C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

How will C7 ZR1 be affected by the C8?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 06:47 AM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Received 729 Likes on 418 Posts
Default How will C7 ZR1 be affected by the C8?

Has there ever been a more widely anticipated Corvette reveal than the mid engine Corvette? Most would say “No” I believe. Are most expecting a phenomenal car? Most would say “Yes”. Is the performance of the C8 expected to surpass that of the C7. Again, “yes”... in fact, GM has pretty much guaranteed it. See whats happening here? Expectations are through the roof for the C8 to be a significant improvement over the C7... all C7’s including Z06’s and ZR1’s. But will it?... the Z06 and even more so the ZR1 now run toe to toe with the worlds best sports cars including much more expensive exotic mid engines, beating many of them. Now having spent a lifetime in the financial services industry, I learned over many years the easiest way to disappoint is to “over promise”. It can happen without intent. I definitely see that is the likely case with the C8. Near everyone is expecting a home run when it comes to the plate, right out of the box. Many are expecting the value of the C7 to tank with the C8’s arrival. I would make a counter arguement. IMO, despite believing the C8 will be a wonderful car, I think its impossible for GM to deliver something the lives up to the expectations. They have painted themselves into a box here, albeit unintentionally. Anything but pure perfection will be criticized. It is almost impossible for there not to be reliability issues in the early models... and counter to what is generally being anticipated, the values of the venerable front engine Corvette will hold strong and some models will even appreciate. I’m not “talking my book” here as we used to say in the securities business, simply trying to provide a counter point of view to people trying to decide whether to buy a current FE or wait for the ME. I hope this sparks arguements from the other side.

Last edited by Rinaldo Catria; 10-31-2018 at 06:50 AM.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:48 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

Two entirely different markets because they are 2 entirely different cars. I am beginning to think they won't even market it as a Corvette. I believe it's going to be an entirely new model of car and marketed exactly like that.

Last edited by Mcrider; 10-31-2018 at 06:49 AM.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:15 AM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts

To me I am not even worried about the C8. Subconsciously I dont even care because it will be a twin turbo car. It doesnt matter if it beats chiron, I wont buy one because I just cannot stand the sound and the overall other characteristics of a turbo car. This is after owning very advanced turbo cars (M3 and M5) which have pretensioned turbos to reduce lag as well as having a very natural powerband so the cars dont feel like turbo. I know it all. I know GM will do the same and will say their car doesnt feel like turbo yada yada yada. But it will. I clocked 60,000-70,000 miles on BMW’s turbo cars and I am telling you, its not a good experience. They also sound absolutely terrible compared to N/A V8. Even mclaren does. Even watching a video of Senna, I dont feel like I want that car although watching GT3RS, I do want that car.
The following users liked this post:
DocScott (10-31-2018)
Old 10-31-2018, 09:19 AM
DocScott
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Interesting take, I pray that they don't stop production until at least after 2020 for the FE model. I agree that the ME holds very little interest to me as of right now. The Z06 is also going to be at least 2 years after that and I have no desire to wait 3 more years to invest in my next car.
duanesZ06 (04-09-2019)
Old 10-31-2018, 10:29 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,975 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Interesting take on the matter that has valid points.

I believe on the long term, each car thrives on its own merits or fails due to its own shortcomings.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:55 AM
Racerdj
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts

Just being a mid-engine will guarantee exotic performance. Will if affect me, yes as it will guarantee my ZO6 MT and yet to be delivered ZR1 MT will have a place in my garage for a very long time. I sincerely hope the C-8 will be very close to my 488 and expect so. We are living in exciting times as the competition gives us the choice of cars that were just dreamed of years ago!!
The following 3 users liked this post by Racerdj:
duanesZ06 (04-09-2019), Plstxmd (01-17-2019), VetterFlyer (11-01-2018)
Old 10-31-2018, 02:48 PM
CORVETTEZL1001
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

The ME Corvette will definitely outperform the FE Corvette. The Benchmark for the ME Corvette should be the super car series Mclaren’s which have destroyed Ferrari and Lamborghini.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:07 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

No effect. 2 different philosophies of car design. Rear engine and mid engine has not intrigued me. The front engine with the motor set back and the transmission/transaxle in the back is as close to 50/50 weight distribution as you can get. The issue as we all know is lack of traction with front engine and 500 hp plus with only 2 wheel drive. I think mid engine and rear 2 wheel drive only will have traction issues as well with 600+ hp. I think some of the traction issues would be overcome in the cars whether they are front, mid or rear engine if the cars had tires with taller sidewalls. Indy cars still run a 15 or 16 inch wheel with tall sidewalls.

How come these cars have not gone to big rims 18,19 20, inch rims with little skinny donuts ?

