C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 01:44 PM
BullittEV
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Clutch replacement

As my understanding is that all LSx applications on the C6 vette use the Z06/LS7 clutch kit? (except the ZR1)

Need to replace a bad T/O bearing so figured I'd learn myself up on the clutch system.

What I've gathered so far is that a full clutch replacement needs:

Flywheel (not included in clutch kits?) or resurface OEM
Pressure Plate
Disc
T/O bearing
Pilot bearing
Clutch bolts (added)

am I missing anything? Been searching around and nothing seems to stay consistent.

Last edited by BullittEV; 11-19-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:49 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Unless I'm mistaken the C6 has a solid flywheel that can be resurfaced instead of having to replace it. If you are going to replace it anyway, I'd suggest going with a lightweight flywheel. You'll want to add new bolts to your list as you don't want to reuse the old ones.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:08 PM
BullittEV
Pro

Appreciate the response, I have a feeling this job is going to suck.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:10 PM
doomi
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I'm curious what symptoms you were having that pointed to a T/O bearing?

And you're correct, from what I've read swapping the clutch on these things is full of suck.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:26 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by BullittEV
Appreciate the response, I have a feeling this job is going to suck.
And you would be correct.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:24 PM
Lee Cromwell
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 148 Posts

Unless you're really really mechanical inclined, I don't think this is a job for an individual, I consider myself that guy but I'm having Vengeance Racing do my clutch when needed, already got my quote, its about a $2000 job and worth every penny! It's a very difficult job if you haven't done them or have lift etc...
The following users liked this post:
Landru (11-20-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 07:16 PM
Cyber Greg
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

A lift, you're missing a lift.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:42 PM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,312 Likes on 884 Posts

Originally Posted by BullittEV
As my understanding is that all LSx applications on the C6 vette use the Z06/LS7 clutch kit? (except the ZR1)

Need to replace a bad T/O bearing so figured I'd learn myself up on the clutch system.

What I've gathered so far is that a full clutch replacement needs:

Flywheel (not included in clutch kits?) or resurface OEM
Pressure Plate
Disc
T/O bearing
Pilot bearing
Clutch bolts (added)

am I missing anything? Been searching around and nothing seems to stay consistent.
An LS7 clutch kit will come with the proper flywheel. I would recommend a remote bleeder also. It will allow you to very easily bleed the system and you pretty much can only install it when the drive train is out to replace the slave cylinder. Tick Performance has a nice one.

Tick performance also sells a shim kit for the slave cylinder. There is a tolerance for the slave to pressure plate distance (or something like that). Here is the link to the kit on Tick: https://www.tickperformance.com/tick...im-kit-3-pack/ You may not need to shim it but just in case.

Also, as far as the job, it is not difficult in that it is not complicated. It is just that you need to disassembly most of the drive line to get to the clutch. A lift is a nice luxury most do not have. But you can do this on jack stands in a weekend. I did exactly this. Drove my C5 Z06 up onto ramps then jacked the rear up and placed on jack stands. Used a couple of Harbor Freight scissor jacks to support the trans and torque tube after removing the rear cradle. I did it all by myself. A lot of work but very doable.

Landru (11-20-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 08:59 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 451 Likes on 228 Posts

You are da man !!!!
Spaceme1117 (11-19-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 09:44 PM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,312 Likes on 884 Posts

I cannot remember where I found this on the forum but I have attached a PDF that someone made detailing the clutch replacement. It is on a C5 but will be applicable to a C6.

Another thing I just thought of. If you go with an LS7 clutch kit, the fly wheel will have metal pins that will align with the pressure plate. The metal pins are not bottomed out in their holes and this won't allow the clutch assembly to be installed with the bell housing still on the engine. But there is an easy solution and you do not need to remove the bell housing. You simply use a hammer to fully seat the pins and this will give enough clearance of the bell housing.

Also, I recommend a pilot bearing puller. It will make removing the old bearing a lot easier and save a lot of time. I used a slide hammer type puller and it only took a couple of good, solid hits to remove the bearing.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
c5_clutch_install.pdf (1.04 MB, 131 views)
Old 11-19-2018, 10:50 PM
BullittEV
Pro

T/O bearing diagnosis is based on the feel of when it occurs. It sounds like the only time it occurs is when the fingers on the pressure plate (or disc?) when slowly re-engaging the bearing into a lower gear. It's a heavy grinding noise- but completely stops when the clutch is engaged/disengaged. Also stops occurring when the car has been driven for a while, another symptom of a bad t/o bearing I have read.

I have to replace a rear wheel bearing also, so I figured it'll be two fixes with one removal of the rear. I just wish I could find a diagram of every piece that a clutch includes. Some have a flywheel, some dont, some mention the bolts, some dont, etc.. Some dont even mention the t/o bearing.

The bonus here is that I can get onto a military base to use a hydraulic 2 post/4 point lift and they have literally everything a shop would have. Also, a mechanic buddy of mine just quit his job and is looking for a few side gigs.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:53 AM
SoCalTim
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just had my clutch replaced at 86k miles. Felt a little spongy so wanted to jump the gun and get a fresh one installed before the holidays.

I had LS7 clutch and flywheel kit, new slave cylinder, and remote bleeder installed. Labor cost was $1500, which I found to be reasonable.

Could have done it myself, but don’t have a lift and there is not enough beer in the fridge for me to attempt a clutch swap on axle stands.

Last edited by SoCalTim; 11-20-2018 at 12:54 AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:58 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

If you’ve got a friend that can be bribed with beer, it’s actually not a bad project.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:37 AM
pauly1119
Drifting

Received 401 Likes on 230 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'11

I had to have my clutch replaced on my Camaro also has a LS3 setup. I used Monster clutch parts and are very happy with the results. Also installed a remote bleeder as well.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:14 PM
RickCC6
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Im not very mechanically inclined and decided to attempt it myself as well, did it on my drive way with jack stands and a low pro jack from harbor freight. Its not that hard, i actually found it better on jack stands. if i were to do it on a lift i would of had to buy some of those really long jackstands for the rear end. It is time consuming though. took me a whole weekend by myself and had to rent some tools from my autoparts store.
Old 11-22-2018, 03:56 PM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

I did it in my FRC. More time intensive than difficult. Had it done in a weekend with a TT rebuild. Transmission jack and a furniture dolly were the only real specialty tools involved.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch replacement

Quick Reply: Clutch replacement