C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

No lift shift feature with M7?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 07:52 PM
rcgldr
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Default No lift shift feature with M7?

What settings are needed to enable the no lift shift feature (or is it always enabled)? What I've read about it, the no lift shift is supposed to hold the rpms at what they are at the start of a shift sequence, despite the throttle position. If the throttle has to be floored, then you'd need traction control and/or launch control enabled to stop tire spin in 1st gear. There's also the issue of someone (or at least me) being willing to hold the throttle floored on a 1st to 2nd gear shift, after reading about some incidents with tire spin on the 1st to 2nd gear shift getting the Z06 a bit sideways (I think there is a youtube video of this with a red Z06 failing to demo launch control.).

Old 10-30-2018, 08:09 PM
HorsePowerObsessed
Drifting

Received 624 Likes on 384 Posts

No lift shift doesn't have anything to do with holding a throttle at any specific position. You literally floor the car and hold the accelerator down to the floor when making a FAST up shift. All this does it keep the boost built so it doesn't have to rebuild it after every shift. What you are referring to with the throttle being held at a certain position sounds like launch control.

Last edited by HorsePowerObsessed; 10-30-2018 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:13 PM
gymdoc
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Requires some practice and overcoming what your brain tells you not to do .. make sure the nannies are on otherwise bye bye car.. Once you get it right its awesome..
The following users liked this post:
LagunaSecaZ06 (11-02-2018)
Old 10-31-2018, 11:12 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by rcgldr
What settings are needed to enable the no lift shift feature (or is it always enabled)? What I've read about it, the no lift shift is supposed to hold the rpms at what they are at the start of a shift sequence, despite the throttle position. If the throttle has to be floored, then you'd need traction control and/or launch control enabled to stop tire spin in 1st gear. There's also the issue of someone (or at least me) being willing to hold the throttle floored on a 1st to 2nd gear shift, after reading about some incidents with tire spin on the 1st to 2nd gear shift getting the Z06 a bit sideways (I think there is a youtube video of this with a red Z06 failing to demo launch control.).
no specific settings per say. Just floor it stab the clutch with your left foot while shifting car the same time holding your right foot on the gas all the way to the floor and don’t let up. I have not tried it. But it’s probably best to do the no lift shift at 5400 to 6000 rpm. While the lt4 redlines At 6400 or 6500 rpm. These cars peter out at anything much above 5500 rpm. If you stay in it until the redline you’ll hit the rev limiter and you’ll be losing ground.

If doing this this I would make sure you have stabilitrac on otherwise these cars get whiggy with the e-diff. There are a few here that have crashed doing the 1-2 or 2-3 shift and blame it on the computer fart malfunction or mechanical malfunction in the e-diff even with stability track on.

Ymmv- experimenting and don’t be surprised if you get bit square in the ***.

launch control is a ridiculous useless feature. Tadge introduced this feature in the c6 line up around 2010 as a me too feature keeping up with the Jones and their Nissan GT-R. The only difference is when you used launch control in the gtr it voided your warranty as it was tracked in the ecm. In the corvette it didn’t void the warranty. Launch control is choppy , hard on the drive train and is probably slower then gently rolling off the clutch at 1200 rpm and gradually going to the floor with the throttle. Never tried launch control in my c7z. Tried it in s base c7 I test drove. It didn’t work very well in an m7. Launch control in the a8 is a different story. It works well there

Here is a launch control a8 and m7 Demo

here is an m7 fail with launch control

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 10-31-2018 at 11:36 PM.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:57 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

No lift shift feature is great for drag racing once you get used to it. Works like a charm and as designed, kind of like the old speed shift but better.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:53 PM
LagunaSecaZ06
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Tadge answered:
No Lift Shift (NLS) works in all driver modes and with rev match on or off. In other words, all the time. Many manufacturers seek to reduce the stress in their drivelines by sensing the conditions for a power shift and close the throttle regardless of what the driver is doing with the throttle pedal. The problem with closing the throttle is that when the next gear is selected and the clutch is re-engaged, the intake manifold has very low pressure. The throttle then has to re-open to fill it and feed the cylinders. Although this all happens very quickly, there is a delay for the engine to back up to full torque (and these effects are magnified in charged engines where intake manifold pressures are higher). Although I can't share the calibration details, the NLS algorithm looks for the conditions where the driver is requesting maximum performance and, within certain bounds, keeps the throttle fully open during the shift to keep the manifold pressure relatively high. In this way the engine is ready to provide full torque upon completion of the shift. The performance difference is easily measured in our straight line acceleration testing. And of course the Corvette is designed for and fully validated for this usage.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...hift-work.html
Old 11-01-2018, 05:18 PM
MacRoadie
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by LagunaSecaZ06
Tadge answered:
And of course the Corvette is designed for and fully validated for this usage.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...hift-work.html
If only they'd put that somewhere in the owners manual (in several places, to be honest).