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 11-01-2018 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:33 AM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
No effect. 2 different philosophies of car design. Rear engine and mid engine has not intrigued me. The front engine with the motor set back and the transmission/transaxle in the back is as close to 50/50 weight distribution as you can get. The issue as we all know is lack of traction with front engine and 500 hp plus with only 2 wheel drive. I think mid engine and rear 2 wheel drive only will have traction issues as well with 600+ hp. I think some of the traction issues would be overcome in the cars whether they are front, mid or rear engine if the cars had tires with taller sidewalls. Indy cars still run a 15 or 16 inch wheel with tall sidewalls.

How come these cars have not gone to big rims 18,19 20, inch rims with little skinny donuts ?
To your question: Less sidewall flex when cornering and “Looks”... but as you astutely pointed out: less “power down traction”, and (harsher ride and greater tisk for wheel damage from pot holes.)

Last edited by Rinaldo Catria; 11-01-2018 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:08 PM
rcgldr
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
Indy cars still run a 15 or 16 inch wheel with tall sidewalls. How come these cars have not gone to big rims 18,19 20, inch rims with little skinny donuts ?
Formula 1 will be going from 13 inch rims to 18 inch rims in 2021. It's not clear how this will affect performance, as tire compounds will also change to deal with the 18 inch rims. The current tire compounds are quite sticky, with lateral cornering around 2.0 to 2.5 g without downforce, but able to handle 4.0 to 5.0 g with the large amount of downforce at high speed. Keep in mine these cars weight around 1300 lbs with driver, with around 850 hp from the combined gas engine and electric motors. Putting this into perspective, Hoosier's softest (R25B) racing tires pull about 1.5 to 1.6 g laterally.

Also the sidewalls on the current tires are quite stiff. Formula 1 run optimally around 3 degrees or so slip angle, while Indy Cars when they were running mostly ovals were optimal around 2 degrees slip angle. (Not much tire flex).

The following 3 users liked this post by rcgldr:
Plstxmd (01-17-2019), spinkick (04-03-2019), VetterFlyer (11-01-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 12:22 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Originally Posted by rcgldr
Formula 1 will be going from 13 inch rims to 18 inch rims in 2021. It's not clear how this will affect performance, as tire compounds will also change to deal with the 18 inch rims. The current tire compounds are quite sticky, with lateral cornering around 2.0 to 2.5 g without downforce, but able to handle 4.0 to 5.0 g with the large amount of downforce at high speed. Keep in mine these cars weight around 1300 lbs with driver, with around 850 hp from the combined gas engine and electric motors. Putting this into perspective, Hoosier's softest (R25B) racing tires pull about 1.5 to 1.6 g laterally.

Also the sidewalls on the current tires are quite stiff. Formula 1 run optimally around 3 degrees or so slip angle, while Indy Cars when they were running mostly ovals were optimal around 2 degrees slip angle. (Not much tire flex).
Great information, thanks. Is that change promted by a move to larger regen brake systems?
Old 11-01-2018, 05:56 PM
rcgldr
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Rinaldo Catria
Great information, thanks. Is that change prompted by a move to larger regen brake systems?
No, and they're also banning the tire warmers (blankets). Formula 1 specs the tires to wear at a faster rate than what Pirelli could accomplish, so the teams end up using different strategies, such as 2 pit stops harder compounds versus 3 pit stops softer compounds. The 18 inch wheels and no tire warmers may play into the strategy, but it could mean that more (or all) of the teams will now use the same tire strategy. I'm not sure how this will work out and the effect on lap times.

Part of the legacy for 13 inch wheels is that the smaller wheels plus tires with taller sidewalls were lighter, despite the relatively stiff sidewalls used on Formula 1 tires. I don't know if that is still true. I assume magnesium wheels are banned in Formula 1 as in other race sports due to fire hazard. For track use with 3000 to 3500 lb cars, it seems that 18" to 19" wheels are ideal. For the lighter cars weighing around 1500 lbs, 13" wheels seem to be the most popular for track use.

Last edited by rcgldr; 11-01-2018 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:04 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by UnhandledException
To me I am not even worried about the C8. Subconsciously I dont even care because it will be a twin turbo car. It doesnt matter if it beats chiron, I wont buy one because I just cannot stand the sound and the overall other characteristics of a turbo car. This is after owning very advanced turbo cars (M3 and M5) which have pretensioned turbos to reduce lag as well as having a very natural powerband so the cars dont feel like turbo. I know it all. I know GM will do the same and will say their car doesnt feel like turbo yada yada yada. But it will. I clocked 60,000-70,000 miles on BMW’s turbo cars and I am telling you, its not a good experience. They also sound absolutely terrible compared to N/A V8. Even mclaren does. Even watching a video of Senna, I dont feel like I want that car although watching GT3RS, I do want that car.
Turbo BMWs lag. Same with the current Audi’s. There is no one that can claim otherwise. The c8 TT will also lag, probably more so.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:18 PM
tooold2race
Burning Brakes

