How to install Stage 2 splitter where Stage 1 was

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 01:40 PM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

Default How to install Stage 2 splitter where Stage 1 was

I'm going from a Stage 1 splitter to a Stage 2.

Do I have to have that big tray looking piece to install a Stage 2 splitter?

My Stage 1 splitter just attaches to the underside of the front bumper cover with a few bolts and some rivets.

Can the stage 2 attach the same as the Stage 1 without any other parts like that large plastic tray that fits under the whole front bumper area? My Stage 1 does not have that piece.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:32 PM
IRMB
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

If you buy a GM part - or one modelled after the GM part, you will need a new airdam.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:17 PM
L82Brake
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

I got the C7Carbon Stage 2 and the under-tray is optional.

https://www.c7carbon.com/2014-c7-cor...on-flash-p-593

I added the under-tray and got it from a local dealer that gave me a good price (shipping is pricey).

https://www.gmpartsdirect.co/oem-parts/gm-deflector-23163400/?c=aT1DRjE0MDEyNSZyPWxheWVyXzY%3D

p.s. - The under-tray does not include mounting screws.

Last edited by L82Brake; 11-16-2018 at 08:23 PM. Reason: added ps
Old 11-16-2018, 11:59 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by L82Brake
I got the C7Carbon Stage 2 and the under-tray is optional.

https://www.c7carbon.com/2014-c7-cor...on-flash-p-593

I added the under-tray and got it from a local dealer that gave me a good price (shipping is pricey).

https://www.gmpartsdirect.co/oem-parts/gm-deflector-23163400/?c=aT1DRjE0MDEyNSZyPWxheWVyXzY%3D

p.s. - The under-tray does not include mounting screws.
My undertray (aka deflector) included all 21 button head fasteners. It was purchased from Suburban Chevrolet (aka Trunk Monkey) and was ~$140 delivered.

What was not included with my C7Carbon Stage 2 splitter were the associated u-nuts that go on the splitter for the undertray to attach to it. I bought a box of 25 GM M4.2-1.41 (#8) Extruded U Type Nuts (GM p/n 11515638) as well as a box of 25 Bumper Fascia & General Purpose Split-Type Rivets (GM p/n 11516807) from "Clips and Fasteners . com" . Total cost for those was ~$30 delivered. Dealers sell the Exact same pieces for several dollars each. Basically ClipsandFasteners is selling direct from the manufacturer of these items vs GM and the dealers which mark them up....although they do neatly bag them separately vs getting a box full.

If you're installing the splitter for cosmetics, it bolts on in place of the Stage 1 splitter.
- The Stage 1 splitter takes 10 minutes to remove and 5 of those minutes are drilling out the 10 rivets
- Once the splitter is removed, be sure to clear out the remnants of the rivets that are sitting on the topside of the fascia out of sight. Just pull the fascia edge down and sweep them out with your fingers
- Next remove the center air dam (5 bolts as I recall) and the 2 air dam end pieces (3 bolts each). Also remove the lower 2 bolts that secure each fender spat to the fascia using a T15 torx bit. It just makes life easier when installing the Stage 2 splitter.
- Use the Stage 1 bolts to loosely attach the Stage 2 splitter to the fascia. Once you have the new splitter aligned to your satisfaction (including side to side), tighten the bolts, double check the alignment, and then install the new rivets (3/16" shank). I had a couple rivet holes on the splitter that didn't line up with the Stage 1 holes so I drilled new ones. Not a big deal, just use a stop or some tape on the drill bit so you don't go nuts and drill something you don't want to.
- Install the Stage 2 splitter end caps (aka winglets)

If you're only doing the install for cosmetics, reinstall the fender spat bolts and the 2 air dam end pieces and you're done.

If you plan to track the car, you'll want to install the Stage 2/3 undertray. To install it, hold off on the fender spat bolts and the air dam end pieces
- The Stage 2/3 undertray fits over the Stage 1 deflector so don't remove it completely
- Remove the five (going from memory) 10mm bolts that secure the back edge of the Stage 1 deflector to the cross member
- Install the u-nuts on the Stage 2 splitter. I HIGHLY recommend you slot the holes and radius the back edge of the splitter so you can move the u-nuts and therefore the undertray around for alignment purposes. I think the holes drilled by C7Carbon are really just close approximations. Several of mine were so far forward that the u-nuts weren't long enough...hence the need to take a little material off the back edge...and they all needed to be slotted. A Dremel tool makes short work of this and it's not nearly as bad as it sounds.
- With the u-nuts in place, I loosely attached the rear edge of the undertray to the cross-member using the five bolts I removed earlier
- With the rear edge attached, you can start working on the bolts along the forward edge. Start from the middle and work out to the edges
- Get everything lined up and then tighten the bolts
- Install the 2 air dam pieces and then the bolts for the fender spats

