Sponsored by:

Need help pricing 1972 corvette

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 12:34 PM
Cool change
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need help pricing 1972 corvette

Hi all, I need some help on pricing a 1972 Corvette I am interested in buying .. The owner does not want to give me a price, he wants me to give him a fair offer… It is a 1972 C3 350/200hp with P/S, P/B , AC, Tilt, T tops and has a 4 speed .. Body is straight, birdcage is clean, original interior is in fair to good condition, paint is decent, has some imperfections but overall not bad… Vehicle is probably 75% original however it does not have the numbers matching motor , It has a stock Chevy 350… Car has not been driven in about five years and will need a full tuneup, tires, brakes etc.… I am not looking for a show car just a good driver !! I don’t want to insult him but I really don’t know what it is worth , although I have a rough idea .. Overall condition I would give it a 6 1/2 Any help would be appreciated… Fire away

Last edited by Cool change; 11-18-2018 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:13 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default Imho,....

Originally Posted by Cool change
Hi all, I need some help on pricing a 1972 Corvette I am interested in buying .. The owner does not want to give me a price, he wants me to give him a fair offer… It is a 1972 C3 350/200hp with P/S, P/B , AC, Tilt, T tops and has a 4 speed .. Body is straight, birdcage is clean, original interior is in fair to good condition, paint is decent, has some imperfections but overall not bad… Vehicle is probably 75% original however it does not have the numbers matching motor , It has a stock Chevy 350… Car has not been driven in about five years and will need a full tuneup, tires, brakes etc.… I am not looking for a show car just a good driver !! I don’t want to insult him but I really don’t know what it is worth… Any help would be appreciated… Fire away

IMHO,

I would try to treat the seller the way I would want to be treated as a seller. I would check ebay completed auctions for 72 Corvettes, advanced search, sold items, and numbers in green. Not perfect info but very good info. Try to find 3 or 4 examples that are similar to this one to get a sense of range of going prices. Like it or not, NOM engine knocks off maybe 25%. Also, you can take the price of a 72 Corvette in great shape with NOM engine, subtract what you would have to buy; new tires, tune up, interior and say subtract half of that cost (nobody gets full value back from improvements) and see what price this one would have to be to get in the ball park of a 72 Corvette in great shape. In real estate, you get ready to sell your house, so an appraiser or somebody gets comparables, adds or subtracts larger square footage, lot size, etc, components to get the comparables closer in similar comparison to your house. Then they show you the results and offer evidence that while you want $1M for your house, other similar houses are actually selling for $150K and that is the reality of the market. Same principal here, show the seller all of your homework and see what he says. Most people understand facts and logic, if they listen. If he wants 60K because XXX got that for a show car on TV, then walk. For a NOM coupe like you describe, my WAG is 15, or 16. Hope this helps and good luck, BTW, look carefully for killer rust which it sounds like you have done a lot already.

Last edited by 20mercury; 11-18-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:21 PM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

Whatever you say won't be enough, keep that in mind.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:36 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...The owner does not want to give me a price, he wants me to give him a fair offer…
Pass on this one.

Old 11-18-2018, 01:48 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by hope2
Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Pass on this one.

The guys fishing, when i hit ads and ask how much if the cat replies asking what i offer i reply only you know how much your xxxx us worth you tell me,
But most times i see these guys who want me to name a price as cheesedicks they hope some idiot will offer them too much which many fools do,
If they really were a serious seller they would name a price,
Tell him to post it on ebay, thats a great wake up call on what the world will pay...
Old 11-18-2018, 02:05 PM
62corvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 663 Likes on 472 Posts

If you can buy it around $7-8k I think that would be fair. You want to be fair to yourself and to him. That is a delicate balance. Don’t be insensitive to him, and don’t worry about insulting him, because he could choose to be insulted by whatever you offer.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:09 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

I was thinking 10k.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:13 PM
general ike
Melting Slicks

Received 792 Likes on 452 Posts
2017 C3 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '20- '21

Yeah I agree, most likely not realistic. Is he advertising it? Did you find it and are trying to get him to sell, if that's the case I see his point? As far as value you have a great amount of unknown variables. First doe it start and run? If it doesn't its value takes a tremendous cut. How bad is the paint? Does it need to be repainted, a very, very big expense. NOM motor a 25% reduction minimum especially since they didn't put in a upgrade. Are you capable of doing most of the work yourself? Otherwise you are going to have a lot of money into it.

As stated in these forums over and over again and I cannot stress it enough. Buy the best car you can afford, don't buy a car, even if its cheap, that you will need to rebuild, especially if your not doing it yourserlf.!!!

