Starter issues, what else to troubleshoot

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 03:52 PM
Backstop
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Starter issues, what else to troubleshoot

Hi all,
I'm in the process of getting my new ATK 383 going in a 73 coupe, manual transmission.

It's in the car, got all the accessories back on there, and ready to get the carb and distributor on there. But when we went to turn the motor over, to ceck if its on compression stroke, nothing. No clicks or grinding, nothing.

If I touched the terminals with a screwdriver, it will turn over (strong battery and connection) but we don't hear the shaft popping out and back. We used a testing light and just get a flicker when the key is turned.

I just put a new Lectric Limited engine harness in as a "while I'm at it" job, so I'd hope its not a bad wire.

Any ideas?
Old 11-15-2018, 04:06 PM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Clutch safety switch circuit open?
Old 11-15-2018, 05:17 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Put a test light on the purple wire a the starter- turn the key to start- if the light comes on brightly, it's a ground issue from the starter to the frame. No light, or if it's dim, then follow the trail back to the safety switch. If you replaced the dash harness as well as the engine harness, check the connector at the clutch switch- the pigtail is short both from the harness and from the switch, it may not be plugged in real well.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:57 PM
Backstop
Racer

So here's a development.

I stuck my head under the dash and wiggled the clutch safety switch, seems tight.

Took the starter for a test, works fine. The guy said nothing was happening with the R post, but I think that doesn't matter to me if i have an MSD ignition.

Double checking with the test light, it's just a flicker when the key is turned, and then really dim. Then I pulled the yellow wire off the S post and turned the key and the test light was really bright!

So the wire is getting a good signal, but somehow its getting lost when connecting to the post.

Last edited by Backstop; 11-21-2018 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:32 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Should be a purple 10 ga wire on the "S" (inner small post) the yellow one is the resistor bypass to the coil when starting.
Old 11-22-2018, 06:29 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

First use a screwdriver or 12v wire touched on the small S post Tim mentioned. That should fire the starter. If not, it is in the circuit that puts power there. Source, key switch, clutch or neutral switch, etc. If starter doesn't fire and you have 12 volts on the S terminal, it is the starter solenoid. You heard starter motor spin, but didn't fire solenoid so you have battery power at big 12v terminal and good enough ground.

Last edited by derekderek; 11-22-2018 at 06:31 AM.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:53 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

The yellow wire is hooked up wrong. Should be on small "R" terminal away from engine. Yellow wire is really not used if you do not run points.

Purple wire goes to "S" small terminal close to engine block. Gets 12V from twist of key when everything is right.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:00 AM
sambrand
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Backstop
Hi all,
I'm in the process of getting my new ATK 383 going in a 73 coupe, manual transmission.

It's in the car, got all the accessories back on there, and ready to get the carb and distributor on there. But when we went to turn the motor over, to ceck if its on compression stroke, nothing. No clicks or grinding, nothing.

If I touched the terminals with a screwdriver, it will turn over (strong battery and connection) but we don't hear the shaft popping out and back. We used a testing light and just get a flicker when the key is turned.

I just put a new Lectric Limited engine harness in as a "while I'm at it" job, so I'd hope its not a bad wire.

Any ideas?
its the bendix, pull the starter and have it bench tested, odds are you have something else funky in the wireing harness but the starter just whirring indicates the bendix isn't engaging, only way to properly diagnose this and any other ssues with the staer require it to be on the workbench or most local parts stores will also test it for free, if the starter fails bench test that gives you an indication the starter needs rebuild/replace, if the starter tests ok then start looking at your new harness mods, theres not a lot in that circuit so I am skeptical that something was mis installed unless it was just one of those omg I cant believe I did that moments we all have from time to time.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:50 AM
Backstop
Racer

Just to be sure, this looks right? The clutch safety looks tight and purple goes in the same side purple comes out, it's not reversed with purple/white. I just unplugged the old harness and plugged the new one back in, nothing changed under the dash, and the starter was reliable when the car was parked plus the bench test was OK, so I can't imagine anything changed there.

Get notified of new replies

To Starter issues, what else to troubleshoot

Quick Reply: Starter issues, what else to troubleshoot