C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 trans tunnel muffler??

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 11:22 AM
C6_Crackerman
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C6 trans tunnel muffler??

alright guys, long story short my x-pipe was stolen off my car! 😡😡 obx refuses to help me out or sell me a new one so now I'm going to expierement.

I was was wondering if anybody has seen, heard of or EVEN TRIED to put a muffler in the trans tunnel before the axle, and have a turnout dump to the side... if that makes sense? I'm looking at a 3" kooks r300-10 race muffler, single inlet and single outlet. It's a nice small muffler and straight through so shouldn't be to restrictive. Any thoughts or ideas on running this setup? I saw somebody previously post and do this with dual borla mufflers and he said trans and diff temps have never been a problem. (Plus I'll have it dump to the side away from the diff and trans)

Little info on the car. It's just a simple 2006 c6 ls2 base model. It has a fast 102 intake manifold, lingenfelter cai, obx 1 7/8's long tube headers and a lingenfelter 180 she thermostat. Car is still untuned because midpipe was stolen before my tune.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:16 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by C6_Crackerman
alright guys, long story short my x-pipe was stolen off my car! 😡😡 obx refuses to help me out or sell me a new one so now I'm going to expierement.

I was was wondering if anybody has seen, heard of or EVEN TRIED to put a muffler in the trans tunnel before the axle, and have a turnout dump to the side... if that makes sense? I'm looking at a 3" kooks r300-10 race muffler, single inlet and single outlet. It's a nice small muffler and straight through so shouldn't be to restrictive. Any thoughts or ideas on running this setup? I saw somebody previously post and do this with dual borla mufflers and he said trans and diff temps have never been a problem. (Plus I'll have it dump to the side away from the diff and trans)

Little info on the car. It's just a simple 2006 c6 ls2 base model. It has a fast 102 intake manifold, lingenfelter cai, obx 1 7/8's long tube headers and a lingenfelter 180 she thermostat. Car is still untuned because midpipe was stolen before my tune.
Sorry, but it won't work. Have you seen just how little room there is in the tunnel with the tunnel plate removed?

Old 10-25-2018, 01:30 PM
C6_Crackerman
Advanced

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
Sorry, but it won't work. Have you seen just how little room there is in the tunnel with the tunnel plate removed?

i saw saw that this guy had done it
[img]webkit-fake-url://8384f8f5-6fe6-458f-baa3-45d6a12951fb/imagepng[/img]

And the muffler I got is even smaller. If there's room for x-pipes to fit there then I don't see why a small race muffler wouldn't fit right?
Old 10-25-2018, 01:32 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

i saw saw that this guy had done it
[img]webkit-fake-url://8384f8f5-6fe6-458f-baa3-45d6a12951fb/imagepng

And the muffler I got is even smaller. If there's room for x-pipes to fit there then I don't see why a small race muffler wouldn't fit right?
The only thing that's gonna fit in the tunnel plate is the torque tube, that's it.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:38 PM
C6_Crackerman
Advanced

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
The only thing that's gonna fit in the tunnel plate is the torque tube, that's it.
correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there the torque tube, then the tunnel plate and then another small section where the exhaust usually runs? I mean I want to put the muffler right where the factory h-pipe would go.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:40 PM
theandrewo
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

How on earth did someone steal the x-pipe from your car? I'd love to hear that story.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:46 PM
C6_Crackerman
Advanced

Originally Posted by theandrewo
How on earth did someone steal the x-pipe from your car? I'd love to hear that story.

i installed it, drove it once around the block, brought it home to tighten the bolts again and then parked it in my driveway for about 4 days. After 4 days I started it and pulled it forward into my garage and it seemed louder and the car was shaking a little more. So I crawed under there and looked and the whole thing was missing. O2 sensors and everything. But I saw AND put my hands on the x-pipe and then parked it there and when I came back, whose thing was missing. Whoever stole it obviously must have needed t more the me 😒
Old 10-25-2018, 04:11 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there the torque tube, then the tunnel plate and then another small section where the exhaust usually runs? I mean I want to put the muffler right where the factory h-pipe would go.
From the top it's torque tube, then tunnel plate, then exhaust pipes, then the ground.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:24 PM
C6_Crackerman
Advanced

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
From the top it's torque tube, then tunnel plate, then exhaust pipes, then the ground.
ok so the way I worded that wasn't the best. I guess my real question is, instead of running a midpipe and axle backs, could I do a y-pipe off of the headers and put a muffler in the place of the x-pipe and then just dump it out the side before the axle?
Old 10-30-2018, 08:43 AM
jeremysz
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had this exhaust system on my car when I bought it and the muffler is in the tunnel area so it is possible.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:03 PM
veneno
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

just have it come out of the the fenders, lol
Old 11-05-2018, 06:23 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

I wouldn't choke up my car with going to a Y pipe configuration. Borla, Bassani, and maybe even Dynomax can make dual inlet/outlet config mufflers that will tuck up in that tunnel.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:09 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 897 Likes on 686 Posts

I have 2 magnaflow race mufflers in the tunnel recess. They are 4" bodies, 3" in/out and dumped. I believe they are 8" in length. Very tight fit. You have about 8.5" of clearance, or slightly less.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:52 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Received 378 Likes on 265 Posts

heres what i did 3" bullets with turndowns

it was too loud for me. were on the car 20 minutes. make me a decent offer theyre just sitting in the garage now.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 trans tunnel muffler??

Quick Reply: C6 trans tunnel muffler??