C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1985 Corvette Healights Wont Go Down

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 01:11 PM
Stubs
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 Corvette Healights Wont Go Down

Hello everyone, i am new to this forums and happy to be here. My 1985 Corvette's headlights wont retreact into their housing, the headlights come on but when i shut the headlights off the headlights won't retreact. Any idea's of what could be wrong would be greatly apprecated. Thanks
Old 11-09-2018, 01:47 PM
Eilias
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Check the plugs for the motors, they could be loose or corroded. On my 93 the previous owner disconnected the motor ground because the gears were stripped instead of fixing them.

That brings me to another solution, try turning the ****. If that doesn't move the headlights, you'll have to take the motor apart and replace the bushings and possibly the gear. They were nylon and over the years age and heat take their toll and they disintegrate. Takes maybe 45 minutes to change them yourself, and there are several videos on youtube that go through the process. Best part is you can remove them from the hood and work on a bench. You'll need Torx bits and I believe a punch to completely disassemble.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:01 PM
Stubs
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Eilias
Check the plugs for the motors, they could be loose or corroded. On my 93 the previous owner disconnected the motor ground because the gears were stripped instead of fixing them.

That brings me to another solution, try turning the ****. If that doesn't move the headlights, you'll have to take the motor apart and replace the bushings and possibly the gear. They were nylon and over the years age and heat take their toll and they disintegrate. Takes maybe 45 minutes to change them yourself, and there are several videos on youtube that go through the process. Best part is you can remove them from the hood and work on a bench. You'll need Torx bits and I believe a punch to completely disassemble.
thanks for the response I will check that out, just saw a chrisfix video where he changed the gears.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:07 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by Stubs
Hello everyone, i am new to this forums and happy to be here. My 1985 Corvette's headlights wont retreact into their housing, the headlights come on but when i shut the headlights off the headlights won't retreact. Any idea's of what could be wrong would be greatly apprecated. Thanks
sounds like a possible relay issue - time to dig out the FSM. under electrical diagnosis, reference "headlight doors" - pgs 168-171 --

Last edited by Joe C; 11-09-2018 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:43 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Please be advised: Many people, (even on this very educational forum!) aren't aware that the headlight design for the '84-'87 Corvette is ENTIRELY DIFFERENT than the '88-'96 Corvette. Be very careful of any suggestions from someone who owns an '88 & up Corvette!

How long have you owned this car? Did both headlight motors quit at the same time?

Old 11-09-2018, 02:46 PM
Stubs
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
Please be advised: Many people, (even on this very educational forum!) aren't aware that the headlight design for the '84-'87 Corvette is ENTIRELY DIFFERENT than the '88-'96 Corvette. Be very careful of any suggestions from someone who owns an '88 & up Corvette!

How long have you owned this car? Did both headlight motors quit at the same time?

owned the car for about 4 years now, and both of the headlights did quit at the same time, all of a sudden they wouldn’t go down
Old 11-09-2018, 03:09 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Owned the car for about 4 years now, and both of the headlights did quit at the same time, all of a sudden they wouldn’t go down.
That tells me Joe C has given you some excellent advice! Thanks Joe! You do have the FSM for your car, don't you?

(FSM - Factory Service/Shop Manual)

Old 11-09-2018, 03:20 PM
Stubs
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
That tells me Joe C has given you some excellent advice! Thanks Joe! You do have the FSM for your car, don't you?

(FSM - Factory Service/Shop Manual)

just have the owners manual if that’s what you mean. You think it is a relay and not the gears?
Old 11-09-2018, 03:43 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The early C4 headlamps have 3 relays. One for each lamp motor and an "isolation relay". The isolation relay changes the current polarity so that when you turn off the headlamps, that relay changes the polarity so that the motors run in reverse which then closes the lamp buckets. The 3 relays are located at the left front of the car under a metal plate. They are attached to the front of the left side wheelwell.

The isolation relay is the smaller of the 3; You my want to remove that relay and clean the harness contacts and the contacts on the relay. If that doesn't work, a replacement relay may be the solution. I don't think they are very expensive
Old 11-09-2018, 04:08 PM
Stubs
6th Gear

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
The early C4 headlamps have 3 relays. One for each lamp motor and an "isolation relay". The isolation relay changes the current polarity so that when you turn off the headlamps, that relay changes the polarity so that the motors run in reverse which then closes the lamp buckets. The 3 relays are located at the left front of the car under a metal plate. They are attached to the front of the left side wheelwell.

The isolation relay is the smaller of the 3; You my want to remove that relay and clean the harness contacts and the contacts on the relay. If that doesn't work, a replacement relay may be the solution. I don't think they are very expensive
thanks for the input, will check that out for sure
Old 11-13-2018, 09:15 PM
Stubs
6th Gear

I put a new isolation relay in and the headlights still won’t go down, I don’t think it is the headlight motors or gears because how could both of them break at the exact time. Any thoughts???
Old 11-14-2018, 03:38 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

just have the owners manual if that’s what you mean. You think it is a relay and not the gears?
(my scanner's down for the count, so all I can provide are a few pics) if you're serious about "wrench bending" on your car, you need to invest in a FSM.

here is a few pics of the headlight door diagram and diagnostics.

Last edited by Joe C; 11-14-2018 at 03:43 AM.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:29 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

Make sure you **** didn't go to far down the stalk because it will stop to soon to take the headlights down.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:06 AM
Mike1985
Instructor

I have the same problem on mine. Headlights stuck up, but if I tap the drivers side housing I can hear the motor trying to turn for a second, then it'll stop. Thinking the motors are blown?

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 Corvette Healights Wont Go Down

Quick Reply: 1985 Corvette Healights Wont Go Down