Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

First Post. Need advice buying C6 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 09:47 PM
Jay Huh
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default First Post. Need advice buying C6 Z06

Hello all. Thank you in advance. It’s been my dream to own a Z06 since I was a kid and my business is doing well enough to be able to purchase one. I’m looking for a C6 Z06, I’ve been in love with those cars since they’ve been out and wanted a Z06 ever since Need for Speed III came out way back in the day.

There are 2 I’m looking at. I don’t think book value applies to corvettes bc they’re all priced way over, but I am looking to get one for fair market value. I’ve heard about lifter problems but don’t know too much on the common problems to look for.

https://www.4042motors.com/635_V2017...E-Z06-for-sale

This one is a used car dealer, says they had the local dealer install a new crate motor. Price is better than most other Z06’s I’ve seen listed but it’s still been on the market for over a year. Any red flags?

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/d...728900391.html

i really like the look of this one. Wondering if there are any red flags on this one, I think it’s priced a bit high. He’s had it for a yr and a half. Asked about maintenance records and only have oil change receipts from when he owned it. He said he let the oil indicator expire one time before changing it. How much would you say this is actually worth? Don’t want to low ball the guy.

Thanks
Old 10-23-2018, 09:59 PM
Stavesacre21
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 107 Posts

I'll be the first one to throw out the "have the heads been fixed" that you'll hear dozens of times. While it's not an absolute must and much of the hype has been overblown, the LS7 has been known to drop valves due to valve guides being well out of spec. The only real fix is to have the heads replaced or reworked.

First one seems reasonable for an 09. Sucker for the spyder rims but not a bad deal. How many miles on the new motor? Possibly a dropped valve?

I'd wait to see what the 2nd one offers FIRST to see if his head is in the clouds or if he's being realistic.

Welcome to the club, and enjoy digging in and getting your hands dirty!
Old 10-23-2018, 10:12 PM
Jay Huh
Cruising

Originally Posted by Stavesacre21
I'll be the first one to throw out the "have the heads been fixed" that you'll hear dozens of times. While it's not an absolute must and much of the hype has been overblown, the LS7 has been known to drop valves due to valve guides being well out of spec. The only real fix is to have the heads replaced or reworked.

First one seems reasonable for an 09. Sucker for the spyder rims but not a bad deal. How many miles on the new motor? Possibly a dropped valve?

I'd wait to see what the 2nd one offers FIRST to see if his head is in the clouds or if he's being realistic.

Welcome to the club, and enjoy digging in and getting your hands dirty!
From what I can gather, the new engine has less than a thousand miles. The engine was replaced when the dealer had it so they must’ve bought it at an auction and didn’t know the engine was bad. I’m very curious if the crate motor came with new heads. Thank you for your reply
Old 10-23-2018, 10:29 PM
Stavesacre21
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Huh
I’m very curious if the crate motor came with new heads. Thank you for your reply
Sadly, I've heard sources that all heads are affected...still. Even newer ones. Just a GM issue. I still wouldn't trust any for a $17K gamble.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:49 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Heads need to be addressed on both either way. Out of those two, the 09 is a better deal, but both seem like they are modified. The catch can on the top one is a give away.

Plenty of cars out there, it is a buyers market for sure. Keep looking and find one your comfortable with.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:52 PM
jonnyc
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

i would say the first one is the better deal.hard to beat having a new motor with 3 year warranty. with the warranty you wouldn't have to worry about fixing the heads for a few years. price seems right to me considering it's an 09 with new engine and from a dealer.

second one might be a little high but cash talks and most people start high on craigslist. the color is rare so you are paying extra for that. and even though mods don't add much if any to resale,those mods he's done aren't cheap and they are nice. if you plan to do any of those to another car than this one would be a good choice.

if i could get the second one for 27k-27.5k and everything checks out ok with it, i would get that one
Old 10-23-2018, 11:08 PM
mkitt27
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

Look about halfway down this post - a guy is selling a one owner, heads fixed Z with 57kmiles for $29.9K
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-mile-z06.html
Old 10-23-2018, 11:29 PM
Jay Huh
Cruising

Originally Posted by mkitt27
Look about halfway down this post - a guy is selling a one owner, heads fixed Z with 57kmiles for $29.9K
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-mile-z06.html
yep I saw that earlier. Wish he was in NC

Get notified of new replies

To First Post. Need advice buying C6 Z06

Quick Reply: First Post. Need advice buying C6 Z06