Sponsored by:

Any input

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 09:58 AM
TheFig
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any input

So, I’m about to sit down with Dan Akerson.

For serious GM individuals, I’m a Chevy guy myself, have owned a Malibu; Cruze, a c5 Z, currently an 81 c3 and a 16’ Silverado. I have plenty of questions for the guy.

But what can anyone here think of asking him if they were afforded the opportunity to chat with him? FYI, he is in constant contact with Mary Barry.

I need solid input and questions, if you all can so kindly oblige.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:18 PM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

Would like to hear his thoughts on the future of transportation. Electric seems like a given. But will surface transportation still be the primary medium? Will it be air? or? Where does he see the industry headed over the next 20 years?

I have a feeling that he's more into "management" though, more interested in efficiencies and the "process" within the industry. But I could be wrong.

Last edited by Tonio; 10-22-2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:33 PM
TheFig
Cruising

Yeah, electric is pretty much around the corner. GM just spent 11.5 bil on a automation startup company.

But he’s loaded with other info. That’s what I’m leaning towards here.

What would you guys want to see in the future. Tomorrow’s vehicles. What do we see now that can be improved? So on and so forth.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:56 PM
slapjack9
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Does he know, or think, if they'll ever produce the Avalanche again??
Old 10-22-2018, 04:09 PM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by TheFig
Yeah, electric is pretty much around the corner. GM just spent 11.5 bil on a automation startup company.

But he’s loaded with other info. That’s what I’m leaning towards here.

What would you guys want to see in the future. Tomorrow’s vehicles. What do we see now that can be improved? So on and so forth.
I want to see vehicles that no longer rely on potholed filled asphalt roadways. Here in NYS, the "roads" have devolved into yellow striped goat paths. It's no longer enjoyable to drive unless you are behind the wheel of a 3-ton behemoth. So yeah, sign me up for a Back to the Future Delorean that flies!
Old 10-22-2018, 04:18 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

First off, electric cars are going NOWHERE, no matter what, UNTILLLLLLL we triple our NUCLEAR generating capacity.....THEN there is the ??? of recycling the old batteries, and collisions, think the bats in cphones are a hazard?? try a car wreck with a LION battery......

and dont' even bother with wind and solar they going nowhere too, and of course since hillairy sold ~25% of our uranium to Russia (as if they can't find any in all of Asia??) what we going to fuel the nukey plants with??
AND I suspect the Rockefeller family and the Pew family will have something to say about electric cars too....This nation needs to totally STOP exporting ANY of our fuel resources, period, no matter WHO/WHAT, unless it's to fuel our .mil......

Old 10-22-2018, 08:45 PM
peyc2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

See if can explain what the hell GM was thinking when they built the Chevy Citiation I would love to hear what was going through someone's mind that was there, what a disaster

Last edited by peyc2; 10-22-2018 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:21 PM
radiotexas
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Might ask him if he knows where all those build docs disappeared to, and where the dupe copies are. Sure would help make life easier for a lot of owners.
Theadore
Old 10-22-2018, 09:55 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Ask him if Gm is ever going to return to being a "car company" run by "car people" instead of accountants.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:40 PM
TheFig
Cruising

Default Keep it coming

I appreciate the good, honest feedback. The useless crap is unecessary, good for humor, but useless in this context of needing quanatative feedback.

Mr. Akerson is the ex CEO of GM. Mary Barra is the current CEO. Mr. Akerson brought GM out of the slump they were in, and yes it was a deep hole of ****. So many things were wrong when he took over years ago. He mentioned how his Cadi broke down in some random place on a drive one day, and the local GM dealership didn’t want to take his vehicle in for a trade, since he had purchased it in Atlanta. This was right before he became their CEO.

Simple things like that at the consumer level mean more than the average bear expects. This man is a straight shooter, and he started to turn the company around as best as he could, and did. Just look up the numbers.

Not everything can obviously get fixed. There were a lot of bad apples that he had to let go, A LOT. For good reason and also to further expand GM’s future. People can’t be closed minded and expect to always be the best. You have to try new things and be the first at jumping onto new projects. Yes, the start/stop function has its pro’s and con’s, the Chevy Volt cost too damn much to produce, the corvette almost lost its budget. But things shifted, innovations, new ideas helped keep moving the company forward. Don’t let some sleazy salesman, or a few bad experiences dictate what you want. If you don’t like GM then move on, if you do and have solid input I want to hear it.

Autonomous vehicle’s are coming, GM has partnered with Honda and Cruise. Just wait and see where that may lead. There’s more of a greener vision for GM. So many changes are coming.