Last edited by MacRoadie; 11-01-2018 at 05:36 PM.
LagunaSecaZ06 (11-02-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 05:28 PM
HorsePowerObsessed
Drifting

Received 624 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by MacRoadie
If only they'd put that somewhere in the owners manual (or several places, to be honest).
Agreed.

But forums are good for this kind of info!
Old 11-01-2018, 05:34 PM
rcgldr
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Still seems risky. If not in launch control, then based on my experiments (on a private road) in order to get to full throttle in 1st gear, the tires will spin for about 1/4 second or so before TC stops them from spinning. What I'm then wondering is then on a no lift shift from 1st to 2nd, if the tires spin again, then does the TC have to go through another 1/4 second or so of tire spin before it stops them. This could be an issue. At this point I don't plan on testing no lift shift.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:37 PM
MacRoadie
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by JAYNO20
Agreed.

But forums are good for this kind of info!
Unfortunately, "But Tadge said on CorvetteForums" doesn't often fly with the GM warranty crew...

There has to be at least a hundred posts spread across every forum where guys printed out the MRC update info FROM TADGE AND JIM MERO, took it with them into a dealership, and were accused of making it up, or told it wasn't an actual GM document (even those guys who DID print out the actual document)

Last edited by MacRoadie; 11-01-2018 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:11 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo

no specific settings per say. Just floor it stab the clutch with your left foot while shifting car the same time holding your right foot on the gas all the way to the floor and don’t let up. I have not tried it. But it’s probably best to do the no lift shift at 5400 to 6000 rpm. While the lt4 redlines At 6400 or 6500 rpm. These cars peter out at anything much above 5500 rpm. If you stay in it until the redline you’ll hit the rev limiter and you’ll be losing ground.

If doing this this I would make sure you have stabilitrac on otherwise these cars get whiggy with the e-diff. There are a few here that have crashed doing the 1-2 or 2-3 shift and blame it on the computer fart malfunction or mechanical malfunction in the e-diff even with stability track on.

Ymmv- experimenting and don’t be surprised if you get bit square in the ***.

launch control is a ridiculous useless feature. Tadge introduced this feature in the c6 line up around 2010 as a me too feature keeping up with the Jones and their Nissan GT-R. The only difference is when you used launch control in the gtr it voided your warranty as it was tracked in the ecm. In the corvette it didn’t void the warranty. Launch control is choppy , hard on the drive train and is probably slower then gently rolling off the clutch at 1200 rpm and gradually going to the floor with the throttle. Never tried launch control in my c7z. Tried it in s base c7 I test drove. It didn’t work very well in an m7. Launch control in the a8 is a different story.

Max power in the LT4 is at 6400 rpm.
They do not "peter out" until beyond that rpm.

https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-te...e-power-curve/

Last edited by dar02081961; 11-01-2018 at 06:12 PM.
dvilin (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 02:37 PM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by dar02081961
Max power in the LT4 is at 6400 rpm.
They do not "peter out" until beyond that rpm.

https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-te...e-power-curve/
With NLS how much faster do you get in 1/4 mile? 0.1 second?
Old 12-13-2018, 03:46 PM
Cercone
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by rcgldr
Still seems risky. If not in launch control, then based on my experiments (on a private road) in order to get to full throttle in 1st gear, the tires will spin for about 1/4 second or so before TC stops them from spinning. What I'm then wondering is then on a no lift shift from 1st to 2nd, if the tires spin again, then does the TC have to go through another 1/4 second or so of tire spin before it stops them. This could be an issue. At this point I don't plan on testing no lift shift.
On the street Forget nls for the 1-2 shift, you’ll just spin. Only use it for 2-3 & 3-4 & 4-5. You need a track that’s prepared well and or a drag rear wheel set up with huge sidewalks to have a shot at the 1-2 nls getting traction to help your time.

Last edited by Cercone; 12-13-2018 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 03:38 AM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by okaythen
I would say that's about right.
Keep in mind there is little difference in time to execute a NLS and a quick lift shift.

So any gains in a NLS will come from additional power put to the ground directly after the shift when the manifold would normally need to re-pressurize and build boost. With a NLS the manifold stays pressurized and retains boost between shifts because the throttle isnt lifted. Normally when the throttle is lifted any boost in the manifold is relieved. This is true during a normal shift as well. Looking at some data logs it looks like it takes between 250-400 milliseconds for boost to be recovered during a shift.

Assuming you have the traction on an M7 in the 1/4th mile with NLS you could get up to 500-800 milliseconds more time at full throttle transmitting power to the ground. I don't know what that translates to in reduction of ET in the 1/4 mile, but I would say 1 tenth of a second possibly 2 is a fair assumption.

