C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NCM Insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 05:52 PM
Pete2k_Z28
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Default NCM Insurance?

Does anyone here use NCM insurance for their C6? Has anyone ever had to file a claim, and if so how were they about it and were they sticklers about how the vehicle was being used? How about annual mileage? My C6 is a weekend car but I DO drive it and 6,000 miles a year may be tight. Conventional insurance companies are out of the question as they are more than 2x as expensive and will only provide market value, not agreed value.

I have had Hagerty since I purchased the car but despite reviewing my plans for the vehicle with them months ago, I'm now told that I have to "apply" to maintain my coverage because of the level of modifications I have made to my car (over 650hp when it's finished) or they may drop my collision. Obviously this isn't going to work so I may be forced to look elsewhere. I spoke with NCM earlier today and the pricing was comparable, actually a few dollars cheaper, but seems to be a bit more restricted on use.

Thoughts?
Old 11-19-2018, 08:30 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 720 Likes on 462 Posts

We just switched to a company called Goodville. Excellent coverage, WAY lower rates than what I was paying. NCM and other collector agencies make you have one car for each driver in the house, which we don't. I'm paying $85 a month for both the Vette and the Cadillac.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:44 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 894 Posts

I’ve never had a claim with NCM but have had them for years. My car is heavily modified at a agreed value. They will only match your existing policy limits. I’m not sure how some of these people get such cheap insurance premiums unless the limits are low with inexpensive vehicles.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:44 PM
Pete2k_Z28
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by USA1 427
We just switched to a company called Goodville. Excellent coverage, WAY lower rates than what I was paying. NCM and other collector agencies make you have one car for each driver in the house, which we don't. I'm paying $85 a month for both the Vette and the Cadillac.
Thanks, I'll check them out tomorrow!
Old 11-20-2018, 10:27 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,768 Likes on 4,218 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

I switched to NCM back in April from our other insurer & it cut the rate on the Corvette in 1/2. I have the 6,000 mile limit on my policy but they also have unlimited mileage as well. I didn't see any restrictions in my policy documents as far as driving the car, leaving it out overnight, etc. as others have mentioned with other insurers. I sent them a list & pictures of all my mods & have the agreed upon value. When the policy comes around for renewal I'll re-evaluate the agreed value as I'll have many more mods at that point. I can't answer your question about a claim, but I've been happy with the service and communicated from them. I paid in full for the year but it comes out to about $75/month for the Corvette.

Last edited by JABCAT; 11-20-2018 at 10:27 AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:31 AM
Pete2k_Z28
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by saplumr
I’ve never had a claim with NCM but have had them for years. My car is heavily modified at a agreed value. They will only match your existing policy limits. I’m not sure how some of these people get such cheap insurance premiums unless the limits are low with inexpensive vehicles.
Thanks for the reply, we posted at the same time yesterday so I missed it the first time around, sorry Basically they explained there are two levels of modified vehicles, "Modified" and "Modified +", which is over 500hp. The price difference was minimal.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:36 AM
Pete2k_Z28
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JABCAT
I switched to NCM back in April from our other insurer & it cut the rate on the Corvette in 1/2. I have the 6,000 mile limit on my policy but they also have unlimited mileage as well. I didn't see any restrictions in my policy documents as far as driving the car, leaving it out overnight, etc. as others have mentioned with other insurers. I sent them a list & pictures of all my mods & have the agreed upon value. When the policy comes around for renewal I'll re-evaluate the agreed value as I'll have many more mods at that point. I can't answer your question about a claim, but I've been happy with the service and communicated from them. I paid in full for the year but it comes out to about $75/month for the Corvette.
Thanks for the reply! Interesting they have an unlimited mileage version, I was told they highest they had was 6,000 (as well as 3,000, and I think 1,000). That price is close to what I was quoted which was in the low 9's for the year.

The use and storage restrictions are (reasonably) well spelled out though in my proposal, being used "primarily for occasional pleasure use" and "stored in a fully enclosed and lockable permanent structure".
Old 11-20-2018, 10:39 AM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 400 Likes on 281 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Goodville doesn't write in Florida.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:09 AM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 720 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by NDMIKE88
Goodville doesn't write in Florida.
That's not a surprise. They're an Amish company based out of PA. We switched because we were getting screwed over with SF. Raising rates constantly, and when I'd take the collision off for the winter, they would take two extra months of higher rates before they'd lower it, then when I added it back on in the spring, they'd double the rates for three months, but not start adding it until the second month after I'd call and tell them to put it back on. I had a sit down with the NCM reps at Carlisle in August, gave them my existing policy then, and they went over everything with me. The rates weren't more than $20 less than I was paying SF, plus the restrictions of mileage, storage, and the big one for me was having to have a vehicle for each driver in the household is what kept me away. There's just me and my wife, and we're both retired. So we have our daily car and the Vette. I wasn't buying another car just to get insurance. That's why we didn't go with Haggerty or NCM. But they're both excellent companies.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:57 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,768 Likes on 4,218 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by Pete2k_Z28
Thanks for the reply! Interesting they have an unlimited mileage version, I was told they highest they had was 6,000 (as well as 3,000, and I think 1,000). That price is close to what I was quoted which was in the low 9's for the year.

The use and storage restrictions are (reasonably) well spelled out though in my proposal, being used "primarily for occasional pleasure use" and "stored in a fully enclosed and lockable permanent structure".
If you check their online quote page it shows 3,000, 6,000 & Freedom for mileage options. I know others have mentioned other insurers restrict you from driving the car to the store, or staying at a hotel unless you are taking the car specifically for a show or event, things along those lines. There weren't any of those restrictions in my policy documents.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:14 PM
ED DINAPOLI
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

I have NCM insurance for 3 years after a bad experience with Hagerty. I have had one claim, with a broken headlight from a stone. I put the claim in on a Monday, had a full paid check on Wed.
Ed
Old 11-21-2018, 09:09 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

I have been using Grundy as it was less expensive in my case than Hagerty and less restrictions.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:21 AM
Pete2k_Z28
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by enventr
I have been using Grundy as it was less expensive in my case than Hagerty and less restrictions.
Interesting, Grundy seemed to be more restrictive.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:19 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete2k_Z28
Interesting, Grundy seemed to be more restrictive.

no real mileage restrictions with Grundy and I can take it out for a cruise and out to eat. I cannot take it shopping. I can go to the car shows ( of course) it is a third car for 2 drivers and I do not use it that much. It’s always garaged. Grundy was over 3 hundred less than Hagerty.

Last edited by enventr; 11-21-2018 at 11:08 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To NCM Insurance?

Quick Reply: NCM Insurance?