Hate to say it but I would low ball it no matter what to force him to give you a number and negotiate from there. Not the normal way I like to do business but since he won't give you a number?!???
Ike.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:32 PM
Cool change
Advanced

Hi all, I need some help on pricing a 1972 Corvette I am interested in buying .. The owner does not want to give me a price, he wants me to give him a fair offer… It is a 1972 C3 350/200hp with P/S, P/B , AC, Tilt, T tops and has a 4 speed .. Body is straight, birdcage is clean, original interior is in fair to good condition, paint is decent, has some imperfections but overall not bad… Vehicle is probably 75% original however it does not have the numbers matching motor , It has a stock Chevy 350… Car has not been driven in about five years and will need a full tuneup, tires, brakes etc.… I am not looking for a show car just a good driver !! I don’t want to insult him but I really don’t know what it is worth , although I have a rough idea .. Overall condition I would give it a 6 1/2 Any help would be appreciated… Fire away
Originally Posted by 20mercury
IMHO,

I would try to treat the seller the way I would want to be treated as a seller. I would check ebay completed auctions for 72 Corvettes, advanced search, sold items, and numbers in green. Not perfect info but very good info. Try to find 3 or 4 examples that are similar to this one to get a sense of range of going prices. Like it or not, NOM engine knocks off maybe 25%. Also, you can take the price of a 72 Corvette in great shape with NOM engine, subtract what you would have to buy; new tires, tune up, interior and say subtract half of that cost (nobody gets full value back from improvements) and see what price this one would have to be to get in the ball park of a 72 Corvette in great shape. In real estate, you get ready to sell your house, so an appraiser or somebody gets comparables, adds or subtracts larger square footage, lot size, etc, components to get the comparables closer in similar comparison to your house. Then they show you the results and offer evidence that while you want $1M for your house, other similar houses are actually selling for $150K and that is the reality of the market. Same principal here, show the seller all of your homework and see what he says. Most people understand facts and logic, if they listen. If he wants 60K because XXX got that for a show car on TV, then walk. For a NOM coupe like you describe, my WAG is 15, or 16. Hope this helps and good luck, BTW, look carefully for killer rust which it sounds like you have done a lot already.
thank u For your input … When you say minus 25% for a nom , Would that be off that realistic price of what it’s worth
Old 11-18-2018, 02:33 PM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,308 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Pass on this one.
That's the best advice you'll get. Good luck.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:44 PM
blue67ragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Too many cars out there to screw around with a guy like this. Tell him when he figures out what he wants to give you a call. For now take a pass. Also tell him you are looking at a few others. If he is serious about selling he will come up with a price. From your description and without photos, I would guess $10-12K.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:47 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

thank u For your input … When you say minus 25% for a nom , Would that be off that realistic price of what it’s worth
it would be 25% off a realistic price of a car with original engine. If you can get the car around the 10 to 12 range you aren't going to get hurt too bad.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:49 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Originally Posted by blue67ragtop
Too many cars out there to screw around with a guy like this. Tell him when he figures out what he wants to give you a call. For now take a pass. Also tell him you are looking at a few others. If he is serious about selling he will come up with a price. From your description and without photos, I would guess $10-12K.

You could easily have 3-4k in this car before you even drive it........10k is a "fair" offer.

Jebby
Old 11-18-2018, 04:22 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

don't buy a car, even if its cheap, that you will need to rebuild,

unless of course you are a true gearhead who enjoys building and driving cars.

I would bet a big gulp if you lowball a person who is fishing for offers 99.9% of the time they will get pissed and not give you much if any more attention, most will just cuss you out.
I will bet a second big gulp 99.9% if fishers believe what ever they are selling is worth many times the realistic going rate.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:22 PM
Syl1953
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 182 Likes on 124 Posts

You pay $10,000, put $5,000 in it to get it right with no $ for your labor. You then will have a car you could get $12,000 for. If he is not a friend don't be afraid to hurt his feelings. Mark
Old 11-18-2018, 05:30 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by Syl1953
You pay $10,000, put $5,000 in it to get it right with no $ for your labor. You then will have a car you could get $12,000 for. If he is not a friend don't be afraid to hurt his feelings. Mark
Really?! Post a link to a comparable 12k "right" as you call it car
Old 11-18-2018, 07:31 PM
Cool change
Advanced

thank u 👍

Get notified of new replies

To Need help pricing 1972 corvette

Old 11-18-2018, 07:34 PM
Cool change
Advanced

Originally Posted by The13Bats

The guys fishing, when i hit ads and ask how much if the cat replies asking what i offer i reply only you know how much your xxxx us worth you tell me,
But most times i see these guys who want me to name a price as cheesedicks they hope some idiot will offer them too much which many fools do,
If they really were a serious seller they would name a price,
Tell him to post it on ebay, thats a great wake up call on what the world will pay...
that’s make sense thank u
Old 11-18-2018, 07:36 PM
Cool change
Advanced

Originally Posted by 62corvette
If you can buy it around $7-8k I think that would be fair. You want to be fair to yourself and to him. That is a delicate balance. Don’t be insensitive to him, and don’t worry about insulting him, because he could choose to be insulted by whatever you offer.
I am just a little confused because I see a lot of the same cars asking for 20 to 22K
The following users liked this post:
Bills17n72 (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 07:54 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

I am just a little confused because I see a lot of the same cars asking for 20 to 22K
Asking isnt getting, 25k will buy a nice driver 68 to 72 base coupe,
The car you described gives limited info and no pictures,
Assuming it doesnt have bad rust issues about 5 to 8 is fair for a base coupe needing restoration and it does need restoration,
Im not saying sometimes such a car is made to run and drive only fixing what it takes but to be up to par it needs to be restored,

Last edited by The13Bats; 11-18-2018 at 07:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Need help pricing 1972 corvette