Sponsored by:

2014 C7 with multiple issues - need assistance

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 07:45 PM
Canadian_l3acon
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2014 C7 with multiple issues - need assistance

Hey all, I am brand new to the forum and have owned my C7 for about 2 years now. The car ran great when I first purchased it used at 6,000 miles, no issues to speak of. End of last year at about 8,000 miles I noticed the gas gauge was starting to bobble on a full tank and eventually got a check engine light with the gauge reading 0 fuel. I purchased a code scanner and found it was the passenger side fuel sending unit. I read on the forums that often guys will run Techron through the fuel system to clear up any sediment that has built up on the sensors. So I reset the CEL, ran the Techron through 3-4 tanks and still no improvement. I took it into the dealer and they confirmed it was the fuel sending unit and would charge me $3,000 + to replace. I decided against getting it fixed then since the fuel gauge read somewhat accurate when the tank wasn't topped off. Now this week a new issue has cropped up, my "infotainment" system kept freezing up on the drive. I couldn't use any functions on the touch screen, the music that was playing from my phone stopped playing, and on the HUD when the audio tab was selected it said "Audio Off". Today I started the car up and the "infotainment" system screen was just black, nothing on it. None of the buttons seem to make a difference. I now have the (-) cable disconnected from the battery in hopes it will reset it. I know it is a far fetched thought, but could these two issues be linked?
Old 11-15-2018, 09:32 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Highly unlikely these 2 issues are related.

If off warranty start searching for a competent independent shop for all work.
Of course one familiar w/ Corvette & specifically C7.
Electronics are different but replacing fuel sending units essentially the same procedure as last generation -- a PITA w/ beaucoup labor.
IF having one replaced do 'em both.
A couple members replaced just one only to have the other go south shortly winding-up paying labor $ twice.
Resist making a penny-wise & dollar foolish decision w/ this one.

Last edited by Landru; 11-15-2018 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:35 AM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,937 Likes on 2,424 Posts

Are you storing your car during winter months? I ask because they recommend storing with 1/4 tank to prevent sulfur attacking the sending unit.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:48 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Surprised no one suggested that the OP check the battery as the car is 5 years old and he bought it used

Last edited by KenHorse; 11-15-2018 at 10:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Mike Mercury (11-15-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 12:55 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,953 Likes on 940 Posts

Check the battery as the car is 5 years old and you bought it used...(I just had too)...
The following 5 users liked this post by Mayor111:
beaversstonehaven (11-16-2018), FYREANT (11-16-2018), JDSC8VETTE (11-15-2018), Mike Mercury (11-15-2018), Quick99 (11-15-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 02:30 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Mayor111
Check the battery as the car is 5 years old and you bought it used...(I just had too)...
You beat me to it!
Old 11-15-2018, 04:49 PM
Canadian_l3acon
3rd Gear

Thanks for the input! I am pretty sure I have been storing it with a near full tank over the winter months. Last winter I had the Techron in with the gas during storage in order to give it more time to do its work.

I can do a test on the battery later tonight. There have been no other signs the battery is weak, but I will give it a shot.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:57 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Just remember that today's cars can have a 'weak battery' even though it seems to start the car OK.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:37 PM
jyetman
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Screen

Just had my nav screen replaced in my 2014, it's a known issue with 2014 could be your problem as well, search for nav screen flickering you will get a bunch of hits, best of luck
Old 11-15-2018, 11:23 PM
Canadian_l3acon
3rd Gear

I did a load test on my battery tonight and it came up slightly weak, not even halfway from good to bad, about 2/3 of the way. I decided to go ahead and replace the battery anyways since it seems to be on its way. On the way to the pick up the battery the head unit started working again, surprise, surprise! After installing the battery the head unit still is working, and the engine cranked over quite a bit stronger than before. I am crossing my fingers that the new battery solved it.

In regards to the fuel sending unit, I understand it is quite the headache to get to it to repair. Do you guys think it is a repair that should only be done at the Chevy dealer? Or would it be OK to find a smaller shop for a better price (I will make sure they are reputable)
Sylvrbak (11-16-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 11:29 PM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,937 Likes on 2,424 Posts

Originally Posted by Canadian_l3acon

In regards to the fuel sending unit, I understand it is quite the headache to get to it to repair. Do you guys think it is a repair that should only be done at the Chevy dealer? Or would it be OK to find a smaller shop for a better price (I will make sure they are reputable)
Whether it's a dealer or another shop just make sure they've done it before. Can't assume a dealer knows what they're doing. They all need to have their references checked.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:09 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Well, another '14 with the fuel sender issue. Surprise, surprise. You didn't say, but I'm assuming the code was P2066?

