Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Oh shit value guide issue?!

Old 11-10-2018, 06:40 PM
Crossofiron
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Oh **** value guide issue?!

Very aware of all the questions about the value guide issue with the LS7.

I have 23,000 trouble free miles on a stock 2011 LS7. Very little valve noise at about 1,700 rpm. Been like that since the day I brought it home brand new.

Started the car today and notice a loud ticking noise and when i started to accelerate, there was a slight surge. and stumble.Turned the car around and right back into garage. Does this seem like the dreaded value guide issue? Would driving it cause a rod through the block?

Last edited by Crossofiron; 11-11-2018 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:46 PM
C6Z06Silverbullet
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossofiron

I have 23,000 trouble free miles on a stock 2011 LS7. Very little valve noise at about 1,700 rpm. Been like that since the day I brought it home brand new.

Started the car today and notice a loud ticking noise and when i started to accelerate, there was a slight surge. and stumble.Turned the car around and right back into garage. Does this seem like the dreaded valy guide issue? Would driving it cause a rod through the block?
Sure sounds like it. Don't even try and start it. Pull the valve covers and see whst's going on.
Good luck!
Old 11-10-2018, 07:12 PM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Received 1,017 Likes on 566 Posts

Be thankful you got 23k miles, like rolling the dice.....
i wouldnt drive it again,till looked at
Old 11-10-2018, 11:19 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Agree. Don't drive. In for the results ........

DH
Old 11-10-2018, 11:35 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

It could be anything .. Spark plug wire popped off, broken valve spring, etc.

But I'm confused - you say "..well aware of the valve guide issues..", but you didn't mention, at 20K plus miles, that you've pulled a valve cover to check anything.

Learn from this guy.. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...alve-list.html

Don't be a statistic. Pretending "that stuff happens to other people" won't get you very far.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 11-10-2018 at 11:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (11-11-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 01:37 AM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 582 Posts

I heard a similar loud ticking, like the sewing machine noise only amplified. Luckily I was on base and going less than 5 mph and shut it down within 400m. Ended up have a few broke valve springs and my AHP heads were a few weeks from being delivered. It could be a few things from a loose or bad plug to a failed lifter or broken valve springs. Definitely don’t drive it, pull the covers and check it out. Looks like you caught it before it committed LS7 suicide but that doesn’t mean it’s an easy fix. I “only” had broken valve springs but it still ended up costing a good bit of money to make it right. I could have went a cheaper route but figured while the block is out I mine as well make everything right and upgrade and replace everything in the block. Good luck man, I hope it’s a simple fix for you. Only advice I have is find a good reliable shop, keep the machine shop and mechanic separate and trust no one. Lots of shady JV shops out there, seems like the good ones are getting harder and harder to find.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:51 AM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 789 Likes on 533 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Started the car today and notice a loud ticking noise and when i started to accelerate, there was a slight surge. and stumble.Turned the car around and right back into garage. Does this seem like the dreaded valy guide issue? Would driving it cause a rod through the block?
Original owner of a "trouble free" stock Z07 with 3000 miles on it in March/April of this year, checked the heads and had bad guides. AHP replacement heads via a GMPP warranty.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:07 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

If its loud and stumbling you could already have had a failure I wouldnt even start it. You can pull plugs and stick a borescope in ea cyl if youre curious..
The whole head issue...what a black eye for GM.

Last edited by cv67; 11-11-2018 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:15 AM
black00ta
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

It's never worth the risk, not with the replacement cost of this engine. Get it checked out and report back!
Landru (11-11-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 12:19 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

It could also be a cam lobe starting to go. That's not exactly uncommon. I've had that happen in addition to two head replacements due to excessive valve guide wear. If you find guide wear and have the heads gone through, be sure to have the cam looked over while things are opened up. Good luck.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:28 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,045 Likes on 819 Posts

No excuse, really.
LS7 owners have an obligation to inform themselves w/ this motor.
IF they don't when this well known issue occurs it's on them, sorry to say.
Can't un-ring the bell, now.

I have 23,000 trouble free miles on a stock 2011 LS7. Very little valve noise at about 1,700 rpm. Been like that since the day I brought it home brand new...Started the car today and notice a loud ticking noise and when i started to accelerate, there was a slight surge. and stumble.Turned the car around and right back into garage. Does this seem like the dreaded valy guide issue? Would driving it cause a rod through the block?
Could be anything as others have stated; however, guessing if a catastrophic failure re valve(s)?
It'd have seized-up right then & there w/ oil/coolant everywhere underneath via hole in block.

Do NOT attempt starting & get it inspected post haste, might've got lucky if only a spring etc.

