C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 Automatic.. "S" (Sport) Position Won't Work...

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 01:55 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default 06 Automatic.. "S" (Sport) Position Won't Work...

I'm an "old" Corvette guy and more correctly an "old Corvette" guy.. However, I've always had a later model for Corvette Club functions. I usually hang in the C1/C2 section.

My 06. LS2 Automatic. 34000 miles. Driven very little.

Yesterday, I took it out, and noticed that the "S" position has become non-functional, i.e., in the S position nothing comes up on the HUD.. and the paddle shifters won't work.

In messing with it...while driving.. ONE TIME.. the S started working. However, the next time I put it in D, then back to S, it had quit working again..

Any thoughts? A friend thought that it might be low battery charge, so I charged it up with no change..

Last edited by Chuck Gongloff; 11-12-2018 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:05 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Chuck Gongloff
I'm an "old" Corvette guy and more correctly an "old Corvette" guy.. However, I've always had a later model for Corvette Club functions. I usually hang in the C1/C2 section.

My 06. LS2 Automatic. 34000 miles. Driven very little.

Yesterday, I took it out, and noticed that the "S" position has become non-functional, i.e., in the S position nothing comes up on the HUD.. and the paddle shifters won't work.

In messing with it...while driving.. ONE TIME.. the S started working. However, the next time I put it in D, then back to S, it had quit working again..

Any thoughts? A friend thought that it might be low battery charge, so I charged it up with no change..
Check to see if your horn still works. If it doesn't then your clock spring has probably gone bad since the circuitry for the horn and paddle shifters all runs through it.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:20 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
Check to see if your horn still works. If it doesn't then your clock spring has probably gone bad since the circuitry for the horn and paddle shifters all runs through it.
Checked the horn, and it blows when pressing on the steering wheel.

Also blows when you close the door... a short "beep".

I do not know what the "clock spring" is.. The clock in my car is digital...
Old 11-12-2018, 04:54 PM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Checked the horn, and it blows when pressing on the steering wheel.

Also blows when you close the door... a short "beep".

I do not know what the "clock spring" is.. The clock in my car is digital...
The clock spring has nothing to do with a clock, it only describes the appearance of it since it resembles the wind up spring in a clock that powers the mechanism. The clock spring is the switch that senses a crash and activates the airbags.

You could try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes then reconnecting and re-indexing the windows (needs to be done every time battery is disconnected). This has successfully corrected several glitches with various systems in the car. I lost my cruise control last year and couldn't get it to work again no matter what I tried until the disconnect and it immediately started working again.

You can switch back and forth between automatic and manual shift in S mode by holding the upshift or + button for a couple of seconds. The next time you push the downshift button it will go into manual mode again. We had our car for 2 years and didn't know that until I saw it in the C6 Owners DVD since I didn't read that in the owners manual.

The following 3 users liked this post by Icecap:
gliderdriver (11-13-2018), jbripps (11-13-2018), owc6 (11-16-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 05:26 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Icecap

The clock spring has nothing to do with a clock, it only describes the appearance of it since it resembles the wind up spring in a clock that powers the mechanism. The clock spring is the switch that senses a crash and activates the airbags.

You could try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes then reconnecting and re-indexing the windows (needs to be done every time battery is disconnected). This has successfully corrected several glitches with various systems in the car. I lost my cruise control last year and couldn't get it to work again no matter what I tried until the disconnect and it immediately started working again.

You can switch back and forth between automatic and manual shift in S mode by holding the upshift or + button for a couple of seconds. The next time you push the downshift button it will go into manual mode again. We had our car for 2 years and didn't know that until I saw it in the C6 Owners DVD since I didn't read that in the owners manual.
I figured that the clock spring had nothing to do with the clock, but......................

I should also mention that the airbag light on the dash acted up...After starting the car, it stayed lit.... then would go off... then would come back on... etc. It's now been off for a day or more.. It seems to have returned to "normal".

I did have the battery out a few weeks ago... It went dead. Had it checked at AutoZone. Battery was still "good", so I recharged it with my big professional charger, and it's been fine since..

However...it was out of the car for 24 hours +/-... I can and will try disconnecting and reconnecting it and see what happens..

I did not know the "trick" of holding the + paddle.. I'll give it a try. I'll do some road testing tomorrow.

Thanks to all for the advice. I'm a fish out of water with these new Corvettes..
Old 11-12-2018, 06:27 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

I've read that several times and not sure I still quite get it, but it's new to me.