Mine is **** up more often than it's not, and I have lost track of how many bottles of Techron I've used. Ten? a dozen? more? A lot is all I know, but they haven't fixed it permanently.

That said, I probably won't be dropping the rear end to the tune of $3000 + on a car over 100,000 miles. I just use the trip odo (reset when filling), because the mpg still is accurate, and believe or not, the My Chevrolet app can still read the range, even though the DIC won't display it (it reads "---"). I have no idea where the app is getting it's info, but it's accurate.

If you have the app set up, check to see if it's working for you' if you don't, then it may be worth getting the basic OnStar subscription to get the app. It may be cheaper than dropping the rear end over the long haul.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
beaversstonehaven (11-16-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 06:46 AM
eseibel67
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
Well, another '14 with the fuel sender issue. Surprise, surprise. You didn't say, but I'm assuming the code was P2066?

Mine is **** up more often than it's not, and I have lost track of how many bottles of Techron I've used. Ten? a dozen? more? A lot is all I know, but they haven't fixed it permanently.

That said, I probably won't be dropping the rear end to the tune of $3000 + on a car over 100,000 miles. I just use the trip odo (reset when filling), because the mpg still is accurate, and believe or not, the My Chevrolet app can still read the range, even though the DIC won't display it (it reads "---"). I have no idea where the app is getting it's info, but it's accurate.

If you have the app set up, check to see if it's working for you' if you don't, then it may be worth getting the basic OnStar subscription to get the app. It may be cheaper than dropping the rear end over the long haul.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
^ This is strange. I dont know anything about how this works but Onstar gets the info from the car and the car doesnt know how much fuel it has. My only guess is that the sensor is working well enough that it can sense a fill-up and the range is a roughly calculated estimate based on mileage.

Last edited by eseibel67; 11-16-2018 at 06:47 AM.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:29 AM
shakinrock
Pro

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Canadian_l3acon
Hey all, I am brand new to the forum and have owned my C7 for about 2 years now. The car ran great when I first purchased it used at 6,000 miles, no issues to speak of. End of last year at about 8,000 miles I noticed the gas gauge was starting to bobble on a full tank and eventually got a check engine light with the gauge reading 0 fuel. I purchased a code scanner and found it was the passenger side fuel sending unit. I read on the forums that often guys will run Techron through the fuel system to clear up any sediment that has built up on the sensors. So I reset the CEL, ran the Techron through 3-4 tanks and still no improvement. I took it into the dealer and they confirmed it was the fuel sending unit and would charge me $3,000 + to replace. I decided against getting it fixed then since the fuel gauge read somewhat accurate when the tank wasn't topped off. Now this week a new issue has cropped up, my "infotainment" system kept freezing up on the drive. I couldn't use any functions on the touch screen, the music that was playing from my phone stopped playing, and on the HUD when the audio tab was selected it said "Audio Off". Today I started the car up and the "infotainment" system screen was just black, nothing on it. None of the buttons seem to make a difference. I now have the (-) cable disconnected from the battery in hopes it will reset it. I know it is a far fetched thought, but could these two issues be linked?
A few comments here.

First with my C6 had the same issue. That had a M6 which apparently is more labor intensive to drop the gas tanks. Saying that I had my repaired for about $1200 at a large dealer in the Atlanta area. I did constructively complain and maybe I got some good will.

Second. you need to get the techron in the passenger side tank. This means you need to add the techron when the fuel level is below 1/2. I would try that unless you are sure you already tried that scenario.

I have a '15 with a M7. Guess I best start a periodic regimen of techron (like at every oil change).
Red86Cfour (11-16-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 08:34 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

OP, where are you located?
Old 11-16-2018, 08:17 PM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,113 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by shakinrock
A few comments here.

First with my C6 had the same issue. That had a M6 which apparently is more labor intensive to drop the gas tanks. Saying that I had my repaired for about $1200 at a large dealer in the Atlanta area. I did constructively complain and maybe I got some good will.

Second. you need to get the techron in the passenger side tank. This means you need to add the techron when the fuel level is below 1/2. I would try that unless you are sure you already tried that scenario.

I have a '15 with a M7. Guess I best start a periodic regimen of techron (like at every oil change).
I have a 2015 and have been using techron after every oil change. That being said, today I filled up and thought my tank was full and after checking the fuel gage noticed it was showing 3/4's of a tank. When I cranked my car again, it still showed 3/4's of a tank and my check engine light came on and has stayed on. Will go to the dealer 11-19-18 and let them check it out. Good to have a GM extended warranty.

Get notified of new replies

To 2014 C7 with multiple issues - need assistance

Quick Reply: 2014 C7 with multiple issues - need assistance