Spring Mountain is amazing

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 09:38 AM
Demnos
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 113 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19
Default Spring Mountain is amazing

I just got back from the Corvette Owner's School at Spring Mountain and I have to say that there are not enough superlatives to describe how amazing an experience it is. The instructors are really nice and super knowledgable. To be honest, it is hard to not feed off their enthusiasm. What is really impressive is that they handle people of all skill levels to make sure that everyone is having a good time (you can go as fast or as slow as you are comfortable). They teach you lots about the car but without being overwhelming and the track time is a blast. It is pretty cool how much better everyone in the class got after only two days. Definitely makes you want to do more to see where you can go with it later. The whole class is very well organized (from instruction to transportation to food) and you get to meet great people both taking the class and instructing so I urge anyone that is on the fence to seriously consider going. I almost missed out myself and would have kicked myself if I had missed it knowing now how much fun it was.

I also just wanted to say thank you to everyone at the Ron Fellows Performance Driving School at Spring Mountain for making my year
The following 2 users liked this post by Demnos:
08redharley (03-05-2019), JDMilw (11-22-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 09:49 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Here are some of the biggest takeaways. And it's like having kids, if you don't, it cannot be explained. People think they know but they don't:

- What the car is actually engineered to do rather than driving around own
- What the car's limits and abilities actually are, orders of magnitude beyond what you can experience on the street
- How little that I as a driver really knew (and I'm not a total novice by any stretch)
- How much "abuse" one of these cars can take and not blink. It's not really abuse, just hard use.

Last edited by davepl; 11-19-2018 at 09:49 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by davepl:
Anthony s (11-21-2018), DAC17 (11-19-2018), JDMilw (11-22-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 10:10 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

I really regret not taking advantage of the offer when I bought my car.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:23 AM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
I really regret not taking advantage of the offer when I bought my car.
See if any local track's run HPDE events I instruct and its a blast when people see what driving hard is really like.
The following users liked this post:
Corgidog1 (11-20-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 01:23 PM
jimjimsC7
Pro

Received 481 Likes on 233 Posts

I'm scheduled for March 27 & 28, really looking forward to the experience.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:28 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Mine was 2 years ago today. Did the Monday and Tuesday before Thanksgiving. Coming from the Bay Area at the time, I must admit I took a little detour through Death Valley... ;-) Then I stayed in Vegas for my traditional buffet turkey...

Oh, forgot to mention, Spring Mountain was great. Glad I went.

Last edited by defaria; 11-19-2018 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:45 PM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,425 Posts

Keep these stories coming. I’m going in March for my birthday. So on my birthday I’ll be on a race track in a Grand Sport. Exciting times.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:40 PM
G8R-Vette
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Here are some of the biggest takeaways. And it's like having kids, if you don't, it cannot be explained. People think they know but they don't:

- What the car is actually engineered to do rather than driving around own
- What the car's limits and abilities actually are, orders of magnitude beyond what you can experience on the street
- How little that I as a driver really knew (and I'm not a total novice by any stretch)
- How much "abuse" one of these cars can take and not blink. It's not really abuse, just hard use.
100%. Fantastic time out there, and my new Z06 has a TPW of Dec 3rd, so am already thinking about the best time to get back out to Pahrump. I lucked out when I went earlier this year: they were having a special running and gave an extra night in the condo, which simplified logistics. Also provided an SD card for the PDR, in case we forgot. . .
Old 11-19-2018, 10:42 PM
NolanTA
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I was there last Thursday and Friday also, and I agree, it's an unforgettable couple of days. I am so glad I did it, and I'm pretty sure I'll do it again, either as a next level, or repeat when I buy my next vette.

Nolan
Old 11-19-2018, 10:52 PM
0Corvettes@FHDaileyChevrolet
Former Vendor

Received 103 Likes on 55 Posts

Yes Spring Mountain is great. I have done the sales academy course, the ZR1 driving school, the owners driving school, the level two driving school (twice), and I'll be going back there next year for another driving school that I can't talk about. It really is a must to do for any new corvette owner. It's better to push the cars on the track and see what they are capable of instead of going oops on the streets. I recommend the Spring Mountain driving school to all my customers. Well worth it. Also I'm glad you liked it. So much fun.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:02 PM
SouthOCBoy
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 99 Posts

I enjoyed it so much that I'm going to sign up for the Level 1 class.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:05 PM
Silver C7
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by TimBoone@FHDaileyChevrolet
I'll be going back there next year for another driving school that I can't talk about. It really is a must to do for any new corvette owner. It's better to push the cars on the track and see what they are capable of instead of going oops on the streets. I recommend the Spring Mountain driving school to all my customers. Well worth it.
Going back next year...can’t talk about...??? What could that be??? Or is it, could that be????

