Sponsored by:

Fuel door lock?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 11:28 AM
FLEXjs
Le Mans Master

Received 661 Likes on 318 Posts
Default Fuel door lock?

Read a few posts about people have fuel door lock issues.

Went to get fuel yesterday for the first time and I was looking everywhere for the fuel door release button. There isn't one?

I just pushed on the fuel door and it popped open. Is there a proximity lock on it?

Last edited by FLEXjs; 11-11-2018 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:28 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by FLEXjs
Read a few posts about people have fuel door lock issues.

Went to get fuel yesterday for the first time and I was looking everywhere for the fuel door release button. There isn't one?

I just pushed on the fuel door and it popped open. Is there a proximity lock on it?
Based on driver's door lock/unlock status. It's in the manual
Old 11-11-2018, 11:31 AM
FLEXjs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Based on driver's door lock/unlock status. It's in the manual
Thanks. My car came from Quebec. The user manual is in French.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:32 AM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,425 Posts

There are two functions to the door. Just the normal open/close mechanism that is push to open, push to close. Then the lock which, as mentioned, locks/unlocks with the main doors. This lock is the one that can fail and then you can't open it to fill the gas tank.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:33 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Another tip, check to see if the doors are set to automatically lock or not, and if they are, make sure you pop the gas door open before the doors lock automatically, otherwise the fuel door will also be locked. When I get gas, I pop the gas door open before I shut the driver's door.

By default, the factory setting is set to not lock the doors automatically, which I didn't know until I had mine a few months. I assumed it was the same as with my C6 and that my doors were automatically locking whenever I walked away from the car. Imagine my horror when I found out that I had been parking my car and the doors weren't locking on me (a few times I went into the gym and left my wallet in the console too, I sure was lucky nobody checked to see if the doors were open!)
Old 11-11-2018, 11:41 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Thanks. My car came from Quebec. The user manual is in French.
Find your manual (in English) here

Old 11-11-2018, 11:46 AM
FLEXjs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Patman
I sure was lucky nobody checked to see if the doors were open!)
You did get lucky. There are people that routinely walk through our complex and check for unlocked cars and go through them and take anything of value. Although I try to always keep my car locked at night I have been burned several times over the last 12 years. Mostly I've just lost coins for the car wash and some personal items but one time they took my whole car wallet with the owners manual/service manual, registration and insurance and another time they got my dash cam. They must come through regularly because what are the odds that the few times I do forget to lock the car someone's gone through it?

Old 11-11-2018, 11:46 AM
FLEXjs
Le Mans Master

Awesome. Thank you.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:47 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Then again, it sometimes opens when you don't want it to
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (11-11-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 11:55 AM
Patman
Race Director

You did get lucky. There are people that routinely walk through our complex and check for unlocked cars and go through them and take anything of value. Although I try to always keep my car locked at night I have been burned several times over the last 12 years. Mostly I've just lost coins for the car wash and some personal items but one time they took my whole car wallet with the owners manual/service manual, registration and insurance and another time they got my dash cam. They must come through regularly because what are the odds that the few times I do forget to lock the car someone's gone through it?
That's scary! On the plus side, the C& has the type of unconventional door opening system that might just trip up those young punks that rifle through the vehicles.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:00 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Set Auto Lock and NEVER take the FOB out of your pocket and you're good to go
Old 11-11-2018, 12:18 PM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

You did get lucky. There are people that routinely walk through our complex and check for unlocked cars and go through them and take anything of value. Although I try to always keep my car locked at night I have been burned several times over the last 12 years.
Well that's nice of them to check the security of your cars... That brings up a good question: who parks their cars outdoors at home/work? I don't. I'm such a ***** with my car it's disgusting. Such a garage queen.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:59 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Set Auto Lock and NEVER take the FOB out of your pocket and you're good to go
I have read up on this issue as it is a issue of concern. From everything I have read, including the owner's manual, it would appear the best approach is to never use the auto locks. Set those to the off position setting which they are by default when you buy a new Corvette. If the door doesn't latch then the fuel door won't latch. A 3/8" plastic skrivet is also advised to install in the latch door to block the latch mechnaism.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:59 PM
Patman
Race Director

Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent
Well that's nice of them to check the security of your cars... That brings up a good question: who parks their cars outdoors at home/work? I don't. I'm such a ***** with my car it's disgusting. Such a garage queen.
I never leave mine parked outside at night, but it's parked outside all day at work. I'm definitely not comfortable leaving it outside at night, when we moved into our new house, we couldn't park our cars in the garage for the first couple of days because they just installed the sidewalks, so I ended up driving my C7 over to my in laws house and using their garage for a couple of days. Our new house is within a short walking distance of a police station, but I still think some criminals are brazen enough that they don't care about that, so I take no chances.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:17 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MMD

I have read up on this issue as it is a issue of concern. From everything I have read, including the owner's manual, it would appear the best approach is to never use the auto locks. Set those to the off position setting which they are by default when you buy a new Corvette. If the door doesn't latch then the fuel door won't latch. A 3/8" plastic skrivet is also advised to install in the latch door to block the latch mechnaism.
NEVER had a bit of problem with it for over 52K miles and over 4 years of use. Much ado about nothing......
Old 11-11-2018, 02:26 PM
MMD
Safety Car

NEVER had a bit of problem with it for over 52K miles and over 4 years of use. Much ado about nothing......
Disagree. All it takes is 1 time and if you are on a Road Trip somewhere you can be stranded. Can't believe GM would design a system such as this where this possibly exists. When I take delivery of my vehicle later this week I will have the latching mechanism removed.

Last edited by MMD; 11-11-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:40 PM
Mr. Wonderful
Le Mans Master

Location: Slower than a speeding bullet................ Fort Lauderdale, FL
Received 201 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD

Disagree. All it takes is 1 time and if you are on a Road Trip somewhere you can be stranded. Can't believe GM would design a system such as this where this possibly exists.
When I take delivery of my vehicle later this week I will have the latching mechanism removed.
That means that anyone can open your fuel door when you're away from your car.
Personally, I wouldn't do that, as you risk someone putting something in your tank.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel door lock?

Old 11-11-2018, 02:45 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MMD

Disagree. All it takes is 1 time and if you are on a Road Trip somewhere you can be stranded. Can't believe GM would design a system such as this where this possibly exists. When I take delivery of my vehicle later this week I will have the latching mechanism removed.
All it takes is one time of your engine dying to strand you. All it takes is one time to blow a tire to strand you. All it takes is one time for the main fuse to open to strand you

Seriously...life is too short. How many incidents of the fuel door not releasing have happened, any idea?
Old 11-11-2018, 03:03 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mr. Wonderful
That means that anyone can open your fuel door when you're away from your car.
Personally, I wouldn't do that, as you risk someone putting something in your tank.
I have owned many vehicles and I have never had one that had latching fuel door. It's not something I need now.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:14 PM
MMD
Safety Car

All it takes is one time of your engine dying to strand you. All it takes is one time to blow a tire to strand you. All it takes is one time for the main fuse to open to strand you

Seriously...life is too short. How many incidents of the fuel door not releasing have happened, any idea?
I have no control over an engine dying or having a tire blowout. I do have control over the fuel door locking me out and stranding me if I remove the latch mechanism. Thanks for reminding me over the fuse, I'll pickup a spare. Latching fuel doors do act wonky from time to time and have led to owners to being stranded. This has been reported on the forum. I plan on taking proactive measures to mitage risk such as the fuel door latch problem. Don't you think it strange that GM offers owners a means to access the vehicle compartment in the event the battery should die but does not offer a means to access the fuel door if the door latch gets hung up?

Quick Reply: Fuel door lock?