Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8, everything we know for certain... (Input welcome)

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 03:45 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts
Default C8, everything we know for certain... (Input welcome)

I figured that I would compile a list below of everything we know about the next vette so far just to keep everything in order. If anyone wants to add, please feel free to do so.
So here goes nothing...

There is some GM test car driving around that could be a mid-engine Corvette or something else. It has 4 wheels and 2 doors. It moves under it's own power and can stop itself... That is all and even that leaves some room for speculation.

If you have read up to this point I would hope that you all understand what I am getting at. We know less then we think we do, have seen less then we thought we have, and assumed way more than we should have. Unless you know someone who knows someone who has physically worked on the project we have no freaking clue and everything is pure speculation. Everyone relax, don't curse me out. This is just for fun. Maybe go take your car for a drive and breathe in some fresh air. Come back with a clear head and post up notes on what you think is possible for the thing driving around what ever it may be. I will show you what I would like to see. This assignment is based on participation only and creativity is welcomed only if you can use evidence to support your hypothesis.

Let me start:

I am thinking that this car that is driving around may actually be based on the C7 ME frame architecture. When the original concept was dumped the current C7 frame came from somewhere, it would seem plausible to work backwards and bring it back, especially considering how good the platform is as it sits. If it is truly tapped out in the FE layout, why not start with something that can only get better when built in an ME layout. Also, reworking an existing frame would lower costs for such a large change considerably I would speculate.

Thoughts?

Just like that. And go!
The following users liked this post:
ByByBMW (11-19-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 03:50 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

A) A mid-engine car is coming...
B) It will not have the old pushrod NA v8 but will have a new engine architecture
C) Spy shots are on the inter-webs
D) Chevy has said the C7 is the end of the FE line.

Anything beyond that are wishes, opinions, and/or wet dreams but there is one quote in the Jalopnik piece that I like: "General Motors declined to comment, but that may not matter. Things can always get cancelled at the last minute, but it appears as if both of these cars are full steam ahead."

You can take one of the following with any amount of credibility you choose:

Last edited by tcinla; 11-19-2018 at 04:22 PM.
ByByBMW (11-19-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 03:57 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

1. A C8 Corvette MAY be coming in the next couple of years.

2. Ahhh........

3. Ummmm........

4. .............

Edit
5. It will have 4 wheels.

6. Will seat 2 people.

7. Will have one steering wheel.

Last edited by Tom73; 11-19-2018 at 03:59 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tom73:
ByByBMW (11-19-2018), WICKEDFRC (11-19-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 04:07 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by tcinla
B) It will not have the old pushrod NA v8 but will have a new engine architecture

Anything beyond that are wishes, opinions, and/or wet dreams but there is one quote in the Jalopnik piece that I like: "General Motors declined to comment, but that may not matter. Things can always get cancelled at the last minute, but it appears as if both of these cars are full steam ahead."

a) I agree
b) I don't disagree.
c) You don't say?
d) I'm curious, was it that GM saying that or was it GM saying they've gotten all they can out of the C7? I'm just wondering because I don't disagree again. I'm just curious is all.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:08 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Tom73
1. A C8 Corvette MAY be coming in the next couple of years.

2. Ahhh........

3. Ummmm........

4. .............

Edit
5. It will have 4 wheels.

6. Will seat 2 people.

7. Will have one steering wheel.
Are you sure about #7?
Old 11-19-2018, 04:20 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
Are you sure about #7?
maybe 2 for drivers ed.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:29 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

d) I'm curious, was it that GM saying that or was it GM saying they've gotten all they can out of the C7? I'm just wondering because I don't disagree again. I'm just curious is all.[/QUOTE]

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/08/...e-c8-corvette/
Old 11-19-2018, 04:31 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

You suckers fell for this scam. The cunning and lazy TO got you to do his dirty work for him. Ha.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:32 PM
tolnep
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Old 11-19-2018, 04:34 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