Crossofiron (11-11-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 01:33 PM
Crossofiron
Drifting

Default Going to have it flatbeded to Heritage tomorrow

Thanks for all the advice. I had hoped that I would not get screwed from a discussion with the Bowling Green Plant Manager at a Corvette Corral function at a ALMS race at Laguna Seca about 5 years ago where he told me that the "bad heads" did not affect the 2011 year. Same thing that I heard from a variety of other so called experts. from the dealership to some folks here on the Forum.

I will know what the real issue is after I get it torn down by American Heritage. Lucky for me they are only 45 miles away!
Landru (11-12-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 03:01 PM
G8Pumpkin
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I have a 2011 and about 27,000 miles just in the process of doing the heads there where a bunch of guides out of spec. Cam was also just starting to go so new cam as well. Sent my intake valves back to Del West to have them super finished which is a no charge item by the way all where good so did not need to buy any new intakes. Replaced exhausts with Ferrera hollow stem exhausts. Cam is crap surface hardening just starting to go and its not straight so have replaced that with a Cam Motion with there highest quality core material, also from what I have seen in mine the cam goes first then takes out the lifters then you lose the motor some feel the lifters go first but its hard to diagnose an engine post mortem that has had major destruction, in my case I was lucky to be able to witness first hand the cam was going first most lifters where still good but have replaced them with much better Johnson slow leak down ones. Also the cam chain had so much stretch in it check yours carefully. Should have the heads back from the machine shop next week so I can finish reassembly. Highly recommend you put in better pushrods the stock GM ones are junk I have some that are .032 out of column, also do some kind of rocker bearing upgrade.

Last edited by G8Pumpkin; 11-11-2018 at 03:07 PM.
Crossofiron (11-11-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 10:54 PM
OneMeanZ
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by G8Pumpkin
I have a 2011 and about 27,000 miles just in the process of doing the heads there where a bunch of guides out of spec. Cam was also just starting to go so new cam as well.
I'm going to be pulling the heads soon and my 39k mile Z06, whats the best way to check the cam? Pull the lifters and look for scoring?

Last edited by OneMeanZ; 11-11-2018 at 10:54 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:35 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,090 Likes on 574 Posts

Thanks for all the advice. I had hoped that I would not get screwed from a discussion with the Bowling Green Plant Manager at a Corvette Corral function at a ALMS race at Laguna Seca about 5 years ago where he told me that the "bad heads" did not affect the 2011 year. Same thing that I heard from a variety of other so called experts. from the dealership to some folks here on the Forum.

I will know what the real issue is after I get it torn down by American Heritage. Lucky for me they are only 45 miles away!
He's just regurgitating GM's official lie. Being a GM employee he has to repeat the falsehood … or join the ranks of the unemployed.

Landru (11-12-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 09:05 AM
G8Pumpkin
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by OneMeanZ
I'm going to be pulling the heads soon and my 39k mile Z06, whats the best way to check the cam? Pull the lifters and look for scoring?
Yes just take out the lifters and look at the cam carefully if there is any sign of the case hardening starting to wear replace the cam. At this point also change the timing chain I used the c5r race chain if I had to do it again would look into a Cloyes double roller but do not know if there are clearance issues somebody will know what fits that is better than stock as it is obviously not good enough judging by the slop in mine so there was no hope of it giving accurate cam timing. The cam can be removed without taking the engine out but it still is a lot of work. Search ytube for videos, the steering rack does not have to be completely removed from the car, slide it over to the passenger side far enough to get clearance. Also if you are this far into it I replace the crank damper with a middle of the road Power Bond unit or you can go all out for an ATI one, when I inspected mine carefully on the back side the rubber was starting to crack the old damper still ran true but when you have put this much effort into getting this far another few hundred is well spent as I wouldnt want to tear it apart again. I spent a lot of time with an air hose cleaning from the back side the air conditioning condenser as there was lots of crap in it which also impedes air flow to the rad as it sits in front of the rad.

Last edited by G8Pumpkin; 11-12-2018 at 09:13 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:46 AM
BRISLS1
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '14,’19

You guys stop the car and send it to the shop for making a sewing machine sound? If I did that, my car would have the same 180 miles on it that it came with. My car has never had a quiet valve train.

Off topic, can I get a refresher on the mechanics of dropped valve? If it slips off the rocker, shouldn't the spring keep it out of the cylinder permanently? The valve enters the head against its will, right?

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Oh shit value guide issue?!

Old 11-12-2018, 11:28 AM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Too-Fast
Original owner of a "trouble free" stock Z07 with 3000 miles on it in March/April of this year, checked the heads and had bad guides. AHP replacement heads via a GMPP warranty.
That's the best of both worlds in the LS7 community, at least. My aftermarket warranty would not help me out with my heads. Getting your heads fixed the right way at AHP and having a warranty pick up the tab. Most warranties won't cover you unless you have first experienced a failure, which at that point, is more than the warranty I had would even cover. Always helps if you have a top notch and experienced LS7 shop to help you out, as AHP is and does.