You're done

We live in a condo but I have a shop I where I can use a lift. This was easy enough to do it with the front wheels on a few lengths of 2"x12" wood at the condo

Last edited by 96GS#007; 11-17-2018 at 09:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tomtoro (12-03-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 08:41 PM
gmarcucio
Drifting

Received 601 Likes on 318 Posts

What is the main purpose of the undertray? Is it for more support and strength of the splitter during track driving? Or does it support functionality of the splitter during track driving? Or both? I know this is probably a stupid question that I should know the answer to but I am not into racing at all and need the definition of the 3 stages of these splitters that are offered for the Corvette explained to me? I know what each looks like and I just ordered the stage two for my C7, however once I have it bolted on my car and someone askes me what does the stage 2 mean I want to be able to explain.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:36 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by gmarcucio
What is the main purpose of the undertray? Is it for more support and strength of the splitter during track driving? Or does it support functionality of the splitter during track driving? Or both? I know this is probably a stupid question that I should know the answer to but I am not into racing at all and need the definition of the 3 stages of these splitters that are offered for the Corvette explained to me? I know what each looks like and I just ordered the stage two for my C7, however once I have it bolted on my car and someone askes me what does the stage 2 mean I want to be able to explain.
Functional. It closes off the underside which helps the splitter work. It also has one channel on each side that is molded in to provide more brake cooling air.

Stage 3 adds larger end caps for more downforce and is designed for use with the Z07 package. On the Z06, Stage 3 also adds the clear center piece to the rear spoiler. It provides more rear downforce at the expense of top speed. The GS Z07 Stage 3 package doesn’t get the clear center piece.

Plenty of more detailed descriptions as well as photos available via Google.
The following users liked this post:
tomtoro (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 03:14 AM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Can I simply remove a Stage 1 and install a Stage 2 in its place without using the undertray? Just a simple swap from one to the other?

Old 12-03-2018, 06:39 AM
262swanny1
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes
Old 12-03-2018, 06:42 AM
ZO6 cracker
Drifting

Received 693 Likes on 404 Posts

My 2019 Z06 has the stage 1. Where are you guys purchasing the stage 2 from? I like the C7 Carbon ones. But there are a few nice ones out there. I plan on changing mine out also. Any info would be great. Thanks.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:52 AM
Barnwood
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a white GS vert and I wanted to match the carbon flash black paint that the rest of the accents had on the car and I liked a more aggressive look for the front splitter but the oem stage 1 was flat black (my opinion GM cheaped out on that one). I purchased my stage 2 from ACS composites and it was one piece with the under tray attached. I don't track the car but I sure like the look for the street and the under tray adds some rigidity to the front splitter. I also purchashed the ACS stage 2 winglets, also an easy install with excellent quality

96gs#007 gave a good description of the install with the two piece under tray and it's even easier as one piece. ACS supplies the extra rivets and it bolted right up using existing holes and bolts. I think I drilled two additional rivets for the side tire air dams..
Old 12-03-2018, 08:01 AM
ZO6 cracker
Drifting

Received 693 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Barnwood
I have a white GS vert and I wanted to match the carbon flash black paint that the rest of the accents had on the car and I liked a more aggressive look for the front splitter but the oem stage 1 was flat black (my opinion GM cheaped out on that one). I purchased my stage 2 from ACS composites and it was one piece with the under tray attached. I don't track the car but I sure like the look for the street and the under tray adds some rigidity to the front splitter. I also purchashed the ACS stage 2 winglets, also an easy install with excellent quality

96gs#007 gave a good description of the install with the two piece under tray and it's even easier as one piece. ACS supplies the extra rivets and it bolted right up using existing holes and bolts. I think I drilled two additional rivets for the side tire air dams..
Did you go with there side skirts or keep your oem’s? There’s look pretty nice from looking at there web site. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:08 AM
Barnwood
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I stayed with the oem's and added more clear film protection to the side brake ducts
Old 12-03-2018, 09:17 AM
Harris
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

I have a C7 Carbon stage 2. I am happy with it, Their customer service has been very good, too. As the others have said the under tray is not required

Last edited by Harris; 12-03-2018 at 09:18 AM.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:40 AM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

I ran across a used Stage 2 front splitter, but the seller does not have the undertray, he only has the splitter. Can I just remove my Stage 1 splitter and replace it with the Stage 2 with no undertray?

Old 12-03-2018, 09:51 AM
1BadRS
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

You just asked that question in post 7 and got the answer in post 8, which is yes. What else do you want to know?

Get notified of new replies

To How to install Stage 2 splitter where Stage 1 was

Quick Reply: How to install Stage 2 splitter where Stage 1 was