Sponsored by:

FAN Suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 10:50 PM
ZAKsPop
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 101 Posts

Default FAN Suggestion

My car has a flex fan and I watched a video saying that a flex fan is the worse fan, especially when adding A/C. I'm getting a new A/C system and was wondering if any of you could suggest a good electric fan....
Old 11-14-2018, 11:09 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by ZAKsPop
My car has a flex fan and I watched a video saying that a flex fan is the worse fan, especially when adding A/C. I'm getting a new A/C system and was wondering if any of you could suggest a good electric fan....
Dual Spal fans from Dewitts with their shroud or a Lincoln MKVIII fan from a 93'-98' Lincoln. Both of these will cool plenty well. I have the Lincoln fan and it is a beast. I never see over 190* in summer time idling with the AC on forever. You'll need an alternator upgrade for sure with the Lincoln fan though.
The following users liked this post:
ZAKsPop (11-15-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 12:17 AM
ZAKsPop
Drifting

Is this it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-1998-L...5440:rk:1:pf:0
Old 11-15-2018, 03:45 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Yep. Thats it.

You’ll just cut the mounting brackets off of the side of it flush, then make some top/bottom mount brackets. It fits the radiator perfect. Just run it on high speed. The fan is bad ***. Make sure you have at least a 100 amp alternator. I use a CS144 style alternator off of 92-96 corvette/Impala LT1 and it easily supports all of the electric needs at idle.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:46 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Also you need a 50-75 amp relay and circuit breaker. I use a Bosch 75 amp and 8 gauge wiring to the fan. It works great, very reliable and lasts forever.

Here is everything you need to know, with pics:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-install.html

Last edited by ajrothm; 11-15-2018 at 03:50 AM.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:03 AM
Rodnok1
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Ford Focus fans are dirt cheap and plentiful, you could wire up the controller also. Believe there's a thread here on how to.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:07 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

I have a thread in tech there is lot of misconception but the true mk fans were not two speed both rather single speed which was controlled by a computer on the mk for variable speeds,
The cougar, t bird etc had the mk shroud and the Taurus true two speed motor, when sold aftermarket they get all mixed up but last i looked a true mk single speed fan is not sold aftermarket, only used replacments out there.
This 2 speeds works well for hot rodders so we can have low and high, many report high seldom comes on,
While i did shell out the c note yet Dakota digital has a sweet controller, it runs off the cars temp gauge and you can set low and high to come on and off right when you desire, it sends the signal to your relay so that pretty sweet too,
Any of the ford fans put out far more cfm at a 3rd the cost than the dual 11 spals which even the spals website recommend it for v6s and small mild v8s.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:05 PM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 844 Posts

Dear Zakspop;

I agree that a flex fan (oh so 80's!) is a POS....voted 'most likely to shed a blade into space' by hot-rodders worldwide.

I have done this procedure a number of times. You have to make a few decisions;
1. Electric Fans ONLY
2. Electric Aux fan
3. Big block 7 blade fan with Medium duty or heavy duty fan clutch.

I own both #2 and # 3
The 69 has the big block mega fan set up....it has the heavy duty fan clutch (IE locks up at a lower temperature than the medium duty) and the 7 blade BB fan.
You can mix and match....such as 5 blade fan and medium duty clutch....depends on your cooling needs.

The 82 CE has had a 'Cold Case' Alum rad. installed with the ORIGINAL 82 Chevy aux fan and a big block HD fan clutch on the Orig 5 bladed fan. I added an override switch to the aux fan for comfort, but never have needed to use it yet. PLEASE NOTE: I've been restoring C-3's for over 40 years...90% of cars that I come across have almost NO foam radiator seals left, nor the top of the core support seals....they are long gone! There are kits available cheaply to renew this CRITICAL part in the cooling process. EVERY MOLECULE OF AIR that bypasses the radiator core is of no use to you!

Bottom -line is the Chevy 5 and or 7 blade fans are bulletproof and they WORK....downside is fan noise. Upside is THEY WORK EVERY TIME and are not subject to fan switch or fuse failure.

Good luck 'Pops' from UnkaHal

Last edited by L-46man; 11-15-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:49 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

I agree with 13Bats. Lincoln Mark VIII fans are single speed. I actually bought one NEW when they were still available. From my research all the other so-called 2-speed fans that are called "Mark-8 fans" are NOT Lincoln Mark 8 Fans. I have looked and cannot seem to find a 98 Lincoln Mark VIII fan new anywhere anymore.
The Taurus/T-bird/whatever 2-speed fans are probably ok, but not really Mark VIII fans.

