C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Tender- Brand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 08:58 PM
toytruckman
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Tender- Brand?

I don't have many posts, but do read most of the Tech posts everyday. I know you guys like the 'Battery-Tender' brand of battery tenders. Are those the the only ones? I have a couple of Schumacher (as in Don and Tony from NHRA) Solar cells with a converter that I use for smaller batteries no cars yet. I am finally buying my first Vette, well I'm looking at 2 but am ready to pull the trigger. I am starting to get necessary accessories (ramps; charger; jack-pucks). and the battery tender is next up.
Any kind of battery charger is good or should I stick with 'Battery-Tender'? If so which one is the best?

Thanks
Dave
Old 11-17-2018, 10:25 PM
ErikR
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 81 Posts

Asking for "the best" will get you all kinds of replies.

At this moment, I have 4 battery maintainers plugged in, 3 of them are the wall wart style Battery Tender Jr.'s and one is a Craftsman... which I think is really a re-branded Schumacher. Several people on here use the CTEK brand, but I never felt the need to spend that much $$.

I've used the BT Jr's for many years. Every fall, I plug in 2 motorcycles, a tractor, and the vette. The vehicles sit plugged in all winter. I've never had a battery problem and the vehicles start every spring. I had an original Goldwing battery last 10 years using a BT Jr. all winter. It may have gone longer, but i sold the bike. I had the OEM battery in a Yamaha FJR last 8 years. It too may have gone longer, but I sold that bike too.

I think just about any modern day, name brand, battery maintainer that's smarter than an old fashioned "trickle charger" would be fine. Keeping in mind that they're intended to maintain a charge.... not bring a dead battery back to life..
The following users liked this post:
Raycuda (11-18-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 10:47 PM
toytruckman
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool Thanks...... That's the camp I was in.
Wanted to make sure....

Last edited by toytruckman; 11-17-2018 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 12:41 AM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by ErikR

At this moment, I have 4 battery maintainers plugged in, 3 of them are the wall wart style Battery Tender Jr.'s and one is a Craftsman... which I think is really a re-branded Schumacher. Several people on here use the CTEK brand, but I never felt the need to spend that much $$.

I've used the BT Jr's for many years. Every fall, I plug in 2 motorcycles, a tractor, and the vette. The vehicles sit plugged in all winter. I've never had a battery problem and the vehicles start every spring. I had an original Goldwing battery last 10 years using a BT Jr. all winter. It may have gone longer, but i sold the bike. I had the OEM battery in a Yamaha FJR last 8 years. It too may have gone longer, but I sold that bike too.

I think just about any modern day, name brand, battery maintainer that's smarter than an old fashioned "trickle charger" would be fine. Keeping in mind that they're intended to maintain a charge.... not bring a dead battery back to life..
There are several good quality brands out there ranging in price for just under $50 to over a couple hundred. I have been using a Battery Tender Plus for a few years now. Picked it up at my local AutoZone for under $50, it has worked flawlessly and I like the quick release connect 'harness' you can 'permanently' hook up to the battery.
Old 11-18-2018, 12:46 AM
BackInBlack05
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts

Just make sure it has a "float charge" feature.
Old 11-18-2018, 04:02 AM
Judgebull
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 85 Posts

Buy a smart charger and you will be fine... modern electronics are instrumental in matching the charging rates to the batteries requirements...will extend battery life and reliability...
Old 11-18-2018, 05:35 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Shumacher!! one of the oldest names in the business!!
Old 11-18-2018, 09:10 AM
Olsarge
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

I have 8 classic cars. I've been using Battery Tender, Jr for years. They are .75 amps. I was having trouble keeping the '12 Vette charged so I got a 1.5 amp Schumacher. Turns out my problem was the battery not the car. I still keep the Schumacher on the Vette. All is good. The Jr's have worked fine on my older non-computer cars. If you check online you can get a great deal for a four-pack - around $25 each.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:34 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

my vote is

''CTEK''
Old 11-18-2018, 09:55 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