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
If its loud and stumbling you could already have had a failure I wouldnt even start it. You can pull plugs and stick a borescope in ea cyl if youre curious..
The whole head issue...what a black eye for GM.
I really don't think GM has a conscience, they are not ashamed of anything.

Originally Posted by Les
It could also be a cam lobe starting to go. That's not exactly uncommon. I've had that happen in addition to two head replacements due to excessive valve guide wear. If you find guide wear and have the heads gone through, be sure to have the cam looked over while things are opened up. Good luck.
I saw it on more than one occasion on this forum before I did my heads, and that was the main reason I decided to do a cam swap while I had my heads out. Even if it were comparable specs, only to just get a higher quality camshaft (and better lifters.)

I have a 2011 and about 27,000 miles just in the process of doing the heads there where a bunch of guides out of spec. Cam was also just starting to go so new cam as well. Sent my intake valves back to Del West to have them super finished which is a no charge item by the way all where good so did not need to buy any new intakes. Replaced exhausts with Ferrera hollow stem exhausts. Cam is crap surface hardening just starting to go and its not straight so have replaced that with a Cam Motion with there highest quality core material, also from what I have seen in mine the cam goes first then takes out the lifters then you lose the motor some feel the lifters go first but its hard to diagnose an engine post mortem that has had major destruction, in my case I was lucky to be able to witness first hand the cam was going first most lifters where still good but have replaced them with much better Johnson slow leak down ones. Also the cam chain had so much stretch in it check yours carefully. Should have the heads back from the machine shop next week so I can finish reassembly. Highly recommend you put in better pushrods the stock GM ones are junk I have some that are .032 out of column, also do some kind of rocker bearing upgrade.
The 8620 carburized nickel-chromium-Molybdenum core camshaft used to be something you'd only see in a top fuel dragster or something, but in the LS7 for $50 more, the peace of mind is well worth it. Johnson 2110 SLR lifters are well worth the extra coin as well, considering that you have to remove the cylinder heads to swap lifters in LS motors.

Yes just take out the lifters and look at the cam carefully if there is any sign of the case hardening starting to wear replace the cam. At this point also change the timing chain I used the c5r race chain if I had to do it again would look into a Cloyes double roller but do not know if there are clearance issues somebody will know what fits that is better than stock as it is obviously not good enough judging by the slop in mine so there was no hope of it giving accurate cam timing. The cam can be removed without taking the engine out but it still is a lot of work. Search ytube for videos, the steering rack does not have to be completely removed from the car, slide it over to the passenger side far enough to get clearance. Also if you are this far into it I replace the crank damper with a middle of the road Power Bond unit or you can go all out for an ATI one, when I inspected mine carefully on the back side the rubber was starting to crack the old damper still ran true but when you have put this much effort into getting this far another few hundred is well spent as I wouldnt want to tear it apart again. I spent a lot of time with an air hose cleaning from the back side the air conditioning condenser as there was lots of crap in it which also impedes air flow to the rad as it sits in front of the rad.
I don't think you would have any issue with the C5-R timing chain assuming it's a genuine Katech chain. That chain is still used on tthe C7-R.

I agree on the balancer. As long as you already have it out, given the bad reputation for bad balancers in LS motors, I couldn't in good conscience put the OE one back on. The PowerBond Race Series balancer for the LS7 I would argue has a better reputation for durability than the ATI LS7 variant; there has been too many ATI LS7 failures on this forum. I'm sure ATI has whatever was wrong corrected by now, but I wouldn't spend more for the ATI balancer when the PB Race Series LS7 balancer (PB1503SS) is less expensive and a very high-quality part. (And it doesn't have to be re-built over time, which on a Corvette is a big deal given it's not easy swapping the balancer on these cars.)

Old 11-12-2018, 11:30 AM
Crossofiron
Drifting

Default Different sound this time

Value train always had a bit of clatter at 1700 rpms. That is normal. This time the sound was very different and and the car stumbled leaving driveway. Also way different. Something is wrong and rather than throw a rod and have to spend $14,000, worth it to me to have it towed to American Heritage.

Stay tuned as I will post the findings. Damn.
Landru (11-12-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 11:32 AM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by BRISLS1
You guys stop the car and send it to the shop for making a sewing machine sound? If I did that, my car would have the same 180 miles on it that it came with. My car has never had a quiet valve train.

Off topic, can I get a refresher on the mechanics of dropped valve? If it slips off the rocker, shouldn't the spring keep it out of the cylinder permanently? The valve enters the head against its will, right?

Thanks
The problem is when the head of the valve breaks off the stem and hits the piston, and subsequently proceeds to blow a hold in your engine block. See the attached write up by Jason at Katech.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Oh shit value guide issue?!