C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bilstein sports vs c6 z06 shocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 02:50 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Received 197 Likes on 171 Posts

Default Bilstein sports vs c6 z06 shocks

Anyone have experience with both? I currently have the Bilstein sports and I think they are a great shock but I was looking for something with a little softer ride. Anyone know if the c6Z shocks would be noticeably softer or are they pretty close to the sports?
Old 11-19-2018, 11:17 AM
JHrinsin
Drifting

Received 390 Likes on 318 Posts

Shocks are very much a personal taste kind of thing with Corvettes, ask 100 people and you will get at least 101 opinions. You didn't state what other suspension mods you may have done or the wheels./tires you running or what you plan to use your Corvette for; daily driver or a weekend toy/cruiser? Is the car at the stock ride height or has it been lowered? Do you do or plan on any autocross or HPDE events? The C6 Z06 shocks are fairly inexpensive. You can buy a set and give them a try. If you like them better than the Bilstein B8 Sports, you can most likely sell the Bilsteins (if they don't have too many miles on them ) for more than you spend on the C6 Z06 shock and be money ahead. In this "same range" there are also the DRM custom valved Bilstein Sports with a tad less compression and a bit more rebound (or so I have been told) as well as the Koni FSD, but either of those are going to be a bit more money.

Last edited by JHrinsin; 11-19-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:44 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JHrinsin
Shocks are very much a personal taste kind of thing with Corvettes, ask 100 people and you will get at least 101 opinions. You didn't state what other suspension mods you may have done or the wheels./tires you running or what you plan to use your Corvette for; daily driver or a weekend toy/cruiser? Is the car at the stock ride height or has it been lowered? Do you do or plan on any autocross or HPDE events? The C6 Z06 shocks are fairly inexpensive. You can buy a set and give them a try. If you like them better than the Bilstein B8 Sports, you can most likely sell the Bilsteins (if they don't have too many miles on them ) for more than you spend on the C6 Z06 shock and be money ahead. In this "same range" there are also the DRM custom valved Bilstein Sports with a tad less compression and a bit more rebound (or so I have been told) as well as the Koni FSD, but either of those are going to be a bit more money.
My suspension is completely stock, lowered on stock bolts. Tires are Toyo Proxes T1 in factory sizes. The car is basically a weekend car with no intentions of tracking it. I didn’t like the factory shocks so I put the Bilsteins on. I don’t dislike them but they are a little more stiff than I’d like, if I did Autocross they would prob be great. I’m just looking for a shock that rides a little softer and I assumed the c6 z06 wouldn’t be AS stiff as the Bilsteins
Old 11-19-2018, 09:36 PM
JHrinsin
Drifting

Received 390 Likes on 318 Posts

I would suggest that you would be happy with the C6 Z06 shocks and that forum member Gene Cultrag would have the best pricing.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rformance.html
Old 11-21-2018, 08:08 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

I would suggest that you would be happy with the C6 Z06 shocks and that forum member Gene Cultrag would have the best pricing.

Thanks, I’ll check it out.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:16 PM
C5 for life
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bwill03z
Anyone have experience with both? I currently have the Bilstein sports and I think they are a great shock but I was looking for something with a little softer ride. Anyone know if the c6Z shocks would be noticeably softer or are they pretty close to the sports?
is your car lowered? You need the b8’s they were made for lowered applications. Z shock are slightly better. And by slightly better. You won’t bottom out. But, for 300 for the Z’s you can expect much. That’s one of those Add ons that are complimented with the C6 Z51 sways. Which will provide a more acute response and easier to put on.

however if you claim the Bilstein sports are rough the Z’s are ok but not gonna be what you want. I learned the hard way. The trade ill be making is Aldan Amaericans and be done with the suspension portion for good on my DD. Oh and if your running run flats forget it. That’s where you start. Get that junk off ASAP.

Last edited by C5 for life; 11-21-2018 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:23 PM
C5 for life
Pro

i did and was pleased, with the sways, not the shocks. There just a bit better than base OEM. No bottom out That’s why there dirt cheap. Can’t cheap out on these cars

Last edited by C5 for life; 11-21-2018 at 10:25 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:34 PM
C5 for life
Pro

[QUOTE=bwill03z;1598363665]

My suspension is completely stock, lowered on stock bolts. Tires are Toyo Proxes T1 in factory sizes. The car is basically a weekend car with no intentions of tracking it. I didn’t like the factory shocks so I put the Bilsteins on. I don’t dislike them but they are a little more stiff than I’d like, if I did Autocross they would prob be great. I’m just looking for a shock that rides a little softer and I assumed the c6 z06 wouldn’t be AS stiff as the Bilsteins
[/QUOTE

Oh if your on a completely stock suspension get the Z shocks and Z51 sways. Your needs don’t require any more. Not to mention if there OEM bass shocks they are cooked

Last edited by C5 for life; 11-21-2018 at 10:35 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:40 PM
C5 for life
Pro

Originally Posted by bwill03z
If Yuit saying the B8’s are stiff I’m happy to hear that. I made the right decision getting the Zshocks. Get them bud. If it’s one thing the Zshocks aren’t is hard. But get the sways dude. Gene Culley will take care of you. 10% of Black Friday sale. But get the most expensive sway bar ends. While your at it look into the best bushings for your A Arms

Last edited by C5 for life; 11-21-2018 at 10:42 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Bilstein sports vs c6 z06 shocks

Quick Reply: Bilstein sports vs c6 z06 shocks