C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Installing door solenoids on my 57 hood releases

Old 11-05-2018, 03:13 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Default Installing door solenoids on my 57 hood releases

I mentioned before that I was unhappy with the quality of the aftermarket hood pull lever and cables ( Down the drain ) on my 57 and wanted to install electric door solenoids to pop the hood . Well the time has come because the hood latch just froze up and won't pull at all . I ordered the kit from Summit Racing ( $118.75 ) which includes two AutoLoc Pro series solenoids with mounting brackets , relays , two push buttons ,cables , hardware , and two door remotes . I won't need the remotes and one of the release buttons but I plan to mount a solenoid inside under the dash on each side and connect them to the same button on the drivers side . The cables will go straight through the original holes in the firewall to the latches . If the battery ever fails I will be able to just reach under the dash on each side and pull the cables to get at the battery . Looks like a pretty simple improvement to go along with all of the updates that I have done to the car .
Old 11-05-2018, 06:37 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,519 Likes on 2,783 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

That’s cool, post some pictures and tell us how they work once installed.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:50 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Factoid
That’s cool, post some pictures and tell us how they work once installed.
Making the conversion work shouldn't be a problem , but posting pictures might be a problem .I don't have a problem posting pictures anywhere else but I wish it was easier on here. If you want to post some I could email them to you .
Old 11-07-2018, 08:27 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

I received the parts kit yesterday from Summit so I can start the conversion today . Should be fun. Amazing how good Summit is , I ordered in late evening and it was here mid day the next day. I always get great service from them and rate them AAA+
Old 11-07-2018, 08:42 AM
Nick Bernier
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Would LOVE to do that to my '57. The cable system really sucks. What is the part number you used. I have a Summit Racing very close to me.
Thanks,
Nick
Old 11-07-2018, 09:24 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,035 Posts

I hope the solenoids are strong enough to pull the latch open as the springs are rather strong and the resistance of the pin to the latch must be overcome. I tried some cheap door kits that couldn't do it. Luckily, I put a hidden cable to manually open them.
Let us know how it works out.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:41 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by bj1k
I received the parts kit yesterday from Summit so I can start the conversion today . Should be fun. Amazing how good Summit is , I ordered in late evening and it was here mid day the next day. I always get great service from them and rate them AAA+
I’ve been buying from Summit since the mid-1980’s and I agree, they are awesome! I’m having similar picture posting issues, but every once and awhile one will go through. Keep trying!
Old 11-07-2018, 03:42 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

I've been working on fabricating some brackets for under the dash next to where the cable will go through the firewall . I'm taking pictures and if I can figure out how to get them to the forum I will be glad to share them and any information . The power in the solenoids should be plenty. They are rated at 35 to 50 pounds and the pull force needed right at the latches is very little . It seems like more when going through the original double cable .
Old 11-08-2018, 11:22 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Nick Bernier
Would LOVE to do that to my '57. The cable system really sucks. What is the part number you used. I have a Summit Racing very close to me.
Thanks,
Nick
I will give all of the information as soon as I finish and make sure the solenoids have enough power . The part number that I bought is supposed to have enough power to open the heaviest doors , even with rusty hinges . It is a better company than the ones offered on ebay ( China ) which they say will burn out if the hinges develop any rust . We will see. I'm counting on Summit to handle the good ones .

Old 11-09-2018, 02:51 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

I will give all of the information as soon as I finish and make sure the solenoids have enough power . The part number that I bought is supposed to have enough power to open the heaviest doors , even with rusty hinges . It is a better company than the ones offered on ebay ( China ) which they say will burn out if the hinges develop any rust . We will see. I'm counting on Summit to handle the good ones .
OK, as usual nowadays, i'm confused; how does hinges affect how a door latch operates?
Bill
Old 11-09-2018, 03:37 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Making the conversion work shouldn't be a problem , but posting pictures might be a problem .I don't have a problem posting pictures anywhere else but I wish it was easier on here. If you want to post some I could email them to you .
Open a free account at www.imgur.com

Upload your pics there.
Click on an uploaded thumbnai picl and the pic will open up.

Click on the Copy tab to the right of the open pic.
Paste the URL in your post and type [img] before the URL, and [/img] after the URL.
Doug
Old 11-09-2018, 09:00 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by wmf62
ok, as usual nowadays, i'm confused; how does hinges affect how a door latch operates?
Bill
i guess they mean that they have to work in conjunction with the door poppers . I questioned that myself but that is what they said .

Old 11-09-2018, 09:06 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Open a free account at www.imgur.com

Upload your pics there.
Click on an uploaded thumbnai picl and the pic will open up.

Paste the URL in your post and type [img] before the URL, and after the URL.
Doug
Thanks Doug , I will pass this information on to my wife . She was a manager at Sears until retirement and she knows computers better than me . I also gave her a copy of the sticky on pictures so she can probably figure it out .

Old 11-09-2018, 09:10 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDoug

Paste the URL in your post and type [img] before the URL, and after the URL.
Doug
Actually, all you need to do is click the copy tab on the BBCode option.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:21 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

OK , Everything is going well . I fabricated brackets and mounted the solenoids , one on each side next to the firewall inside with an adjustable 1/8 inch threaded rod running out to the latch arm . I replaced the bolts that hold the latches with longer ones and bolted the new brackets to the same bolts . I put a 1/8 inch hole in the end of the latch arm so I can put adjustable equalizer springs that will pull down on the latch arms to lessen the load on the solenoids . That should lessen the strength of the original springs and make the solenoids last longer . All that is left is to wire everything to the relays and activator button . I'll be working on that next week . I'm taking pictures of everything and will be glad to share when it is done . BJ
Old 11-09-2018, 10:59 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

OK , Everything is going well . I fabricated brackets and mounted the solenoids , one on each side next to the firewall inside with an adjustable 1/8 inch threaded rod running out to the latch arm . I replaced the bolts that hold the latches with longer ones and bolted the new brackets to the same bolts . I put a 1/8 inch hole in the end of the latch arm so I can put adjustable equalizer springs that will pull down on the latch arms to lessen the load on the solenoids . That should lessen the strength of the original springs and make the solenoids last longer . All that is left is to wire everything to the relays and activator button . I'll be working on that next week . I'm taking pictures of everything and will be glad to share when it is done . BJ
share a video of it working if you can as well.....
Old 11-10-2018, 06:07 AM
stefanosg
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Wanna see this

Get notified of new replies

To Installing door solenoids on my 57 hood releases

Old 11-10-2018, 09:24 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by firstgear
share a video of it working if you can as well.....
Now you are asking for a lot . I'm still trying to figure out how to send pictures . I will work on that one too.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:01 AM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

The video is actually easier as you can upload it to YouTube and then copy and paste the link to this thread. For example (as I post gratuitous link to walk around video of 1988 LR Defender with LS engine I built):

Old 11-10-2018, 10:46 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Wow , I can fabricate anything but it looks like I have a lot to learn about pictures and videos . I guess I'll have to buy a video camera . We will see if you can teach an old dog a new trick ! Thanks for that .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [C1] Installing door solenoids on my 57 hood releases