C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happened my Blue Widebody C6

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 08:14 AM
QuickSilverC6
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default What happened my Blue Widebody C6

Everyone has been asking me about the Widebody C6 Corvette lately wondering why I haven’t posted about it. Well the sad news is during the morning of High Tide down in Galveston, TX on Labor Day weekend, it was also raining several days and it rained another 11” in 3 Hours. I was asleep and woke up at 8:30am and found the car flooded. It was too late. The Widebody C6 was in parking lot and could not drain fast enough. The water came up just at center caps of wheels and unfortunately this is enough for Insurance to make the car a total loss. They took care of the claim and allowed me to buy the car back. Luckily the engine was never started and no water got in engine and transmission. The car did dry out and everything works. But at that point had to move on. I was able to get most the parts and modifications and start building a new Vette. We have past 3 weeks been building it. We got a 2013 GrandSport with much lower miles and overall so much nicer car to build from. Stay tuned!

Worst feeling ever to see something you worked so hard to build and it’s gone in an instant.

The comeback from the dead! Well I quickly started searching for a replacement C6 and found a clean non-modified 2013 C6 Grand sport in Chicago that was only driven in the summers. I called my buddy Brandon and asked him to fly with me to check it out. It was everything expected and we drove it back to Houston, TX. The past 3 weekends we dismantled the other vette, and started process of building. Huge thanks to Brandon and Mateo who did this build with me. They got it done and with attention to detail. Next week I’m ready to drop in the LSX 440 we have been working on! We swapped the Coil overs, body kit, wheels/tires, and put in all the LED every other miscellaneous items including new sound system and some fresh tint. Also huge thanks to Don with SS Vettes for walking us though any questions we had about the body kit.

Here is the new Extreme C6 Widebody!

Last edited by QuickSilverC6; 10-23-2018 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:23 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

YIKES! Sorry to hear, but WOW on the replacement! Like it even better.....
Old 10-23-2018, 09:09 AM
R_W
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Horrible that you had to suffer such a loss.
Next time, give one of us a call up here in DFW; drive it up here and we'll store your car for you!

The alternative would be to follow in this heros footsteps: https://jalopnik.com/quick-thinking-...-x5-1798527553
Old 10-23-2018, 01:28 PM
QuickSilverC6
Instructor

When I woke up at 8:30am the car was already flooded. I had no idea the parking lot at the resort I was staying at was going to flood in the parking lot.

it was a horrible experience to see it flooded when waking up. Although I didn’t go into panic mode, I knew I was insured.

I do have to admit, it was much easier building the car the second time around. Now I get to enjoy a much nice car being a 2013 and Grandsport with so few miles. Everything it tighter and cleaner. One thing I love about this 2013 over the 2010. The top dosen’t squeak and creak in this one. The 2010 I had about 81,000 miles and made so much noise.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:39 PM
stingray71
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 138 Posts

Those of us who never drive our cars in the rain have been saying this for a long time. Rain CAN damage a C6.

Sorry for your loss, but the new car looks great too!
Old 10-23-2018, 11:48 PM
c6 monkey
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

How much did you pay the insurance company to get the car back? Sorry that happened by the way!
Old 10-24-2018, 12:00 AM
QuickSilverC6
Instructor

The buy back amount was based on a 32 percentage of the cash value they determined my car Vette was worth after all the upgrades.

For me i had to buy back to get all the parts off.

Now im considering parting out or selling the car as an entire car.

Last edited by QuickSilverC6; 10-24-2018 at 01:10 AM.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:42 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

The new GS looks great. Best of luck with it.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:08 AM
c6 monkey
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by QuickSilverC6
The buy back amount was based on a 32 percentage of the cash value they determined my car Vette was worth after all the upgrades.

For me i had to buy back to get all the parts off.

