C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken starter bolt

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 04:25 PM
Mikenonamaker
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Broken starter bolt

The outboard bolt broke when I was removing my old starter, and now I am having an awful time getting it out, I've tried using left handed drill bits, easy outs and even applying a very small amount of heat to the bolt to try and get it out with no luck. Is it possible that the threads bent or got messed up? I dont want to have to take it to a shop based off of this, but I dont see any other choice at the moment.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:19 PM
redzg
Melting Slicks

Received 658 Likes on 527 Posts

Curious how you'll solve this. Outboard bolt is the long bolt? Break at head or block? Starter is off, yes? You say you tried heat, but if there is exposed shank have you considered cold spray? I would think a hot bolt expands and a cold bolt shrinks -- but I've seen a 'hot wrench' work many times.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:28 PM
Mikenonamaker
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redzg
Curious how you'll solve this. Outboard bolt is the long bolt? Break at head or block? Starter is off, yes? You say you tried heat, but if there is exposed shank have you considered cold spray? I would think a hot bolt expands and a cold bolt shrinks -- but I've seen a 'hot wrench' work many times.
yep the long one, basically 3/4ths of the threads are broken off into the mount. It's about 1/2 an inch deep inside the block, so no chance of welding anything on to it. I've thought about maybe using my left handed drill bit with the smallest bit I have and drilling almost all the way through the bolt then maybe trying to jam a punch or something in it and trying to thread it out that way, that's highly unlikely to work though. Hoping I wont have to bring it anywhere, this is a pain doing on my back in a cold garage though.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:53 PM
mmartinez
Melting Slicks

Received 504 Likes on 422 Posts

Sorry to hear your having problems with a broken bolt, it can be a real challenge to get a broken bolt out, sometimes it is better to drill out the broken bolt with the correct size tap drill after center punching the broken bolt and then re- tapping the threads. I would drill out the bolt with a smaller drill before drilling out the hole with the correct tap drill size. Feel for you, good luck.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:27 PM
wadenelson
Burning Brakes

Received 332 Likes on 199 Posts

1/2" deep. No lift. Cold garage. November. Did you **** the big guy upstairs off?

Start by getting a foam yoga mat and a cheap or old electric blanket out there so you can lay on your back for 30 minutes at a stretch without freezing your azz off.

Other than having a lift, and having "seen it before" there's nothing a shop can or is gonna do that you can't to extract this bolt. Main thing is taking your time. Taking a lot of breaks
Not getting frustrated and giving up. Don't get cold. Get a thermos of coffee and a helper to pour you some grief while you struggle. Get a radio playing to calm your nerves.

Buy as many nice sharp drill bits as you need, even if you go through a dozen. Plan on an assault that may take 3-4 days, because you're GOING SLOW and being PATIENT.

I'm gonna suggest you start and finish every day spraying the living crap out of it with PB Blaster. Maybe stuff cotton or something in there so it stays wet and can wick.
Spray it before you take any breaks, too.

Center punch it, and start drilling. If EZ-Out slips, drill it next size up and go up until you're @ the diameter of the bolt. Me, I gently tap EZ outs in with a hammer. Don't
want to EXPAND the bolt and make it grip the threads even tighter.

If a drill starts off center, attempt to center it as you go. Use a dremel, if necessary, to make a flat place to center punch.

Safety goggles so you don't ALSO end up with metal in your eye!

At some point you kinda destroy the integrity of what bolt remains, it may collapse in on itself, and you MAY be able simply to back it out with a slotted screwdriver.

My personal belief is that PB blaster actually works, IF you can get enough in there and it sits long enough.

You can do this. It will just cost you time, and require patience.

Last edited by wadenelson; 11-18-2018 at 08:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Irish31 (11-19-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Broken starter bolt

Quick Reply: Broken starter bolt