C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Tint Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 09:08 PM
Checkered Past
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Window Tint Question

Hey guys,
I have been reading the forum threads about window tinting a C6. I have not really found the answers to a few questions I have. First I have been to three different tint shops. All three did suggest getting ceramic due to quality, UV protection and color retention. My question is they all seem to do the back window different. One said they would sand the dots with 2000 grit paper, one said they all bubble and it is a crap shoot if it does not. One had issues with the rear window defogger. I am really picky and will pay extra to have it perfect. Any thoughts or suggestions? I went to nice places that were tinting high end cars but none have the PITA rear coupe glass lol.. If anyone has a tint shop they would suggest that does excellent work please let me know. I am in Ohio but would travel a couple hours in any direction to not have any issues with that rear window.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:21 PM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,314 Likes on 886 Posts

I have not found any tint shop that will take the time to do the tint on the dot matrix part of the glass correctly. So when I got to get tint, I think I will just have the doors tinted in a very light tint and not have the back glass done.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:35 PM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

Pick the shop with the best reputation & experience. My rear window tint (quality & install knowledge) is in great condition, but I sought the best materials & labor.

Last edited by S.C. vette; 11-13-2018 at 09:38 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:53 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,821 Likes on 4,243 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

I called a very good shop near me who has done 4 of my previous cars, and who does a lot of exotics. They flat out told me they can’t do the rear window and have it not come up around the dots. I then contacted another highly recommended shop & they use a piece of black vinyl over the dots & then tint the rest.

I honestly don’t know the best way to do it. My current tint is bubbled around the dots at the top, hardly noticeable but noticeable by me.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:58 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

I’ve seen a bunch of hatch tint jobs, some ok and some good. The matrix dots are just hard to deal with. My guy did as well as I expected but I’ve never seen a perfect job.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:03 PM
MrDoll05C6
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
I’ve seen a bunch of hatch tint jobs, some ok and some good. The matrix dots are just hard to deal with. My guy did as well as I expected but I’ve never seen a perfect job.
I feel exactly the same. I am happy that my “guy” was able to do the rear in one piece. We talked about it before hand, he said sometimes he is able to sometimes not. He took 2 attempts and nailed it on the 2nd. I’ve used this guy for 20 years now on multiple vehicles. Gotta have tint
Old 11-13-2018, 10:04 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,821 Likes on 4,243 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by saplumr
The rear on my old ‘99 Camaro SS was perfect & iirc the guy used some kind of extra strength glue, heat, and really took the time to get it down around all the dots. I remember it costing a bit more than my other tint jobs but it was as close to perfect as you can get.

That was almost 19 years ago & you’d think someone would’ve come up with a tried & true method, or GM would stop with the dot matrix by now.

Last edited by JABCAT; 11-13-2018 at 10:11 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:31 PM
Boostedsvt
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

My guy hear shrinks it before he puts it on. It may be that all good window tinters do this, I’m not sure. I’ve had one guy for the past 15 years or so. He never lets me down. This time I believe he did go a little dark on the windshield though....
Old 11-13-2018, 10:40 PM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

28% all round

Old 11-13-2018, 11:48 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I choose a reputable OKC shop and they did an awful job on the back glass. When I complained he said that was the best he could do. So when someone asked my about the crummy job, I tell them who did it.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:49 PM
MrDoll05C6
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Boostedsvt
My guy hear shrinks it before he puts it on. It may be that all good window tinters do this, I’m not sure. I’ve had one guy for the past 15 years or so. He never lets me down. This time I believe he did go a little dark on the windshield though....
as long as you can see well enough to be safe... it looks great.
I plan to have my windshield down this winter. I’ll be doing 35%.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:57 AM
Boostedsvt
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by MrDoll05C6