The Optima 400 maintainer is the best I have found so far and I have used just about all of the top brands on the market.. It gives a readout of all functions including actual battery volts, voltage going into battery and maintained voltage.. It also has advanced settings for each type of battery being maintained , instead of a one size fits all program.. I have been using the Optima 400 charger/maintainer on both of my Corvettes for over 4 years and can highly recommend it as an excellent unit..WW

Last edited by WW7; 11-18-2018 at 10:41 AM.
ptroxx (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 11:05 AM
ki-speed
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
The Optima 400 maintainer is the best I have found so far and I have used just about all of the top brands on the market.. It gives a readout of all functions including actual battery volts, voltage going into battery and maintained voltage.. It also has advanced settings for each type of battery being maintained , instead of a one size fits all program.. I have been using the Optima 400 charger/maintainer on both of my Corvettes for over 4 years and can highly recommend it as an excellent unit..WW
I've got the same one. Works great and gives battery status information.
ptroxx (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 11:17 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by ErikR

You indicated "The Best". The engineers at Interstate Battery recommended a Schumacher 1500A which is designed to correctly charge and/or maintain both conventional and AGM batteries using manual switch designation of what you need to charge and/or maintain. It also has an automotive and marine setting. It is most likely overkill at $150 for most of us.

Last edited by cmonkey713; 11-18-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:22 AM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Everyone will say the best is what they currently have so best is the one you want to choose.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:55 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by saplumr
Everyone will say the best is what they currently have so best is the one you want to choose.
Absolutely true. So, I guess I'll chime in with what I feel is the best since I have them Seriously, there are alot of good ones out there,. I have had great luck with the C-Tek 3300. It is the only one that actually comes with the new Corvette as part of the "battery saver" package. I got that with my new C7 Z06. I have one for all of my newer Corvettes and Viper. They work great.
Old 11-18-2018, 12:29 PM
B y r o n
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have or have had at least one of every brand mentioned so far. I even tried a HF but it didn't last to long. I run them on MC's, riding mowers and my cars and trucks. The one that I am most happy with is the CTEK MUS 4.3. Now they have come out with some new models so take a look and see what fits your needs. For me the 4.3 with the recondition setting has saved me several times. With proper care a good battery will last longer than their advertise life, even more than double it!
Old 11-18-2018, 01:08 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by B y r o n
I have or have had at least one of every brand mentioned so far. I even tried a HF but it didn't last to long. I run them on MC's, riding mowers and my cars and trucks. The one that I am most happy with is the CTEK MUS 4.3. Now they have come out with some new models so take a look and see what fits your needs. For me the 4.3 with the recondition setting has saved me several times. With proper care a good battery will last longer than their advertise life, even more than double it!
On Ctek

One of the newest Cteks is the MSX 5.0. It has different modes for smaller motorcycle batteries, car, and AGM batteries. Most every car manufacturer that offers a tender as an accessory is a Ctek rewrapped in their brands. Corvette is one of them. Corvette offers a stripped down CTEK 3300 (no AGM option) as all Corvette batteries are lead acid.

I now use a Ctek 7002, needed for one of my British cars that has 2 AGM batteries. Another great feature of the 7002 is the "Supply" mode. It will supply a steady 12v to the system if you need to disconnect the battery and keep systems powered up.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:11 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Del-tec

Clif

Get notified of new replies

To Battery Tender- Brand?

Old 11-18-2018, 08:15 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

I use the smallest NOCO Genius
Old 11-18-2018, 09:44 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Ive been using the Optima Maintainer for years now. That was given to me by a friend.
And I just got a free one at SEMA this year. I’m set for a while now.
They work great. Love the display.

Originally Posted by ki-speed
I've got the same one. Works great and gives battery status information.
Originally Posted by WW7
Old 11-19-2018, 02:39 AM
tmryann
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Ctek is pricey but it works great. Bought mine 3 years ago and have no issues with it.

Quick Reply: Battery Tender- Brand?