you guys don't know if its a gm car

it could be a Ferrari or a datsun
Old 11-19-2018, 04:44 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I will say this: I've said a good while ago that Chevy could grow the Corvette model line... NOT WITH A SUV!!! God no! But, as porsche did with the cayman/boxter (Creating another option for buyers and not from an engine location perspective), Chevy could do with a ME and FE. Can they keep the current FE going alongside an ME? yes. Ruess said this is the end of the C7 but didn't say it was the end of an FE (C8 could be FE and, as others have said ME could be sold under a different name) Could GM have actually done some research and market strategy work and devised a plan to put out a top-line ME and follow up with Another FE? It's been discussed 'ad nauseum' but putting these pieces together makes this a more intriguing possibility as we get closer to 2020.
I wouldn't like it if that top-line ME scenario puts it out of reach for me and I don't know if the current demographic (demographic stays the same but people age into and out of [die ] ) will stay with the FE. I mean, If GM says they've wrung all the performance they can out of the FE and they keep making one, what does that do to potential buyers of an FE ? Not a smart move in my opinion but hey, I'm not a Car industry strategist. What do I know? Those statements by GM speak to me that they can't really do any developments/ improvements to the FE that make it a compelling option over the current car. So... why bother buying one?
Old 11-19-2018, 04:47 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Shaka
You suckers fell for this scam. The cunning and lazy TO got you to do his dirty work for him. Ha.
TO? I had no idea Terell Owens was on the forum much less that he was a sneaky guy... Tell me, what's the evil plan? To pose a question and get answers? Genius!!! The planning that went into that plan must have taken months...
Old 11-19-2018, 04:48 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
you guys don't know if its a gm car

it could be a Ferrari or a datsun
Datsun, Datsun, I vote for Datsun. I loved my Datsun 2000 that I had back in ‘65.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:55 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

B) FALSE - We do not know if there will be a pushrod NA V8 option or not.
D) FALSE - Nowhere has anyone confirmed the C7 is the end of FE.

So it looks like we are just back to a mid-engine car is coming.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:01 PM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

The C9 will be a FE.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:26 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Sub Driver
B) FALSE - We do not know if there will be a pushrod NA V8 option or not.
D) FALSE - Nowhere has anyone confirmed the C7 is the end of FE.

So it looks like we are just back to a mid-engine car is coming.
You busted me! lol.
B) I assumed. Even though it's likely there has been no confirmation
D) I already corrected this in a subsequent post.

You win 2 internet bucks...
I do recall reading something about either Tadge or Reuss saying the C7 is the max performance they can get from FE. I don't find it quoted in a google search though. But, I do remember seeing it. Maybe it was a video from the last bash or some other venue. If that can be confirmed, that would go a long ways towards informing some of the theories circulating. Maybe it's been erased from the interweb after GM realized what a bombshell statement it was. Maybe it was in reference to the ZR1 specifically. What would that mean for a future FE release?

Last edited by tcinla; 11-19-2018 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:41 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,152 Likes on 514 Posts

There will be a C8 ME Corvette Zora and a C8 FE Corvette (Stingray, Grand Sport, ZO6, ZR1?????)

Get notified of new replies

To C8, everything we know for certain... (Input welcome)

Old 11-19-2018, 07:16 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

d) I'm curious, was it that GM saying that or was it GM saying they've gotten all they can out of the C7? I'm just wondering because I don't disagree again. I'm just curious is all.
http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/08/...e-c8-corvette/[/QUOTE]
Ah, so end of the C7. But it's a terribly kept secret anyway no?
Originally Posted by Shaka
Not 100% following? Honestly I was hoping everyone was going to see that this was exactly what it was at face value and just post light hearted jokes of things you can actually assume it has. I'm guessing that TO is supposed to be OP however I may be completely wrong. So what is it you're saying anyway.

Now I could have done about thirty seconds of recalling and made a list of things that everyone is assuming about the damn thing and next thing you know it's another pissing match about why the next corvette should cost 100k+ and why the side vent looks like a capital C instead of a lower case c and all that. Or how people cant understand how a front brake duct vent operates and basic fluid movements over a car.

Your descriptions on areo in the other threads are top notch. I understand the terminology but I am by no means an expert on that. I know pipe flow and industrial mixing. That's it. But the similarities are hard to ignore and the terms still equate to the same thing.

Last edited by 84 4+3; 11-19-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Shaka (11-20-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 10:21 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I wonder if the folks at Chevy / GM are watching all of this activity on the forums and the articles it spawned in other publications and are laughing their ***** off....
Old 11-19-2018, 10:33 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

I know I would be.

Well actually... we all probably laugh as much or more at all this insanity it generates between us. There has been some literal gold in these threads. In my opinion anyway. Take it for what it's worth.

Last edited by 84 4+3; 11-19-2018 at 10:35 PM.

Quick Reply: C8, everything we know for certain... (Input welcome)