as long as you can see well enough to be safe... it looks great.
I plan to have my windshield down this winter. I’ll be doing 35%.
Seeing is no problem. He usually does 50% on my windshields and 15% everywhere else. It’s no darker looking out than my Honda at 50% but I did mention to him that the back didn’t seem dark enough so I could see him possibly sliding something in a little darker to not have to do the rear again! I’m pleased with it either way and won’t ever own another car without the windshield done. For years he tried to talk me into it and I was too nervous to but once I got the first one done that was it....
Old 11-14-2018, 07:01 AM
Checkered Past
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I appreciate all the comments. Its getting cold here in Ohio so I will wait until spring to do anything with the tint. Just thought I would get some feedback so I can figure out what I am going to do,. Anyone have any pictures around the dots so I can see what everyone says looks good vs looks bad. I guess that would help me out as well. Anyone on here use any tint shops in Columbus, Dayton, or Cincinnati Ohio?
Old 11-14-2018, 09:10 AM
RichKiss
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

You need to find a good place that uses quality material. Its not about the reviews its more about the material being used. The material is what has the adhesive in it. Junk tint comes loose, fades or bubbles because of cheap, junk material. You get what you pay for.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:39 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I suppose I'm in the minority of people here, but I really don't like tinted glass. Not any more than is done at the factory anyway. I especially find it difficult backing in darkness to actually see where you're going. Between the visibility already being low, the tint on the windows and tinted mirrors, and the relative lack of backup lighting, I simply can't see to my satisfaction. And I want all the visibility I can get. Ymmv... and obviously does here.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:59 AM
mittens
Melting Slicks

Received 362 Likes on 203 Posts

Everything I have is tinted. and dark. For referece the White C7 in my avatar is 15% on side and back and 35% on whole front. that's also same set I have now on my Red C6Z,

my GMC truck is 35% front, 15 Driver sides, and 20 on top of factory rear doors and back.

That being said you need to find a better tint guy... I have had many C6s done and I have seen them heat it to shape it, and also seen them cut the tint, and line it up on the defront lines and you CAN NOT TELL even in side looking out trying to find it.

also the dot matrix I always pay the 25 bucks for the black out kit,,, so they basicly tint that with black vinyl, and tint the car normally, which leaves you a perfectly blacked out dot matix, no bubbles, or clean spots, and perfect tint.

Last edited by mittens; 11-14-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:30 AM
koreanbeefcake
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mittens
Everything I have is tinted. and dark. For referece the White C7 in my avatar is 15% on side and back and 35% on whole front. that's also same set I have now on my Red C6Z,

my GMC truck is 35% front, 15 Driver sides, and 20 on top of factory rear doors and back.

That being said you need to find a better tint guy... I have had many C6s done and I have seen them heat it to shape it, and also seen them cut the tint, and line it up on the defront lines and you CAN NOT TELL even in side looking out trying to find it.

also the dot matrix I always pay the 25 bucks for the black out kit,,, so they basicly tint that with black vinyl, and tint the car normally, which leaves you a perfectly blacked out dot matix, no bubbles, or clean spots, and perfect tint.
cool to see another owner from the same area. I have only seen 2 white c7's around. One lives near me in Decatur.

You may have to travel for a good tint shop. There is a few here, but they mostly do trucks. I typically check in with places like Atlanta and Nashville.

Get notified of new replies

To Window Tint Question

Old 11-14-2018, 11:36 AM
mittens
Melting Slicks

Received 362 Likes on 203 Posts

[left]One day in Huntsville, Yohan is the owner/ younger guy 30ish... his parents owned it when I was growing up... he has won first place in vegas at compatitions... bad ***....

the white C7 was the only cammed C7 around, and I sold it last month, it went to Atlanta.. In a red C6Z now.

Last edited by mittens; 11-14-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:41 AM
koreanbeefcake
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

^^ I had 1-day redo the tint on my SI and a windshield strip on my wrx. I was happy with them and their prices.

diggin the Z. maybe i'll see you around some day.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:23 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by Boostedsvt
Is that windshield tint actually leagle in your state??

Quick Reply: Window Tint Question