C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Tyler Chevrolet - Niles Michigan Dealer Vehicle Abuse

Old 11-08-2018, 03:45 PM
Jvm728
Heel & Toe

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tyler Chevrolet - Niles Michigan Dealer Vehicle Abuse

First time poster, long time lurker.

Just got my first Corvette last week, 2016 M7 Z06 2LZ. Was able to buy one that was already done the way I would do it and save a few dollars. Has intake, headers, x-pipe, tune, lowered on bolts, wheels; its truly beautiful. Matt Dibinetto's old car (thanks @mattdracing ).

Welp, it had an open recall for the ole airbag/seatbelt tensioner. NHTSA Recall Number: 16V651 Manufacturer Recall Number: 2016007. Called yesterday, Dakota, the service advisor got me scheduled to drop it off this morning and it will be finished before days end. I wanted to get this done before snowfall.

Dropped it off, Dakota was nice, seemed like a decent little dealership. Called at noon, no update. Received phone call at 2pm and it was ready. Well, the car was actually ready and in the parking lot at 11am. I enabled PDR + Valet and got videos of the car being moved, snooped at (checking out headers and intake), then the service. Update is done in about 10 minutes. Then, the car is headed out for a good ole dealer tech joyride. Fishtail, redline, 90mph in 45mph zone, 90mph on US 12, 2nd and 3rd gear pull. Rear end goes out a few times. Swerving and driving on wrong side of road, Incredible.

No audio, - I guess because audio is disabled in valet mode the valet videos don't capture it, but normal PDR videos do. Hm.

Emailed GM/Chevrolet for Dealer/Service Concern. We'll see what they say. I think the Owner's behavior and excuses of "anytime we do maintenance we do a test drive to look for lights and check mechanical function" is bogus. Flashing a software update on the airbag controller has nothing to do with engine transmission or mechanical function. He said they wouldn't have taken it out for tire inflation or for carwash <- I used those examples as other non-mechanical services. So stupid. I'm 100% confident if it was my Yukon or Sierra it wouldn't have been taken out at all, nor flogged on.

Any stories/resolutions from other members?

Tech driver joyride man

As delivered out front

Coming off of the trailer
Old 11-09-2018, 06:29 AM
01Defense
Burning Brakes

Received 287 Likes on 187 Posts

He should be fired!! Check your tires Can you determine if he disabled traction control? Maybe onstar has some info. GLWT situation
Old 11-09-2018, 07:43 AM
Jvm728
Heel & Toe

i don’t think he did, but maybe
Old 11-09-2018, 07:44 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,755 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Go to dealer request meeting with dealer principal.

Transfer a copy of the pdr videos onto a device you can play the videos on.

bring said device eg. a laptop or tablet you can play the video on.

dress at a minimum business casual. Speak clearly, firmly but respectful.

Go with the exact compensation you seek.

let the dealer principal know that you have NOT YET posted anything about this on social media or gone to the local news stations etc. But with the amount of views you could get on YouTube you could make a few thousand or more.

And see what happens.

Becaise the car is modded powertrain warranty is moot point but the rest if the car could be covered under an extended one and that is big $$$$.

Maybe new rear tires or cash equivalent? Next 10 oil changes free? You have to cone up with it. Maybe you can get a credit and use it on another gm product there (Chevy can service GMC etc it's up to individual dealer and level of competent techs that can do the work on another sub brand of GM).

if that doesn't work message all the big YouTubers give them the video unless you have your own YouTube account and put it up everywhere Facebook local news stations you name it will get a lot of views if what you're saying is accurate trust me that dealership does not want that publicity.

and you shouldn't speak to anybody but the dealer principal in a one-on-one meeting because everybody underneath Him is just going to try to get you out the door with the least amount of compensation or apology eg a GM or other manager.

that's terrible. Very glad my dealer is so good.

ps. Did you deal directly with the service manager or just a service advisor? I made it a point to only build my service manager and I tip him well and the tech that works on my car call the Corvette tax whatever you will but the one thing I don't have to worry about when my car is there it's always moved to a private area when completed in doors alone locked up. And only two people move the car the service manager and the one Tech that's it I would trust either of those guys to take my car home it probably helps that both of them on Corvette LOL.

let us know how you make out.

+++ Just watched your video.. most you could hope for is the tech's apology and maybe an oil change. He shouldnt have done it. It's a scumbag move but he didnt do anything that any reasonable person is going to consider harmful (other than violate some MV statutes). And the police aren't gonna do a thing to him you would have to sign the complaints. Why would you? To make an enemy?