Received 547 Likes on 284 Posts

Back on subject..... I think that there will be a FE and ME build along side each other for a few years at least. The FE diehards will hold up the values of the Z06 and ZR1 versions for a while, but in the long run (3 or 4 years in my opinion) the value of the Z series cars will tank. By the way, I'm one of those waiting for my ZR1 while on a couple lists for the new ME C8.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:48 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

Probably be the same as anytime they make a major model change, there will be lovers and there will be haters, some that have to have the new model, and some liking the old model, and they will hunt those out, and depending on the price of the new model, the older model may hold price, or drop like a sinking ship, it's just how it goes.
carsnpars (03-28-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 10:54 AM
samgauto
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts

I think most new ZR-1 owners do wonder how the C7 ZR-1 values will be affected, although I doubt many are loosing sleep over it. The value drop and desirability may vary more with some factors like.. if the 2019 is the last year for a rear drive ZR-1. Also, another factor will be if the base model ME C8 matches or exceeds the performance of the C7 ZR-1. I am not yet sure if I would sell my ZR-1 for a C8. If so, I would be more likely to purchase the 2nd year of the C8. That is not to say Chevrolet can't resolve most of the first year bugs, but it is just a personal preference. Also, even though the mid-engine vette has been in the works on and off since the Zora years, the fact that so much Corvette heritage has been established on a rear drive-front engine V8 platform, may hold a portion of some Vette owners into pre C8 models, again as a matter of personal preference. Although I had not driven a Corvette since my C4, and I ordered my ZR-1 not knowing how the C7 style drove, the ME is such a big change to me that I would test drive one first before considering the purchase. I have never driven a mid engine vehicle and would like to get a few miles in one to see the differences in overall cabin sound and dirveability.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:25 AM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by NY09C6

Turbo BMWs lag. Same with the current Audi’s. There is no one that can claim otherwise. The c8 TT will also lag, probably more so.
IF the engine is large enough to make decent power off boost, lag may not be as noticeable/detrimental
Mikec7z (04-02-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To How will C7 ZR1 be affected by the C8?

Old 01-17-2019, 12:50 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by NY09C6

You are making an assumption regarding the C8, a car that none of us know anything about. Amazing.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:01 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by punky
You are making an assumption regarding the C8, a car that none of us know anything about. Amazing.
Let's not go as far as to say none of us know "anything" about.

Every time you buy a car or most anything, something different will come along to effect the price................................... ...... Looking at how much $$$ I've spent on cars the past few years I need to quit looking
The following 3 users liked this post by DebRedZR1:
2019 ZR1 (04-03-2019), duanesZ06 (04-09-2019), Repo Pilot (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 04:19 PM
Plstxmd
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rcgldr

great reply right here... having driven an open wheel car, with downforce ( a formula Atlantic car) they are very different from street cars (even w downforce) in braking and the way they handle. The high sidewall tires let you feel that the tires are near the limit before letting go completely. I was concerned w that w the pilot sc2 ZP tires when I got my zo7, which of course was mostly an academic or potential worry, as it’s only really possible to explore this limit on a track, with a big tire budget. I thought that they might have an abrupt limit, they don’t seem to in cornering, but do w temperature and power delivery. Open wheel cars w wings and high sidewall tires actually INCREASE grip w speed, due to aero grip. Not being a pro racer, team engineer, or tire designer/engineer, I didn’t realize that “slip angle” was a variable engineered into the tire directly, but after the above great explanation it’s clear. Without thinking, I just imagined that tires are built trying to maximize traction and lifespan, within the limits of the regs, but this makes perfect sense, now!
again, thanks for the great response!

are tire flex and slip angle directly related, the same thing essentially, or does slip angle refer to the whole of the car? I suppose there’s one for the tire and one for the entire suspension system or corner, and yet another for the car as a whole? It makes us seem silly thinking we can happen on to a better system by changing to a different tire wo tons of validation... you might like the way it feels, but it would be hard to imagine it’s objectively better. I’ve not put racing slicks on mine, but most guys seem to see their lap times drop. I wonder if it’s because they move to 18’s, resulting in a wider sweetspot before they let go, or implied higher max grip giving you more bravery to exploit limits that were scarier to the driver w the stock rubber, but hasn’t moved? Love that Cosworth toolbox tho. It shows how inconsistent I am!

is there a tire subforum on here? I gotta look. We all talk, but the threads seem to be all over.

Quick Reply: How will C7 ZR1 be affected by the C8?