Yes Spring Mountain is worth it. How many other drivers on the street know what will happen if they stand on their brakes at 50 MPH? How many know what a spin out on wet road is like, and how to avoid it? I wish there was a “Spring Mountain” opportunity for drivers of all makes of automobiles. Our roads would be a safer place.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:44 AM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

A 'vette owner who doesn't take advantage of the $1000 GM/SM deal is REALLY missing the boat.
I have been involved in developing, managing and providing instruction/training departments at levels from community college through state college and the airlines and can say without equivocation that the SM instruction is on the short list of the very best I have seen or received. The curriculum is chock full of useful information, is tight and well designed, is run with military precision. The instructors stick to the curriculum like glue and all use the same terminology to minimize confusion. The ability to run such a quality program with dozens of instructors is a major accomplishment. Add to that the fact that the instructors are GOOD at it and ENJOY it and it's a true winning combination.
If any owner EVER doubted whether to attend SM, they must acknowledge that they will be missing a truly world class training event at a bargain price.

Last edited by jimmbbo; 11-20-2018 at 12:47 AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:59 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthOCBoy
I enjoyed it so much that I'm going to sign up for the Level 1 class.
You're doing it the right way, I did it backwards, Level 1 first, then Owner's School. All good though, there's always more to learn, so Level 2 is coming up for next year.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:04 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmbbo
A 'vette owner who doesn't take advantage of the $1000 GM/SM deal is REALLY missing the boat.
I have been involved in developing, managing and providing instruction/training departments at levels from community college through state college and the airlines and can say without equivocation that the SM instruction is on the short list of the very best I have seen or received. The curriculum is chock full of useful information, is tight and well designed, is run with military precision. The instructors stick to the curriculum like glue and all use the same terminology to minimize confusion. The ability to run such a quality program with dozens of instructors is a major accomplishment. Add to that the fact that the instructors are GOOD at it and ENJOY it and it's a true winning combination.
If any owner EVER doubted whether to attend SM, they must acknowledge that they will be missing a truly world class training event at a bargain price.
Any owner who doesn't go is really doing themselves a dis-service, but last time there I asked Rick what the % of owners who actually took advantage of the offer, he said it was right around 30%, and that's sad. My local Corvette Club has around 400 members, and besides myself I only know of about 5 or 6 guys that have been to Spring Mountain, and there are some that buy a new Corvette every year.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:59 AM
tome
Melting Slicks

Received 321 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by TKgs2010
Any owner who doesn't go is really doing themselves a dis-service, but last time there I asked Rick what the % of owners who actually took advantage of the offer, he said it was right around 30%, and that's sad. My local Corvette Club has around 400 members, and besides myself I only know of about 5 or 6 guys that have been to Spring Mountain, and there are some that buy a new Corvette every year.
Just think how hard it would be to get in if even 75% took the class. It's a bear as it is. The classes fill up fast and the condos faster. I've been five times and can't wait to go again.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:19 AM
fishpick
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

I’m going in March and this thread is another positive review! Can not wait!
the only people who I have seen complain are the types that order a steak well done and then bitch it’s over cooked and tough.

Get notified of new replies

To Spring Mountain is amazing

Old 11-20-2018, 08:32 AM
Demnos
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 113 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

Originally Posted by tome
Just think how hard it would be to get in if even 75% took the class. It's a bear as it is. The classes fill up fast and the condos faster. I've been five times and can't wait to go again.
They mentioned that they are in the beginnings of a fairly significant expansion so I don't think space will be an issue. They will be adding something like 10 miles of new track in addition to what they already have along with new accomodations. It will be very exciting to see what kind of a destination spot they can make there. I couldn't be happier for them. People like that who are passionate about what they do and treat people with kindness and patience deserve all of the success in the world. I look forward to making more visits there in the future.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:30 PM
SingleTrackMinded
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,359 Likes on 903 Posts

Heading there 11/30-12/1, looking forward to it.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:55 PM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,488 Likes on 771 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

My reservations are set for 2/22 & 2/23 in a M7 Grand Sport!!!!

Quick Reply: Spring Mountain is amazing