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 11-09-2018 at 08:05 AM.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:33 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,100 Likes on 752 Posts

Absolutely ridiculous. There's no way the dealership can justify what that tech did. There was no reason for him to take the car out for that length of time based on the service performed.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:08 AM
iw172
Drifting

Location: Retired early,everyday is Saturday...Hocking Hills Ohio
Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Awful! like seeing a video of a dude having his way w/your woman... smh
Old 11-09-2018, 02:30 PM
Jvm728
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by iw172
Awful! like seeing a video of a dude having his way w/your woman... smh
ha. Good point.

Jalopnik wrote an article. The new info from the dealer is hilarious. Incompetent

https://jalopnik.com/dealership-take...ide-1830339251
Old 11-09-2018, 03:35 PM
thelastday
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

Insane...
Old 11-09-2018, 04:35 PM
Gvnski
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Watched your video, don't see the big deal I think you are grasping at straws.
The following 4 users liked this post by Gvnski:
09ZR1 (11-10-2018), The Rock1 (11-13-2018), timmyZ06 (11-10-2018), WKM (11-12-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 05:09 PM
Red Devil
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

He can't be very smart knowing that these cars have PDR's, unless he thinks he hasn't done anything wrong. Also he can't drive standard worth a **** as he's in seventh gear doing 50 miles an hour, I can't even get my Z out of 3rd LOL.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:56 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

Has the dealer offered any compensation?
You'd think the tech would have remembered about valet mode ...
Old 11-09-2018, 06:01 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,919 Likes on 4,805 Posts

I would not be pleased but not sure what action you can take other than the dealer terminating the tech or discipline him in some other way.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:10 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Received 637 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by Gvnski
Watched your video, don't see the big deal I think you are grasping at straws.
You might have a different attitude if it was your car and the idiot driving it whacked into another car, hit somebody or bounced off a curb. As any of us with Z's are aware, unless you know how to handle them, a novice or dumb kid can easily loose control, especially if they decide to turn off the nannies and see how well they can smoke your tires. Why so many people today are so willing to shrug off or accept misbehavior is a mystery to me.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:49 PM
Gvnski
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Maybe you watched a different video than me, I didn't see him whack into another car, hit anybody or bounce off a curb. I don't know that he was a novice or a kid.
I also didn't see him turn off nannies or see how well he could smoke the tires. And you are right, it wasn't my car.

Last edited by Gvnski; 11-09-2018 at 07:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
WKM (11-12-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 08:28 PM
Jvm728
Heel & Toe

my frustration is when he turns on 933, thru the stoplight after the van moves out of the way, he punches it and breaks them loose. after that, its 90mph, driving in the other lane for no apparent reason (i bet texting his friends), then on US12 for a 2nd gear pull to redline, another 90mph, and back home to dealer. all while done after the paperwork was closed out with the correct give-back mileage, rendering it incorrect. then the walkaway, looking at the car saying 'wow' is a problem. shows intent on why it was driven.

dealer offered nothing other than sorry (that we were caught!)

Last edited by Jvm728; 11-09-2018 at 08:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Harbgrogan (11-13-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 08:35 PM
BOBSZ857
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 168 Posts

Sorry that you have to go through all this BS. I have learned since I bought my Z that when it goes to the Dealership, I wait for it. I have been fortunate and have had good experiences and the Techs have been good. I also ask to do a walk around the car before and after. Maybe a little **** to some, but it seems to work for me. Good Luck.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:43 PM
trevor90
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 85 Posts

so when you enable pdr in valet mode, i'm assuming the screen doesn't come on? but it's recording?

and side note, that car looks so sick

Get notified of new replies

To Tyler Chevrolet - Niles Michigan Dealer Vehicle Abuse

Old 11-09-2018, 08:58 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Received 637 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by Gvnski
Maybe you watched a different video than me, I didn't see him whack into another car, hit anybody or bounce off a curb. I don't know that he was a novice or a kid.
I also didn't see him turn off nannies or see how well he could smoke the tires. And you are right, it wasn't my car.
You missed the point...completely. "If" was the operative word; it could easily have happened and if it was your car, you'd be the one complaining.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:01 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Jvm728
my frustration is when he turns on 933, thru the stoplight after the van moves out of the way, he punches it and breaks them loose. after that, its 90mph, driving in the other lane for no apparent reason (i bet texting his friends), then on US12 for a 2nd gear pull to redline, another 90mph, and back home to dealer. all while done after the paperwork was closed out with the correct give-back mileage, rendering it incorrect. then the walkaway, looking at the car saying 'wow' is a problem. shows intent on why it was driven.

dealer offered nothing other than sorry (that we were caught!)
make it known on social media, Facebook or any other venues that the dealer took your car on a joy ride. Get a sign made and walk back and forth in front of the dealership.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:08 PM
RegnaR
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 193 Posts

This is all over already. Saw this on jalopnik and another site today

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tyler Chevrolet - Niles Michigan Dealer Vehicle Abuse