C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What kind of exhaust is this? Thinking about changing.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 12:07 PM
Ruger72
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What kind of exhaust is this? Thinking about changing.

Hey everyone, I purchased this 89 in May and it came with this exhaust on it. What is it? I know that obviously the mufflers have been removed and looks like the tips are the mufflers. I don't like the ugly piping under the back end. It looks like its original piping with just a section of new pipe with the tips installed. I was thinking of just using it but now I am thinking different. I know that Corsa is the best for no drone and for sound, but it is sooo expensive. Will there be a gain using a new cat back system vs what I have here? Also what about a different brand other than Corsa? Thank you as always for any input and direction. Love this Forum!

Last edited by Ruger72; 11-14-2018 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:17 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

performance gain doubtful, just sound. Stock turbo type mufflers are the quietest .

Last edited by cv67; 11-14-2018 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:18 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

Do you like the way it sounds? You could drop the system, paint the ugly rusted pipe black with high temp black BBQ rustoleum paint, and use stainless steel band clamps instead of those ugly *** muffler clamps and it would clean it up visually. If you like the way it sounds, that is what I would do since all you are going to spend is $10 on paint and $15-20 on stainless clamps that don't look like ****.

In terms of performance, is your car stock?
Old 11-14-2018, 12:28 PM
Ruger72
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, car is stock with 31K on it. Just an open box air intake and K&N.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:46 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruger72
Yes, car is stock with 31K on it. Just an open box air intake and K&N.
It's up to you then. Most of what you want to do with any car is how much money do you have and how willing are you to let it disappear Lol

Stock application I don't think you are going to see much if any power gain from an aftermarket system unless you go full on Long tube headers into aftermarket system. Cat-back is pretty much just sound/appearance.

Old 11-14-2018, 12:59 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

That's a KBD style muffler eliminator. Performance gain nil by replacing.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:47 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Will there be a gain using a new cat back system vs what I have here?

Nope, as mentioned above, you will not get anything performance from your cat back.

Now, for the "best set up, bang for the buck" you will need to remove (cut and weld in new pipes) the pre-cats, swap out the factory cat for a high -perf cat and use the mufflers of your choice. I'd stick with a stock dual outlet, as it will sound great and not drone,

I have done this exact combo and you will really wake up your engine. Your "choke point" on your current exhaust is the pre-cats, then the factory cat. Mufflers are for.... muffeling.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:00 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 875 Posts

It is all about the noise and the level you will tolerate while driving your Corvette. I have two Corvettes and they both have Chambered Exhaust systems on them. The chambered exhaust is really nice as it too has no mufflers and weighed considerably less than a normal exhaust system.
A Chambered system uses baffles inside the pipes to quiet it down a little bit, I don't have any noticeable drone while driving my C4 with the Cat-back Chambered system. When I did the swap I installed a High Flow Catalytic Converter (Summit Racing) and the new exhaust system. I used my GTECH Pro to see if there was any difference "before" and "after" the installation. I was able to gain close to 14 hp according to the GTECH after the installation and I think most of the increase was because of the new catalytic converter, not the exhaust system.

I have been happy with the chambered exhaust because I wanted the standard Side-pipe exhaust (music) but without burnt legs as I get a similar sound but it comes out the rear of the Corvette. My two systems were made of aluminized steel and the older system has been on my C3 for over 25 years and still going strong. I love the sound, my neighbors like peace and quiet so I drive in and out of my neighborhood quietly. If you live near others they might not like the music your car makes without mufflers. I think they look better without those big bulky mufflers on the C3 and the C4.

Unfortunately, more Noise does not mean more Power.

Those pipes that are rusting can be made to look just fine with a can of silver, black or aluminum High temperature paint. I have removed the spare tire holder from my car as I think it is butt ugly and fairly useless on these cars. If you decide to go back to mufflers you still have 95% of the original system there it appears. I wish you the very best in deciding which way to go from here.

That is beautiful Corvette you have there, it is really nice of you to clean up the rear end for the Mustangs to appreciate!
Old 11-14-2018, 09:13 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

That is a standard Y pipe I have the same so I can switch between my muffler deletes and stock walker fx( WALKER 18417 SoundFX ). But you wint be able to switch easily with those clamps because they dent the metal(a muffler expander from Harbor Freight is handy). I use band clamps and can swap back and forth by wiggling them off/on.

Last edited by xrav22; 11-14-2018 at 09:17 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:43 AM
RetroGuy
Drifting

Received 506 Likes on 311 Posts

Once you find your choice exhaust, have the pipe connections welded. It'll look much cleaner than any clamps.

Get notified of new replies

To What kind of exhaust is this? Thinking about changing.

Quick Reply: What kind of exhaust is this? Thinking about changing.