Old 11-19-2018, 06:01 PM
fastimes
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 464 Likes on 230 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19-'20-'21-'22
Default Turn the key and nothing . . .

Hey guys,
I've been quite busy at work the past few days, so I haven't had a chance to tinker with the car much. My near term goal is to get the left front turn signal to work.
With the help of DUB, I've been given direction on where to look and how to test the possible causes. I've yet to pursue this,
However, today I registered the car at the DMV. I put the pretty new plate on the car and decided to take a short "celebration" drive, faulty turn signal and all.
I got in the car, turned the key and . . . silence. No cranking, no dead battery "Wurp", nada. I checked the battery, it's strong, lights, radio, all functional.
Connections to starter seem fine. Any clues? Is there a chance I screwed something up under the dash chasing the signal wire? Other than that, I haven't touched the car since I last parked it a few days ago and it started and ran like a champ. I don't want to start messing with things until I consulted with folks here.

Last edited by fastimes; 11-19-2018 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:18 PM
kansas123
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by fastimes
Hey guys,
I've been quite busy at work the past few days, so I haven't had a chance to tinker with the car much. My near term goal is to get the left front turn signal to work.
With the help of DUB, I've been given direction on where to look and how to test the possible causes. I've yet to pursue this,
However, today I registered the car at the DMV. I put the pretty new plate on the car and decided to take a short "celebration" drive, faulty turn signal and all.
I got in the car, turned the key and . . . silence. No cranking, no dead battery "Wurp", nada. I checked the battery, it's strong, lights, radio, all functional.
Connections to starter seem fine. Any clues? Is there a chance I screwed something up under the dash chasing the signal wire? Other than that, I haven't touched the car since I last parked it a few days ago and it started and ran like a champ. I don't want to start messing with things until I consulted with folks here.
How old is the battery? I had one that would charge to full, had power to everything, but after a drive, it would not start, dead to the world. Turned out that it had low low cranking amps (after all, it was 5 years old). Replaced it and haven't had that problem since. Have the cranking amps tested. Check you fuses also. Good luck
The following users liked this post:
fastimes (11-19-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 06:34 PM
fastimes
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Battery was my first thought, but I hooked my charger to it in "jump start" mode, still nothing.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:02 PM
general ike
Melting Slicks

Received 792 Likes on 452 Posts
2017 C3 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '20- '21

The battery could still be dead or dying. If the cells have failed the charger may not be able to jump it. Pull the battery and have it checked to clear it. Ike
Old 11-19-2018, 10:03 PM
fastimes
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Darn! I went back under the dash and move some wires around and the car started. That means I have a loose connection under there somewhere.
Electrical is a nightmare to me. So much going on under there I don't know where to start. Ugh.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:41 AM
kansas123
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 279 Posts

Maybe something in the console. DId you try and start it in neutral or by jiggling the gear shift? Is it automatic or is it standard transmission?

Then I would look at the harmonic (plug?) that is mounted on the bottom side of the steering column, anything that is ignition related.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:49 AM
fastimes
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by kansas123
Maybe something in the console. DId you try and start it in neutral or by jiggling the gear shift? Is it automatic or is it standard transmission?

Then I would look at the harmonic (plug?) that is mounted on the bottom side of the steering column, anything that is ignition related.
It may be that plug as that is what I was fiddling with trying to find my signal problem. The car is a 4 speed, and I did try playing with the shifter when starting.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:18 PM
kcat-fan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had that problem, and it turned out to be the neutral control switch

Get notified of new replies

To Turn the key and nothing . . .

Quick Reply: Turn the key and nothing . . .