I will mention to him as much as I can from what you all have provided thus far. In the mean time keep the suggestions and questions rolling.

Thanks!

Last edited by TheFig; 10-22-2018 at 10:42 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:28 AM
RMVette
Race Director

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by peyc2
See if can explain what the hell GM was thinking when they built the Chevy Citiation I would love to hear what was going through someone's mind that was there, what a disaster
My dad bought one back in the early '80's. What a POS.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:52 AM
peyc2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I owned a 1980 X-11 of all things. At 36000 miles, the head gasket blew, and it destroyed the engine (wife driving, didn't pay attention to idiot light)
Chevy refused to honor warrantee as it was over by 300 miles, and it was driven 30 miles after it lost all coolant.

It cost me $2000 in 1983 dollars to replace the heads and block, and never ran right. Plus, everything else was falling off, or broken,
Window regulators, wiper motor, A/C ,etc
Old 10-23-2018, 10:58 AM
peyc2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

BTW,

That was my last new GM product from 1980, until 2017.
I switched to Ford, having an Explorer, an Expedition, and then an Excursion.
Then I went to BMW, having a 328i, a 528 and a string of X5's from 2003, 2006, 2009, and 2013.

Then to a Jeep Grand Cherokee, and in 2017, finally a Chevy Tahoe. They lost me for 37 years!
Other than a 1985 Corvette I bought in 2011, and a 1971 I bought in 2016, I swore off (at) GM
Old 10-23-2018, 11:14 AM
Bergerboy
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 132 Posts

Folks - Take a breath!
Dan Ackerson was only running GM for a total of 4 years - and that was the only 4 years he was with GM.
He was brought in as part of the post-bankruptcy to represent the U.S. Treasury Department since the government then owned over 60% of the company as part of the "bail-out".
So, in essence, he WAS the main Accountant/Bean Counter.

Doubt seriously he would have knowledge or input on the plans to "bring back the Avalanche" or "what were they thinking when the introduced the Citation?".

BTW - his signature is adorning my cube wall on my 30 year service award! (and that was from 2012)
Old 10-24-2018, 11:34 AM
TheFig
Cruising

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by Bergerboy
Folks - Take a breath!
Dan Ackerson was only running GM for a total of 4 years - and that was the only 4 years he was with GM.
He was brought in as part of the post-bankruptcy to represent the U.S. Treasury Department since the government then owned over 60% of the company as part of the "bail-out".
So, in essence, he WAS the main Accountant/Bean Counter.

Doubt seriously he would have knowledge or input on the plans to "bring back the Avalanche" or "what were they thinking when the introduced the Citation?".

BTW - his signature is adorning my cube wall on my 30 year service award! (and that was from 2012)
Now this is more like it. Thank you kindly
Old 10-24-2018, 12:21 PM
ezobens
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvette
First off, electric cars are going NOWHERE, no matter what, UNTILLLLLLL we triple our NUCLEAR generating capacity.....THEN there is the ??? of recycling the old batteries, and collisions, think the bats in cphones are a hazard?? try a car wreck with a LION battery......

and dont' even bother with wind and solar they going nowhere too, and of course since hillairy sold ~25% of our uranium to Russia (as if they can't find any in all of Asia??) what we going to fuel the nukey plants with??
AND I suspect the Rockefeller family and the Pew family will have something to say about electric cars too....This nation needs to totally STOP exporting ANY of our fuel resources, period, no matter WHO/WHAT, unless it's to fuel our .mil......
Nuclear? Are you serious?
You worry about LION battery disposal yet want to triple nuclear power plants?
LION disposal is a cake walk compared to disposal of all those spent fuel rods from nuclear facilities. No thank you!
Nuclear power plants are dead- Too expensive and too risky. Wind and solar will still be in abundant supply long after we've killed off our species due to nuclear "accidents" and global warming.
Just sayin'
Old 10-24-2018, 12:35 PM
peyc2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

boy, and I was worried I was off topic
Old 10-24-2018, 06:53 PM
Syl1953
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 182 Likes on 124 Posts

Ask him if he is still pleased that he supported Hillary instead of Trump, ( first Democratic candidate he ever voted for) now that the economy is doing so well. Interested to hear his answer. Mark
Old 10-26-2018, 09:14 AM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,308 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

When will GM proproperly train their mechanics/technicians to be efficient at repairing their vehicles?
And when will GM improve their customer service training?

Get notified of new replies

To Any input

Quick Reply: Any input