fans unless you don't drive the car in the summer. If you are going to run two fans my preference would be the set up I have with a factory shroud, factory fan and a puller electric fan.
you don't need 2 fans, just the proper shroud as in the link I posted above.

if you have the factory engine driven fan and the factory shroud, then the addition of an electric fan will help suck additional air at low speeds but will be of little to no use on the highway

I use a pusher fan in front of my a/c condenser to provide additional airflow at low speeds and to help overcome the air flow blockage from being in front of the radiator; again, at highway speed, fans are of little use.

Bill
Old 10-23-2018, 02:27 PM
tonymcilroy
Instructor

Default A lot to consider

Well you have all given me much to think about . I'll add a few things. Engine is a zz4 350 the current 16" fan seems to work well even with the stk generator and radiator. Runs at or near 180 even on 90 deg days usually but I have seen it up to 210 which is one reason why I wanted to install the shroud. I have the fan on a thermo switch and it has not yet blown a fuse. I think I will go ahead and get the missing parts for the shroud rubber seal it for a tighter fit and see what happens next summer. Thanks for all your help.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:34 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Originally Posted by wmf62
you don't need 2 fans, just the proper shroud as in the link I posted above.

if you have the factory engine driven fan and the factory shroud, then the addition of an electric fan will help suck additional air at low speeds but will be of little to no use on the highway

I use a pusher fan in front of my a/c condenser to provide additional airflow at low speeds and to help overcome the air flow blockage from being in front of the radiator; again, at highway speed, fans are of little use.

Bill
You could not cool one in AZ. where I live with only one electric fan shroud or no shroud with it.

My 57 ran perfectly cool with the original rad. engine driven fan and shroud until I upgrades the engine to a 383 with 11 to 1 aluminum heads. Then I added the electric fan and still had cooling problems. I upgraded to a Dewitt rad. and since I already had the electric puller fan I used it but don't really know if it was necessary. I am not a "fan" (no pun intended) of pusher fans as by their nature block air flow over the surface of the area they are mounted to. A puller fan would suck air through the A/C condenser as well. The problem with A/C cars is that the hot air from the condenser is being sucked directly on to the rad that is trying to get rid of it's own heat.

Last edited by 68hemi; 10-23-2018 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:55 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 68hemi
You could not cool one in AZ. where I live with only one electric fan shroud or no shroud with it.
except I think the Mark VII Lincoln fan and shroud MIGHT do it...
Bill
Old 10-23-2018, 04:59 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Well you have all given me much to think about . I'll add a few things. Engine is a zz4 350 the current 16" fan seems to work well even with the stk generator and radiator. Runs at or near 180 even on 90 deg days usually but I have seen it up to 210 which is one reason why I wanted to install the shroud. I have the fan on a thermo switch and it has not yet blown a fuse. I think I will go ahead and get the missing parts for the shroud rubber seal it for a tighter fit and see what happens next summer. Thanks for all your help.
if you put the full shroud back on, then "I" would put the engine driven back on too
Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Fan shroud

Quick Reply: [C1] Fan shroud