Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Forced to display front license plate?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 10:29 AM
RetroGuy
Drifting

Received 506 Likes on 311 Posts
Default Forced to display front license plate?

In California, we are supposed to always have a front license displayed. However, as many of you know, that just screws up the sleek look of our Corvettes. I rarely see a Corvette in southern California with a front plate. I was told that police usually won't pull you over for a missing front plate, but will tack that on as a fine or "fix-it" if they pull you over for something else like speeding. Do you think police give certain cars missing a front plate a pass? I currently drive around without a front plate, but have it behind my front passenger seat, just in case. Anyone forced to put the front plate on? I'd be pissed if I were forced to put it on!
Old 11-10-2018, 10:54 AM
yd328
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 68 Posts

I do the same here. I haven't been stopped yet but, it does give them a reason to stop you.

Gary
Old 11-10-2018, 12:17 PM
Zak2018
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting thread as I was thinking the same thing. I will also need a front plate. I was wondering if having it lower by the side would look better than in the middle. I would definitely like to have it under the nose as opposed to removing the front plate cover and having it there. I think it would spoil the front look a bit less having it under the nose, either middle or side.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:28 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Driving with no front plate can be a valid reason for an LEO to pull you over. I have no real desire to be stopped for that reason alone so I have a front plate mounted on all my vehicles. WA requires a front plate and the law does have some language regarding where the plate can be mounted including height off the ground. But the law also provides for an LEO to have some discretion as to where the plate is.

I just don't want to be bothered by getting stopped for a no front plate violation. Too easy to have a plate mounted and visible.

What I do find strange about WA plate laws is that some plate types only get one plate and a "forever" registration. When the "Collector Plate" program started, lots of small towm police officers would pull cars over for not having a front plate. They wouldn't listen to a driver's explanation and the only way to get of a ticket was to go to the city court. Lots better now as there are a variety of single plate programs offered thru the WA DOL.

Last edited by c4cruiser; 11-10-2018 at 12:31 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by c4cruiser:
Art17 (11-15-2018), DGXR (07-06-2020), jazfe (07-06-2020)
Old 11-10-2018, 01:52 PM
Matt81
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Texas has a similar program. If you have an antique vehicle (25+ years old and limited use), you only mount a rear, special plate. I have that registration for both my 78 and 88. Allowed me to keep the original molded cover that goes over the front plate mounts.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:57 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

In ohio, i think they have an antique program (25 yrs or older), but there are some restrictions saying only driven to a show/ stuff like that.

they sell a bubble front license plate cover that fits the lines of my c4 exactly. I believe mid america , ecklers, etc sells it

my c4 is black, so i tinted the cover slightly with a light coat of some opaquish paint. I think it was laser
veil or some supposedly laser diffusing paint (though i dont know whether to believe that - who cares it put a slight tint on the cover)

IMHO its an amazing solution bc the plate is there, legible, but you dont really notice it.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:37 PM
Zak2018
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
In ohio, i think they have an antique program (25 yrs or older), but there are some restrictions saying only driven to a show/ stuff like that.

they sell a bubble front license plate cover that fits the lines of my c4 exactly. I believe mid america , ecklers, etc sells it

my c4 is black, so i tinted the cover slightly with a light coat of some opaquish paint. I think it was laser
veil or some supposedly laser diffusing paint (though i dont know whether to believe that - who cares it put a slight tint on the cover)

IMHO its an amazing solution bc the plate is there, legible, but you dont really notice it.
Could you post a picture?
Old 11-10-2018, 03:38 PM
AgentEran
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by RetroGuy
In California, we are supposed to always have a front license displayed. However, as many of you know, that just screws up the sleek look of our Corvettes. I rarely see a Corvette in southern California with a front plate. I was told that police usually won't pull you over for a missing front plate, but will tack that on as a fine or "fix-it" if they pull you over for something else like speeding. Do you think police give certain cars missing a front plate a pass? I currently drive around without a front plate, but have it behind my front passenger seat, just in case. Anyone forced to put the front plate on? I'd be pissed if I were forced to put it on!
Be careful, they can and will write you parking tickets for no front licence plate and parked on public street.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:39 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Driving with no front plate can be a valid reason for an LEO to pull you over.
yes, yes, yes - it's called "probable cause" --- short story - a friend of mine in ohio, was pulled over for not having a front plate. LEO was nice, and said he would just give him a warning ticket. my dipschitt buddy said to the LEO, "you can give me all the warnings you want, I'm not going to run a front plate." the "warning" immediately went to a full blown ticket - I don't remember what he had to pay, but as I recall, it wasn't cheap. sometimes it just better to keep your trap shut -