Now im considering parting out or selling the car as an entire car.
Thanks for answering that, I always wondered. It seemed high at first but i guess its fair. I cant imagine having to start all over again. Second time around will be better for sure. Have fun.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:59 PM
EviLS7
Pro

Received 97 Likes on 87 Posts

Those orange wheels sure do pop with the black. Do you like those morimoto taillights and are they the dark smoke ones? If so do you possibly have any pics with them off and not lit up? Trying to see if I wanna pull the trigger on them, but want to see what they look like without the lights on and also are they brighter than stock?
Old 10-24-2018, 03:11 PM
QuickSilverC6
Instructor

Yeah I like the tails. Everyone around me are either stock or eagle eyes tails, so I like being a little different till everyone gets them. Here is a photo.

oh and I used Lamin-x charcoal color and cut out center cut outs to cover the red reflector.

As as far as brightness difference you will have to ask a mustang owner. They are always seeing the tail lights.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:15 PM
EviLS7
Pro

Received 97 Likes on 87 Posts

Yeah I like the tails. Everyone around me are either stock or eagle eyes tails, so I like being a little different till everyone gets them. Here is a photo.

oh and I used Lamin-x charcoal color and cut out center cut outs to cover the red reflector.

As as far as brightness difference you will have to ask a mustang owner. They are always seeing the tail lights.
I see they make them in three variations, just cant seem to find anyone who has the dark smoke ones. They do look good, but my car is all blacked out.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:19 PM
mellojoe
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 51 Posts

Its tough to see mother nature claim a car like that. Sorry to hear about the troubles.

But the replacement looks like its going to be even better. I love, love, love my LeMans blue, but the black with those wheels is amazing. She's a real beauty. Looks like a lot of fun.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:34 PM
Bowtie Jim
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

, so I like being a little different
You don't say.
I would have never guessed with those orange wheels.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:34 PM
QuickSilverC6
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bowtie Jim
You don't say.
I would have never guessed with those orange wheels.
ha. Well the previous car was themed with Astros colors. I haven’t decided on new wheel colors yet. But these pop for now. So we will stick with this for a bit.

maybe copper?
Old 10-24-2018, 11:38 PM
Bowtie Jim
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

ha. Well the previous car was themed with Astros colors. I haven’t decided on new wheel colors yet. But these pop for now. So we will stick with this for a bit.

maybe copper?
copper and chrome
Old 10-25-2018, 11:56 AM
Orion2011
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 126 Posts

Wait? Didn't you say everything worked after it dried out? Why not just get a salvage title and pocket the settlement?

Get notified of new replies

To What happened my Blue Widebody C6

Old 10-25-2018, 07:06 PM
Iceman40
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What rear spoiler is that?
Old 10-26-2018, 03:26 PM
QuickSilverC6
Instructor

Originally Posted by Iceman40
What rear spoiler is that?
It is called the Raven - I ordered it from Don at SS-Vette
Old 10-26-2018, 04:19 PM
QuickSilverC6
Instructor

Originally Posted by Orion2011
Wait? Didn't you say everything worked after it dried out? Why not just get a salvage title and pocket the settlement?
Great question. Yes we never started the car in the flooded water and it only got to about the center caps of wheels as you can see in pics. We disconnected the battery and pushed it to higher ground out of the parking lot and towed it to my place. We got it all dried out and yes now it starts and runs fine. Checked all fluids and no water got in oil of engine or transmission. So that was great.

The money from insurance I could have kept and moved along but I still wanted a Widebody corvette and I already had an engine being built for it so I would have been stuck with that as well. So I moved all the modification parts over to the 2013 Grand Sport I bought.

I do have the 2010 C6 base model put back together with most stock parts and will be posting it for sale shortly. It is a bummer to sell it because it does have a really nice Built T56 Magnum Transmission with Stage 2 Monster Clutch and the LS3 is already cammed and makes 453 RWHP.

I will post that up later. Oh, and I do have the Stock Dry Sump engine to sell out of the 2013 Grand Sport as well.

Quick Reply: What happened my Blue Widebody C6