So if I'm in "S" and have used the paddles ('07) I can get back into auto mode without shifting to "D"?

To the OP: Although from what you've said, I still wouldn't rule out the battery (how "good" did they say it was?) do you have a scanner so you can check for any possible codes?
Old 11-12-2018, 07:11 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bruze

To the OP: Although from what you've said, I still wouldn't rule out the battery (how "good" did they say it was?) do you have a scanner so you can check for any possible codes?
It tested "GOOD" on their load tester. The battery is about 4 years old, and I usually keep it on a float charger, but I had been remiss for a week or more... Thus.. it was dead..in the sense it wouldn't crank the car...

I do not have a scanner, but might have access to one..

Tomorrow is road test day.. I'll try the battery disconnect/reconnect.. and take a drive and "mess" with the gear shift and paddles.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:53 PM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 421 Posts

Old 11-13-2018, 12:42 AM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze
I've read that several times and not sure I still quite get it, but it's new to me.

So if I'm in "S" and have used the paddles ('07) I can get back into auto mode without shifting to "D"?

I read through my owners manual several times but recently watched this video. Someone recorded the DVD that came with the cars new onto a YouTube video. In the power train section of this video they explain how to get the transmission back into Automatic Shift mode without having to shift it out of Sport mode. I haven't had a chance to try it yet since our car is in winter storage already.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:53 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

I read through my owners manual several times but recently watched this video. Someone recorded the DVD that came with the cars new onto a YouTube video. In the power train section of this video they explain how to get the transmission back into Automatic Shift mode without having to shift it out of Sport mode. I haven't had a chance to try it yet since our car is in winter storage already.
Thanks! I have that DVD somewhere. It came with my (used) car but was never opened, although I did watch it.

Mine is asleep for the winter also. I'll leave a note on the seat about all this so I'll remember to try it next spring. Sounds like something I'll use quite a bit!
Old 11-13-2018, 09:16 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I left the car on my 6 amp charger overnight. Disconnected the charger this morning... then disconnected the battery. Left it disconnected for ~45 minutes, then hooked it back up.

I took the car on a 20 mile drive. I tried everything... stopping..restarting the car... playing with the shift lever... playing with other "buttons" in the car.

Nothing............. S mode still doesn't work.

Voltmeter was reading 14.2 with fluctuations between 13.9 and 14.4 during my drive. Car ran great. As a side note, I'll mention that the airbag light went off after a few seconds... and stayed off.

I'm gonna try to find someone with a code reader. I'm into old Corvettes and old cars in general. So are most of my friends...

I'm probably going to end up taking it back to my local Chevy dealer, the one that sponsors my Corvette Club..

Any other thoughts or suggestions?
Old 11-13-2018, 09:17 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

The holding the + doesn't work on the 2006 model year to go back to Auto
Old 11-13-2018, 09:34 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mcandrew67
The holding the + doesn't work on the 2006 model year to go back to Auto
Aha, so it probably won't work on my '07 either . . . ? When was it they made changes to paddle shifting -- 2010? This makes more sense, that this little trick won't work on our early cars.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:41 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I've exhausted my bag of tricks. Found a 10 AMP fuse in the engine compartment labelled "Transmission Control Module/Transmission" . Pulled it. It was OK. Replaced it anyway.

I'm gonna disconnect the battery and let it sit overnight... and see if anything "resets"..

I've taken several trips around my neighborhood, and still no S mode...

Looks like a trip to my local dealer, Love Chevrolet in Inverness is on the agenda.

Old 11-13-2018, 03:11 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Hi,

In looking over the schematic for the paddle shifters, the power that goes to the clock spring/the paddles is from the 2A fuse for the Cruise SW circuit. That fuse is found in the passenger footwell under the floor board.
Hopefully, that fuse will fix the issue.
Good Luck

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 11-13-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:27 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 4SUMERZ
Hi,

In looking over the schematic for the paddle shifters, the power that goes to the clock spring/the paddles is from the 2A fuse for the Cruise SW circuit. That fuse is found in the passenger footwell under the floor board.
Hopefully, that fuse will fix the issue.
Good Luck
I can and will check that. Right now, I have the battery disconnected...

However, my problem is that the transmission will not go into S mode at all. Nothing shows on the DIC in the Heads Up Display.

Car runs fine in Drive.

