Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Heating and A/C System question (electronic)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 07:02 PM
Smokeysvette
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Heating and A/C System question (electronic)

This is on a '92 convertible car w/44K on the clock.
I was letting the car run for about a half hour in my shop and noticed a strange thing when I went to get in and go for a drive. I hadn't driven the car in awhile so I was just letting things just getting good and warmed up.
I had the A/C system on "off" (electronic A/C system) and I noticed as looked down the green light above the button was blinking. Well I went through all the modes and everything was working correctly but, when I pushed each button the green light kept blinking which ever mode I used.
Anyhow I started my drive and as soon as I took off driving the blinking completely stopped and then it went back acting completely normal with the light on steady. Again no blinking on the green light, just went back to being normal again through every mode with the light on steady.
Anyone know what caused the blinking light and what it might have tried to tell me. I've tried to duplicate the problem but can't and has never done this before in the years I have owned it. I have another '92 (coupe) that I have owned for about eight years and have never seen this before.
Was it a code of some kind? If so did it store it and how would I pull the stored code?
Thanks in advance
Old 10-22-2018, 04:14 AM
MaineJim
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A blinking light is saying theres a problem in the system,on my '92 it was low on refrigerant.
I'm sorry i can't be of much help,i don't have my FSM handy to tell you how to retrieve the codes.
It's been a while since i did a full scan on mine and can't remember how but you can get the codes on your speedo display.
Hopefully someone will give you the the how to,if not i'll have to did my manual out.
Good luck.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:26 PM
Smokeysvette
Pro

Thanks Jim for the reply and trying to help. Yes, my A/C and heat are working correctly so that's why I can't figure out why it did that and it stopped as soon as i pulled it out of the shop. Maybe other's will chime in and let me know where to start looking. I've tried to duplicate the problem again today and all's working as it supposed to. A/C is cold and the heater blows hot and the system switches modes like it supposed to. So I'm at a loss on this one........
Old 10-22-2018, 04:07 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

The fault codes on a C68 are retrieved through the HVAC Panel not the speedo.
My 92 was a little low on refrigerant. I would get the blinking light for a little while till the compressor managed to raise pressure enough to clear it. I serviced the A/C and the Blinking light and 09 code has not returned all summer.

Last edited by belairbrian; 10-22-2018 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:54 AM
Smokeysvette
Pro

Thanks belairbrian for the help, I tried again to duplicate the problem today and it would not do it with any blinking light again what so ever. BTW The A/C is blowing super cold. (the A/C system Freon and associated parts had been changed out to the later style 134A years ago). But I'll put my gauges on it today also and check that. But if it C68 (electronic HVAC) did have a code, how do you pull them? I know how to pull the emissions codes with an ALDL jumper but that still doesn't help me pull the C68 codes. How did you get this 09 code?
Again as always, thanks in advance for the help.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:02 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

Here's a video that explains it pretty well
The following users liked this post:
Smokeysvette (10-23-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 12:38 PM
Smokeysvette
Pro

Thanks belairbrian!
As soon as I get home I'll pull the code and see what it tells me. I'll get back to you and let you know what it was. Who knows it might have been a soft code and cleared itself as I drove it today before leaving the house going through several key cycles and still with no problems or blinking light. This car gets seldom driven which who knows could have caused a glitch as we all know sometime these kind of cars do. Again thanks for the very helpful info.
Old 10-24-2018, 02:56 PM
Smokeysvette
Pro

Got out today and pulled the codes and it came up "00" which tells means no codes. The A/C was fully charged so I think it must of seen something and the problem resolved itself right away or it could have been a glitch. I did like the other stuff that you can monitor too! Thanks again for the You-Tube and your help. I'll continue to keep a eye on it as time goes by. Thanks again for the the help you provided.

Get notified of new replies

To Heating and A/C System question (electronic)

Quick Reply: Heating and A/C System question (electronic)