C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy a C6, help interpret a Carfax

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 05:36 PM
CRNA15
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Looking to buy a C6, help interpret a Carfax

I've been wanting to buy a C6 for quite some time now. Found a 2010 Red, 1LT, auto with 81k. Clean inside from the pictures, haven't actually seen it in person. Dealer is asking 21900 which I think is quite high considering the history. Should I run from this? VIN is 1G1YE2DW5A5107556

19k induction system serviced
33k induction system serviced, instrument panel replaced, power steering pump pulley replaced
34k brake booster replaced, air intake hose replaced, crankshaft balancer replaced, front door trim replaced
Around the same date vehicle involved in side swipe, right front, vehicle functional drove from scene, no airbag deployment.
34,500k right window regulator replaced
43k crankshaft balancer replaced
46k flywheel flexplate replaced
52,543k camshaft replaced/repaired
52,601k engine oil pump replaced

From then on its been normal expected results, oil changes, etc. Nothing out of the ordinary. It almost seems as if someone beat the hell out of it for the 20k miles they had it.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:43 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

I'd walk away. Too many things wrong over the life of the car. This makes me think that the trend will just continue.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:51 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
I'd walk away. Too many things wrong over the life of the car. This makes me think that the trend will just continue.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:19 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Keep looking.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:23 PM
Brenda1
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 31 Posts

Just what I thought, someone beat this car like a rented mule.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:58 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

Honestly, it's either modded and carfax somehow got some of them items picked up as service (camshaft repaired? Not likely), or something else weird.

Induction service was likely someone getting ripped off on new air filters. Theres a few other things that seem odd, but carfax is worth about as much as the paper its printed on.

I think that's a fair price. It's cheap, but was hit and has higher miles. If that's your budget, that's the sort of cars you can expect. I wouldnt let the weird stuff on carfax keep me from looking at the car and seeing if it's in decent shape.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:34 AM
CRNA15
Advanced

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Honestly, it's either modded and carfax somehow got some of them items picked up as service (camshaft repaired? Not likely), or something else weird.

Induction service was likely someone getting ripped off on new air filters. Theres a few other things that seem odd, but carfax is worth about as much as the paper its printed on.

I think that's a fair price. It's cheap, but was hit and has higher miles. If that's your budget, that's the sort of cars you can expect. I wouldnt let the weird stuff on carfax keep me from looking at the car and seeing if it's in decent shape.
Blue book value is what the car is priced at, doesn’t value drop significantly after a collision? I would assume 19 would be a more fair price.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:03 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

Originally Posted by CRNA15

Blue book value is what the car is priced at, doesn’t value drop significantly after a collision? I would assume 19 would be a more fair price.
On a low mile garage queen, sure. This is an 80k mile driver with a minor scrape (it drove away from the accidentthe accident likely just paint work or a new side mirror). By 80k, KBB is pricing some minor imperfections in.

Plus, KBB is always way under value on Corvettes. They're fine on Accords and Camrys, but suck at valuing less common sports cars that dont follow their depreciaion models. How many cara have you seen in the condition you're expecting peice st under 20 grand? I suspect that if youd seen that car already, youd have bought it.

The honest truth is, under 20k ia really c5 territory. You might get the worst c6 ever for that, but you really want to spend mid 20s for a good c6. Heck, even a really good c5 ot c5z is over 20k
Old 11-19-2018, 08:07 AM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Brenda1
Just what I thought, someone beat this car like a rented mule.
you cant rent a mule?...lol

Clif

Old 11-19-2018, 08:26 AM
disney7
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

The repeated balancer replacement would make me worry that there is crank nose damage. No idea why the cam was replaced, but if it was due to a wear issue, the engine is probably full of metal. The oil pump could have been replaced "while we're in there" during the cam replacement, but the mileage is different, so it looks like they quickly had some issue after the cam replacement and had to go back in and do the oil pump... so the car may have suffered low/no oil pressure at some point. To me, this means any of the moving parts in the engine are suspect.

I would run away; far far away.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:39 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Why in the world would you want to settle for an accident car when there are SO MANY C6s for sale today. On only ONE national car site there are 2184 C6s for sale across the country. There is no real reason to bottom feed off the junkiest cars.

Not sure you're looking for this advice, but don't let your excitement overwhelm your better judgment.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:53 AM
CRNA15
Advanced

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
Why in the world would you want to settle for an accident car when there are SO MANY C6s for sale today. On only ONE national car site there are 2184 C6s for sale across the country. There is no real reason to bottom feed off the junkiest cars.

Not sure you're looking for this advice, but don't let your excitement overwhelm your better judgment.
I’m not terribly excited, I’ve read about known issues with these cars like the balancer etc. The others were just a little foreign to me. My current DD is a 13 optima with 97k miles, turbo seals replaced, ball joints, CV/axle replaced, not to mention known issues with the engines spontaneously blowing. Looking at it you’d think it was beat to hell, but the reality is it’s pristine and well, **** happens. I definitely won’t settle for this one, but I’m also not prepared to fly all of the country. My current schedule just doesn’t allow that.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:19 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by CRNA15
Blue book value is what the car is priced at, doesn’t value drop significantly after a collision?
ONLY on trade-in, my friend.

I would assume 19 would be a more fair price.
Maker an offer, all they can do is turn it down.
Which, may be doing you a favor.

Old 11-19-2018, 01:41 PM
Shelstin
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Your post doesn't mention where you live, but if you are close to a metro area, I would keep looking. If you don't have a trade in, you can negotiate a little easier or even go with a private party sale. On those, make sure you practice due diligence and get a mechanic to look things over. Just my .02
Old 11-19-2018, 02:31 PM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

If you have to ask for others opinions or interpretation... it’s time to move on to another.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:44 PM
ShagVette
Safety Car

Received 915 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by Shelstin
Your post doesn't mention where you live, but if you are close to a metro area, I would keep looking. If you don't have a trade in, you can negotiate a little easier or even go with a private party sale. On those, make sure you practice due diligence and get a mechanic to look things over. Just my .02
Ad is Miami https://www.dealersearch.com/vehicle...YE2DW5A5107556
Old 11-19-2018, 02:50 PM
CRNA15
Advanced

Originally Posted by Shelstin
South Florida. The good ones are swallowed up pretty quickly down here.

Originally Posted by S.C. vette
If you have to ask for others opinions or interpretation... it’s time to move on to another.
Different story when you don’t have experience with the car. I’m well aware of the balancer issues, etc. The cam and flexplate is what was most alarming.

Originally Posted by ShagVette
Correct.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:36 PM
mhatton222
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Too many repairs overall for sure

Get notified of new replies

To Looking to buy a C6, help interpret a Carfax

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a C6, help interpret a Carfax