C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Underbody Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 06:16 PM
BMF_C6
Pro

Received 311 Likes on 186 Posts

Default C6 Underbody Question

I found an old thread about this area and I have to ask.....has anyone filled this void with spray in foam? I have been under my car a bunch the last month or two and on both sides the thick rubber tape is gone and the holes are exposed. There is also access to the cavity up near the front......this cavity is not fully sealed and was wondering why I couldn't just fill it with some high density foam and once it's cured trim the excess and spray with the Flex Seal stuff you see on TV? This would seal it permanently to keep moisture out and would help (maybe not) deaden this area a little bit.

Can anyone give a good reason this is not a good idea????

Why not fill this void with foam?
Old 11-18-2018, 07:03 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 653 Likes on 472 Posts

The factory didn't see fit to apply seam sealer there, and C6s don't seem to be rusting out... so I'd be loathe to fix what isn't obviously broken. Especially when the fix is irreversible and the long-term consequences are unobvious.

Generally it's better to give things a way to dry out rather than to attempt to make them watertight. If the foam fill is incomplete or comes loose, it could end up trapping water inside. Or if it's open-cell, it could act like a damp sponge.

Old 11-19-2018, 03:27 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by torquetube
The factory didn't see fit to apply seam sealer there, and C6s don't seem to be rusting out... so I'd be loathe to fix what isn't obviously broken. Especially when the fix is irreversible and the long-term consequences are unobvious.

Generally it's better to give things a way to dry out rather than to attempt to make them watertight. If the foam fill is incomplete or comes loose, it could end up trapping water inside. Or if it's open-cell, it could act like a damp sponge.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Old 11-19-2018, 05:25 PM
Odo
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by torquetube
Especially when the fix is irreversible and the long-term consequences are unobvious.
+1 not to do it for this reason^.

Trying to reverse it would be a complete nightmare. You're better off just getting a water tight seal over the holes if you're worried the tape is missing. (Maybe do a small rubber plug with some RTV gasket around it or something?)

Last edited by Odo; 11-19-2018 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:16 AM
Orion2011
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 126 Posts

Water is a sneaky B*&^%, probably good to have a way for it to get out.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:08 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 895 Likes on 583 Posts

I'd be worried that the foam and or flex seal couldn't take the heat in addition to all the above.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:34 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,278 Likes on 923 Posts

The metal is so thick that foam wont do fk all.

Leave it be.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Underbody Question

Quick Reply: C6 Underbody Question