But like others have said the problem becomes traction especially on the street when its cool out or the tires are cold.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:02 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

I would say that with 4 gears that will be used in the 1/4 then possibly 8/10 of A second faster using it going to 2nd,3rd and 4th.Depends how quick you are.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:56 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

NLS is a very valuable feature for road course work. I love it and it improves lap times. Below is a short 1:30 video of a single lap at Hallett demonstrating NLS. I only shift twice per lap at Hallett so you only see it twice, once at the 0:30 second mark and the other at around the 1:13 mark. You might notice a slight bobble on my part at the 1:13 shift as I missed the 3rd gear gate at bit which cost me somewhere about 0.05 - 0.10 seconds.

You can also see how well the PTM feature works once you override your brain's attempt at self preservation. The brain doesn't like going to the floor with the accelerator at the apex of a corner. Takes a certain amount of trust but boy does it work well!!! Notice throttle position exiting most corners, if I'm going 100% throttle at the apex of corners then PTM is metering out the power and helping with lap times.

Last edited by rikhek; 05-21-2019 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:02 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Received 417 Likes on 283 Posts

Mr. Gizmo....you stated in your post #4, above...
"Launch control is a ridiculous useless feature. Tadge introduced this feature in the c6 line up around 2010 as a me too feature keeping up with the Jones and their Nissan GT-R. The only difference is when you used launch control in the gtr it voided your warranty as it was tracked in the ecm. In the corvette it didn’t void the warranty. Launch control is choppy , hard on the drive train and is probably slower then gently rolling off the clutch at 1200 rpm and gradually going to the floor with the throttle. Never tried launch control in my c7z. Tried it in s base c7 I test drove. It didn’t work very well in an m7. Launch control in the a8 is a different story. "

Just to set the record straight and I can not speak for early year GT-R's, Nissan would not have installed the Launch Control feature in their GT-R if they were going to nix the warranty should the owner used it. I owned a 2013 GT-R, bought it new in 2013 and it did have Launch Control and the Owner's Manual explained in detail how to use it. There was a warning that you shouldn't use it I believe more than 3 consecutive times without a cool down or risk potentially causing a failure, which could deny warranty. The GT-R launch in that production year was 0-60 mph in 2.7 seconds....you didn't have to do anything special, just set it up, put the car in Drive, and hold on, then pull the trigger. Front wheel drive and that twin clutch transmission were outrageous.

Last edited by tzoid9; 05-20-2019 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:20 PM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek
NLS is a very valuable feature for road course work. I love it and it improves lap times. Below is a short 1:30 video of a single lap at Hallett demonstrating NLS. I only shift twice per lap at Hallett so you only see it twice, once at the 0:30 second mark and the other at around the 1:13 mark. You might notice a slight bobble on my part at the 1:13 shift as I missed the 3rd gear gate at bit which cost me somewhere about 0.05 - 0.10 seconds.

You can also see how well the PTM feature works once you override your brain's attempt at self preservation. The brain doesn't like going to the floor with the accelerator at the apex of a corner. Takes a certain amount of trust but boy does it work well!!! Notice throttle position exiting most corners, if I'm going 100% throttle at the apex of corners then PTM is metering out the power and helping with lap times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeAHCHHo7Zc
Improves road course lap time by a lot huh?! I just got started with HPDE recently but I have never tried NLS in any cars. They say don't try it on the Z06 if you never done it before. Don't do it ? What can you damage if you mess it up?
Old 05-31-2019, 05:39 PM
2ZORNOT2Z
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 259 Posts

Improves road course lap time by a lot huh?! I just got started with HPDE recently but I have never tried NLS in any cars. They say don't try it on the Z06 if you never done it before. Don't do it ? What can you damage if you mess it up?
I'm a newb to the Z06 and still learning my car so don't plan to personally use NLS until post-break-in and likely would only try it on the 2-3 shift first to try and take some of the traction issues out of it as much as possible the first time. On my gen6 2SS we also had NLS and it was awesome, used it all the time. My SS would lay a very short scratch on the 1-2 using NLS so I can see how traction would be an issue on the 1-2 in the Z06 with 200 more ponies and a ton less weight. You also have to initiate the NLS from 1-2 a little sooner than you would think because the revs are climbing so fast. You will likely hit the limiter if you don't initiate it at 5500-6000 RPM. NLS on the 2-3 or 3-4 is much easier. Besides traction issues I think the biggest risk is missing a gear in the wrong direction trying to shift super-fast and having an over-rev situation. If you go from 3 to 2 by accident trying to NLS instead of hitting 4 the rev limiter won't help you. The only other risk I see is bouncing off the rev-limiter repeatedly if you don't do it right but I wouldn't think that would be a huge issue unless you make a habit of it.

Get notified of new replies

To No lift shift feature with M7?

Quick Reply: No lift shift feature with M7?