Sponsored by:

Custom z06 straight pipes or Borla Stingers

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 05:43 PM
Larry Sanders
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Custom z06 straight pipes or Borla Stingers

i currently have custom z06 straight pipes and I think might want to replace them with a set of Borla stinger I was wondering what should I do keep them or just keep the straights. Will the stingers be too quiet or am I overthink it. My car is stock besides red halltech stinger.

Last edited by Larry Sanders; 11-16-2018 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:00 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

I would highly suggest the mid America motor works stinger clones.

They sound less blatty down low than Stingers, and much more crisp and changes tones through the rpm range.

I’ve listened to every catback made on easily thousands of c5s and if you’re thinking of Stingers, 100% MAM clones.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (11-22-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 09:01 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Even better is add an X-pipe (even better if you do headers too) and the exhaust will become music.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:22 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

I threw a set of straight pipes on my z06 while my headers were on preorder because I wanted some noise. Didnt love then until I put the headers/x pipe on. Now they’re here to stay
Old 11-17-2018, 10:26 PM
Time for a C-5
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 179 Posts

I had first gen Borla Stingers - they droned. I understand gen 2 is much better. But the tone of either...there is better sound options out there. Headers will give a sound no cat-back can provide, and increase hp. That's how I would spend my money.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:51 AM
Tuco
Team Owner

Location: Blessed are the cracked. For they are the ones who let in the light.
Received 165 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by ~Josh

I’ve listened to every catback made on easily thousands of c5s
So you're in the business?
I have the Borlas on my ride..bad as loud..
But want to put my Z06 tit's on.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:21 AM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by Tuco
So you're in the business?
I have the Borlas on my ride..bad as loud..
But want to put my Z06 tit's on.
Used to be for years added up.

I’m in the 18 Wheeler biz currently. More money.

Loved my Ti too, sold it that way. Bought the car back years later (and sold my c6z) with the MAM clones having been done by him as a mod and the sound isn’t something I want to change. I keep the rpm wound up when I drive it on special days. Car has a 224 cam so that helps with the music.

I stay gone half the day (safely) enjoying small roads in the countryside.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:19 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Custom exhausts are not all that they are cracked up to be. welding pipes to mufflers is Not the way to go since exhaust stems play a big part in how your engine breathes. An untested " Custom exhaust system is nothing but a pipe to allow exhaust to flow from the engine. A Real exhaust system is designed to enhance the exhaust pulses and this can only be achieved with testing. Sound is only one part of the exhaust design, performance; horse power and torque gains can be made. The balance of both sound and performance is a science, not something a welder does in a muffler shop.

The system out there that drone, drone because the manufacture focuses more on sound than performance. To many " drone or obnoxious sound is a plus...Ive seen it on this forum for 18 years. System that are well known to drone are denied by many of their owners. So you have to be careful about who you listen to. When you " change the motor " it changes the sound. E.G. when a cammed motor gets hearers it changes the Titanium system dramatically.. For many a stock motor or a lightly bolt on modded motor gets titanium exhaust is sound fairly quiet. Most systems sound great at WOT its the cruise and idle notes that are always in question. Corsa engineers told me, they can Bend the sound to make a good sounding exhaust system in two of the three areas of tone. Idle, wot, cruise. Cruise: that 1500 50 2000 rpm range where drone is the most prevalent, is the hardest to achieve. Removing this drone effects the idle note. WOT is usually a no brainer. so you either want not drone and give up some idle tone. The motor boat sound is corrected by an Xpipe sine the H pipe design is not the best choice but is there because of the design budget.
Just some insider stuff, from an informed member.

I know a few things because I have seen a few things.

Bill aka ET
Old 11-19-2018, 02:46 AM
ElisTwoCents
Le Mans Master

Received 420 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Have any pics of those straight pipes?
Old 11-19-2018, 02:18 PM
lavaheadache
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I have Stingers on my 01. Engine is stock internally but has long tubes(no cats) and an x pipe. Sounds amazing but definitely has some drone at 1500 or so rpm as Evil Twin has suggested. It’s only noticeable in 6th on the highway. To rememdy I won’t hit 6th until 75mph and beyond. Not sure what kind of things an automatic user has to do to alleviate the issue.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:51 AM
smitty2919
Safety Car

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,199 Posts

I have stock manifolds, stock midpipe and maybe a OBX style catback (nothing on it to tell what it is with ~6" dia x 12" long mufflers) on my 03 Z which is similar to the Stinger setup. It does have that marine boat wet flutter sound at idle and even a hint of it while accelerating around a parking lot. The interior noise is very acceptable to me. I cant imagine you guys running no mufflers....blah.

Next project is to cut out the H pipe and add a X pipe due to the reported small hole in the main pipes. I've had cars where I went the LT's/catless setup and I never was able to get it quiet enough inside so needless to say I am hesitant to go to LT's and catless on the C5. It's going to be a car the wife and I are able to take decent trips in.

That said I don't think the H to X pipe will add any more drone...really just looking to clean up the tone.

Last edited by smitty2919; 11-20-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:17 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

I'm going to offer a little more insight into exhaust systems. Exhaust systems are designed to pull a vacuum ( draw exhaust gasses ) ( scavenge ). . Ive mentioned this many times. Straight pipes are very counter productive.. The reason being science and technology has found that the variance from two disconnected straight pipes will never draw equal exhaust pulses from the motor, The left bank cylinders are connected to a single pipe that draws a specific back pressure. The right bank ha a similar but not exact draw. meaning the amount of Pull or vacuum when the intake valve opens is not the same since each pipe draw a different volume of exhaust gasses as the exhaust valve opens. so one bank has less drawn volume than the other side. If this is not clear you might as well not read any further.

an X pipe will " Balance out the back pressure so that both banks see the same draw ( meaning both banks will accept the same volume of gas and air fuel mixture. . straight pipe will cause more unbalanced vibration because the ignition stroke see a variance in the amount of fuel draw into each bank with straight pipes. An H pipe will help to balance out a motor but pales in comparison to an X pipe. the reason H pipes go into every car is for the gain in MPG, and the dampening of motor vibration and increased fuel economy.. the reason an H pipe is used because it is much cheaper and usually exhaust design does not get a lot of design budget money in development.

So in conclusion, a X pipe is always a better choice. Straight pipe are for those living in the 60's or those who think its cool to run straight pipes.. when in fact, the idea is less than sound.

I hope I have not offended anyone and offer my insight and personal experience working with Corsa engineers, and also two other manufacturers vying for the GM pace car Contract. Ultimately Corsa won the contract..

I will not debate this in open forum but anyone having question can PM me and I would be happy to answer any questions.

Bill aka ET
Old 11-21-2018, 08:29 AM
smitty2919
Safety Car

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,199 Posts

Good post Evil. I believe the "straight pipes" mentioned here is still retaining some sort of crossover and they are simply eliminating the mufflers to be "straight pipe". I've heard a true straight piped cammed 6.0L LS2 in a 3rd Gen and it sounded HORRIBLE.

Get notified of new replies

To Custom z06 straight pipes or Borla Stingers

Quick Reply: Custom z06 straight pipes or Borla Stingers