When the S mode was working, the paddle shifters worked fine.. Now, of course, since it will not go into S mode.. the paddles are non-functional.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:29 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

I've exhausted my bag of tricks. Found a 10 AMP fuse in the engine compartment labelled "Transmission Control Module/Transmission" . Pulled it. It was OK. Replaced it anyway.

I'm gonna disconnect the battery and let it sit overnight... and see if anything "resets"..

I've taken several trips around my neighborhood, and still no S mode...

Looks like a trip to my local dealer, Love Chevrolet in Inverness is on the agenda.
Even if 4SUMERZ suggestion doesn't pan out, I would still stick here and let these guys fish through it rather than going to a dealer. CF members will eventually find the problem and it won't cost you a dime.

Get notified of new replies

To 06 Automatic.. "S" (Sport) Position Won't Work...

Old 11-13-2018, 03:47 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I can and will check that. Right now, I have the battery disconnected...

However, my problem is that the transmission will not go into S mode at all. Nothing shows on the DIC in the Heads Up Display.

Car runs fine in Drive.

When the S mode was working, the paddle shifters worked fine.. Now, of course, since it will not go into S mode.. the paddles are non-functional.
OHHHH, your transmission gear shifter will not go into S mode, only Drive. That changes the outlook of the issue.
I'm betting that:
1) your shifter cable bushing might be worn on either the shifter end, or transmission end, and not allowing the cable to extend and get to the S position.
2) Have you had issues with getting your shifter out of or back into Park? If so, then your shifter locking pawl is not fully releasing, thus that will prevent the shifter to get to the S position.

Let us know

Old 11-13-2018, 05:00 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 4SUMERZ
OHHHH, your transmission gear shifter will not go into S mode, only Drive. That changes the outlook of the issue.
I'm betting that:
1) your shifter cable bushing might be worn on either the shifter end, or transmission end, and not allowing the cable to extend and get to the S position.
2) Have you had issues with getting your shifter out of or back into Park? If so, then your shifter locking pawl is not fully releasing, thus that will prevent the shifter to get to the S position.

Let us know

Hmmmm. Interesting on two fronts.

1. Years ago, the shifter wouldn't come out of park. I had to "do the drill", going into ACC mode, etc. Finally got disgusted and did the old CF trick... I loosened the console and cut the "hook" off of the end of the shifter mechanism. SO........... the car will not "lock" in PARK. It's been that way for years... during which time the S mode worked.

2. About 1.5 years ago.... in my garage... the trans cable "broke". Was actually one end of it, but.................. I jacked up the car, and along with the help of some friends, put it into Neutral and pushed the car out of the garage. Jacked it up again...started it... and a "bud" pushed it into DRIVE. I had pre-arranged my arrival at Love Chevrolet. Told them I'd be coming in "hot", and once I got there...I couldn't shift gears. Left the car at Love.

Got it back the next day. They installed a new cable. Went over and picked it up. Drove ~15 miles home...pulled into my driveway... put it in PARK... and when I tried to move it a minute later, the cable had popped off.

I called Love, and they sent a rollback this time. I had it back the same afternoon. The second repair and flatbed towing was on their dime.

I've had no troubles since...

Thoughts?
Old 11-13-2018, 05:16 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Hmmmm. Interesting on two fronts.

1. Years ago, the shifter wouldn't come out of park. I had to "do the drill", going into ACC mode, etc. Finally got disgusted and did the old CF trick... I loosened the console and cut the "hook" off of the end of the shifter mechanism. SO........... the car will not "lock" in PARK. It's been that way for years... during which time the S mode worked.

2. About 1.5 years ago.... in my garage... the trans cable "broke". Was actually one end of it, but.................. I jacked up the car, and along with the help of some friends, put it into Neutral and pushed the car out of the garage. Jacked it up again...started it... and a "bud" pushed it into DRIVE. I had pre-arranged my arrival at Love Chevrolet. Told them I'd be coming in "hot", and once I got there...I couldn't shift gears. Left the car at Love.

Got it back the next day. They installed a new cable. Went over and picked it up. Drove ~15 miles home...pulled into my driveway... put it in PARK... and when I tried to move it a minute later, the cable had popped off.

I called Love, and they sent a rollback this time. I had it back the same afternoon. The second repair and flatbed towing was on their dime.

I've had no troubles since...

Thoughts?
Sounds like they never adjusted the new cable properly.

Quick Reply: 06 Automatic.. "S" (Sport) Position Won't Work...