Old 11-10-2018, 05:46 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Colorado has front/rear plates.... I never run a front plate... Looks terrible imo
Old 11-10-2018, 07:02 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Have it on the vette, doesn't bother me too much. If it didn't come with it it would a little more. The firebird doesn't have a front plate though. I didn't have the heart to drill on the bracket. And it looks stupid on that car. At least the vette had the spot for it.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:18 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 271 Posts

I've been stopped and ticketed in MA for not having a front plate. I hate it, but I always run one now.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:30 PM
BMF_C6
Pro

Received 311 Likes on 186 Posts

Was stopped and ticketed in Fort Worth, Texas, $136.00 + court costs, had driven for a couple of years after buying the it without any issues but out of the blue was pulled over and ticketed.

Found out that Texas had made a change to the law and had left out the "teeth" for a violation. They forgot to write in the $$ amount for a violation so police didn't ticket for it. The state corrected the issue during the next legislature session and I guess I was the lucky one to find a LEO officer that wash itching to enforce the new fix.......at least I found a bracket that doesn't look too bad....
Old 11-10-2018, 10:58 PM
novaks47
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 94 Posts

I've only been popped for it once, and it was in a different car. It was a young looking rookie cop, being trained by very grumpy looking older cop. Pretty sure that's the only reason he bothered. Loads of cars in the Bay Area and surrounding areas run without front plates. I don't have one on my C4 or my daily driver(Volt), never been an issue. Sure, I could get popped again for it, but I doubt it. Even if you do get ticketed for it, it's just a fix-it ticket. Put the plate on, get it signed off, pay the small fee, remove front plate, and carry on.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:33 PM
ElisTwoCents
Le Mans Master

Received 420 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I’m in California, have a pair of Vettes without the front plate without being pulled over for it since 2003 (when I moved to the state)
Old 11-11-2018, 12:12 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

For many years working contracts in lower NY my Vette was registered in OH. Once while exiting NE NJ I got in a local "traffic raid". The cop saw no front tag, waved me over, walked around back to see the tag. Guess he thought ON had only one tag because he waved me on with no ticket.

Now, as a NY resident, I installed the damn fugly front tag to avoid any $-making hassle from local cops.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:33 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by novaks47
I've only been popped for it once, and it was in a different car. It was a young looking rookie cop, being trained by very grumpy looking older cop. Pretty sure that's the only reason he bothered. Loads of cars in the Bay Area and surrounding areas run without front plates. I don't have one on my C4 or my daily driver(Volt), never been an issue. Sure, I could get popped again for it, but I doubt it. Even if you do get ticketed for it, it's just a fix-it ticket. Put the plate on, get it signed off, pay the small fee, remove front plate, and carry on.
had this same scenario happen - was the only time i got pulled over for no front plate

it was awkward because the cop accelerated to get in front of me (to look for the front plate) and then braked to get behind me (to pull me over).

This was before my current solution of the body countoured front plate bubble cover.

it was like they were bored and said ‘hey there is a vette, it probably has no front plate so lets pull it over’.

it was a training situation, with 2 cops in the car. Medina county sheriff office (ohio) about 2002 timeframe.

They were friendly, and i got a written warning .

it was annoying because i was on my way to dragstrip and other people must have saw me pulled over .

All kinds of rumors - that i was trying to outrun the cops, speeding over 100mph,

ummm. No just driving with no front plate.

btw i was ticketed for going 11 over the speed limit once and the cop forgot to check / note the lack of a front plate. So i saved money there. Again this was all before my current solution (of running a front plate with bubble cover)

Last edited by dizwiz24; 11-11-2018 at 08:33 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Forced to display front license plate?

Old 11-11-2018, 09:13 AM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

I also see a few guys run these. I don't think you can mount it on a C4 but it is pretty freaking cool.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:48 AM
RetroGuy
Drifting

Received 506 Likes on 311 Posts

Since my '96 is not a daily driver and will never be driven out of CA, I'm going to live dangerously and take the risk. I see many more Corvettes without one than with one; both older & late model years. There's also a lot of other sports cars and exotics that never have one. Maybe the CA cops are way too busy with other crime and road rage shootings to bother. Not having a front plate will remind me to obey all speed limits and traffic laws
Old 11-11-2018, 12:29 PM
4theboy
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24

We have the the antique plate program in IL also, but still require 2 plates and has the similar restrictions.

In our state you can get ticketed for that front plate cover, especially if you tinted it. They made any plate cover, including clear, illegal in IL.

Quick Reply: Forced to display front license plate?