Originally Posted by The13Bats
I have a thread in tech there is lot of misconception but the true mk fans were not two speed both rather single speed which was controlled by a computer on the mk for variable speeds,
The cougar, t bird etc had the mk shroud and the Taurus true two speed motor, when sold aftermarket they get all mixed up but last i looked a true mk single speed fan is not sold aftermarket, only used replacments out there.
This 2 speeds works well for hot rodders so we can have low and high, many report high seldom comes on,
While i did shell out the c note yet Dakota digital has a sweet controller, it runs off the cars temp gauge and you can set low and high to come on and off right when you desire, it sends the signal to your relay so that pretty sweet too,
Any of the ford fans put out far more cfm at a 3rd the cost than the dual 11 spals which even the spals website recommend it for v6s and small mild v8s.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:34 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by carriljc
I agree with 13Bats. Lincoln Mark VIII fans are single speed. I actually bought one NEW when they were still available. From my research all the other so-called 2-speed fans that are called "Mark-8 fans" are NOT Lincoln Mark 8 Fans. I have looked and cannot seem to find a 98 Lincoln Mark VIII fan new anywhere anymore.
The Taurus/T-bird/whatever 2-speed fans are probably ok, but not really Mark VIII fans.
Yep, this is correct. True MKVIII fans are really one speed. Ford used PWM to control the speed on them, the fan itself, although does have two power wires, runs at the same speed with either wire. The Taurus fans are 2 spd, but have different blade design and don't pull air like the Lincoln MKVIII fan.

The one on Ebay that the OP posted is a true Lincoln fan, and for $130 I'd jump on it. I'm sure the other fans will work fine as well but...the Lincoln MKVIII fan is the most proven fan out there. I have two of them....they last forever and do a damn good job, better then any other fan combo I have tried...Including $700 Spal brushless fans, Spal Extreme fans (although these are monsters if you can keep enough power going to them) and Spal HD fans.

Just keep in mind, you need GOOD relays and wiring for the Lincoln MKVIII fan, that's about another $75 or so you need to factor in.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:24 PM
ZAKsPop
Drifting

OK. I ordered the eBay fan. Step one.
And thanks everyone.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:44 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

In description the ebay fan said mk and 2 speed its not both.

With too much time researching it my opinion is the fan on ebay if 2 speed is the t bird cougar fan, same shroud as mk same blade as mk, keep in mind blade design changed to reduce noise not cfm,
The 2 speed motor is Taurus and on high flows same as mk on high,

I do not ask anyone to take my word on it but im sold my info is correct.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:09 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

There is only ONE part number on this fan. There is some wishy-washy about this posting having more than 1 part number list below. If it's a 2 speed fan it is not a 97-98 Lincoln Mark 8 fan.

Originally Posted by ZAKsPop
Old 11-15-2018, 09:45 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

No, there are no 2 speed mk fans.

The Taurus shroud is smaller, but not as friendly as the mk, t bird, cougar shroud,

You will see mk fans on Ebay and even parts stores but nope, if its two speed its not mk
This fuels tons of confusion,

You might notu2ce depending on brand the blade design is different no effect on cfm just to help noise, these are loud on high.

Last edited by The13Bats; 11-16-2018 at 08:42 AM.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:42 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

I apologize i went off on my mk waxing and drifted away from the OPs question.

You asked to suggest a good electric fan and its not a blanket one size fits all answer.
Like l-46man pointed out stock mech fans work great and yeah, most savvy car crafters avoid flex fans for many reasons.

People use terms when describing the stock c3 cooling system like "adequate" or "marginal" with the labels being proven when gm offered heavy duty systems and extra electric fans.
The job of the fan is simple, cool the car at speeds under what it requires with forward movement to cool it. Assuming the cooling system is up to par to start with.

The drawback to stock mech fan is at idle where it needs the most cfm these mech fans put out their least and as rpm increases thr fan clutch allows the fan to just come along for the ride, and they require perfect set up, spaced right in the shroud and seals etc in place.
Used on larger capacity aftermarket radiators set up correctly they will outdo any electric fan i know of.

An electric fan can put out its full cfm at idle on a hot day stuck in traffic ac on where we need that cfm,
The drawback, you will need to beef up your charging system 100amp is the minimum i would try guys get by with 80amp alternators but i dont like just getting by,
Some wiring will need to be larger gauge also.
I wouldnt run one on a stock c3 radiator.

But by this point most c3 owners do not run the factory stock radiators they have stepped up to a larger cooling capacity aftermarket aluminum unit.
Now since we have a larger than needed radiator things like a dual 11 fan might just cool okay because we have more radiator capacity to make up for less fan cfm,

If stock mech fan is just not something you want or like in my case mild bb i cant run a spreader bar with any mech fan on a bb so electric fan is a must, the dual 11 spal will fit the most pain free, with speedshops offering a bracket kit,
However,
I would only consider trying the dual 11 on a larger capacity aftermarket radiator,
After a lot of net researching i have seen a lot of gear heads try the dual 11 and not like it, didnt cool well switch to a ford fan and rave how great they cool, which you placed your order.

If you like to cobble things up and make stuff happen the t bird cougar 2 speed fan that does put out more cfm is a great option,
The taurus fan doesnt have as large a shroud,
I am looking forward for my 69 bb to be running again, i have collected seberal fan i want to test,

I also cant find a picture but perhaps someone could post some of this mk,tbird,cougar shroud mounted on a c3, it fits, just barely....it would be nice for people consudering it to get an idea how it looks and fits.

Last edited by The13Bats; 11-16-2018 at 08:43 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To FAN Suggestion

Quick Reply: FAN Suggestion