Sponsored by:

Damage to electrical system - need advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 09:42 PM
RichardC77
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Damage to electrical system - need advice

It's a long story, but the situation is that a battery was connected wrong when the person put it into my 77 vette. They then turned the key to start it but no lights lit up. After they told me this, the battery was connected correctly but when the key was turned no lights lit and the starter did not turn over. Looks like the electric system might have gotten fried. What would be the most likely things I should check to see if they needed to be replaced? Thanks....
Old 10-21-2018, 10:08 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Fusible links at the starter. They usually go to protect the rest of the car. From your description, that's where I'd start.
The following users liked this post:
RichardC77 (10-21-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 12:11 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Fusible links 'look' like a section of standard wiring with non-flammable terminators at each end. The insulation will not burn or catch on fire; but the wire inside will fry/melt and break circuit connection. If one or more of these are bad, they need to be replaced with REAL fusible links....not just standard wiring. They are located there FOR GOOD REASON. You will also find some located on or around the horn relay. You can detect failed fusible links by bending them in the middle. If they are flexible like normal wiring, they are likely OK. If they offer very little resistance OR excessive resistance or feel 'crunchy', they are TOAST inside and need to be replaced.

The fusible links are installed in GM cars for the exact circumstance that occurred with your car: electrical errors (owner or mechanic) or failed electrical components which create a dead-short for the wiring.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 10-22-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:17 PM
Tiger Joe
Drifting

Received 517 Likes on 343 Posts

x3 start with fusible link.

I hate to admit it, but I too was foolish enough to hook my battery up wrong in my 68 the first time. everything went dead. fortunately for me, i saw the smoke from the fusible link and it was easy fix.

Get notified of new replies

To Damage to electrical system - need advice

Quick Reply: Damage to electrical system - need advice