Sponsored by:

Help pricing 1972 corvette.. bought the car today !! Please read

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 10:15 PM
Cool change
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help pricing 1972 corvette.. bought the car today !! Please read

hi all...First I want to thank everyone for all of their advice and helpful hints , I appreciate it….. with that said I am also disappointed with some people that were negative towards my post, and called me a kid fishing for answers… I im a 55 -year-old retired man with not to much Experience of owning 1 of my first muscle cars.... Anyway for what it is worth I spoke to the owner And told him I would appreciate if he could give me a price on his car. he told me the reason He did not give me a price was because he did not know how much it was really worth... he is a 68 year-old gentleman and really did Not want to sell it, until I came and asked him one day when he had his garage door opened .. The reason why the car was parked five years ago was because he had health issues MLS and couldn’t drive the 4 speed .. however was stored properly and was moved by his neighbor frequently .. he has owned the car for 35 years and has a personal attachment to it but decided it was time when I approached him .. I have a good mechanic and went there this morning we spent all day there and with not much effort fired her up .. everything worked on the car even the clock !! it ran very good actually shifted beautifully , But does need some work tires brakes calipers fluids and full tuneup… The body is perfectly straight as an arrow never been hit !!! birdcage and frame was very clean .. just a Beautiful driver when I’m done with her ... I am sorry that I went on ..bottom line he gave me a price of 10,000 I did not even dicker with him .. from the positive post that I received and doing some of my own homework it was a grand slam homerun… I could not find not 172 Corvette for under 20 K, and this beauty is in better shape body Weiss than anyone I’ve seen… Thank you again To The positive people in this forum,
The following 3 users liked this post by Cool change:
20mercury (11-26-2018), Bills17n72 (11-20-2018), Jstan2014 (11-19-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 10:21 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,889 Posts

You're welcome. And congrats! !

​​​​​​​The numbers are not matching though, right?

How about a bunch of photos please? I love the earlier C3s.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:26 PM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 421 Posts

Congrats on your C3! I, too, would love to see some pictures when you are able to put some up. Best of luck with your new ride!
Old 11-19-2018, 10:39 PM
Cool change
Advanced

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
You're welcome. And congrats! !

The numbers are not matching though, right?

How about a bunch of photos please? I love the earlier C3s.
correct not original motor.. absolutely I have to figure out how to post pics
Old 11-19-2018, 10:40 PM
Cool change
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jstan2014
Congrats on your C3! I, too, would love to see some pictures when you are able to put some up. Best of luck with your new ride!
thank u. I just have to figure out how to post pics seems a little tricky
Old 11-19-2018, 10:54 PM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by Cool change

thank u. I just have to figure out how to post pics seems a little tricky
If you click on the “landscape” icon next to the happy face icon when posting,it’ll ask you to choose from where to select your photos. You can then post from your phone, computer, etc. Hope this helps!
Old 11-20-2018, 05:34 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Im happy for you and as far as what you see as negative remarks thats how forums are, not all hugs and coddling you asked for a lot of advice with little info and no pix and you received it from people who know their **** about c3s.

Will i sound negative to say i am still far from Convinced it wont have costly surprises like rust,
Did you guys remove trim and really check pillars door posts windshield frame etc for rot?

Did it go on a lift for a proper as can be frame and suspension inspection?

By a vette savvy tech?

My impression of your posts were like what the guy who called you a kid said,
I felt You planned to buy this car any price no matter what and you did, so get ready.

Oh, and im 54 and still a big kid

Have a blast with your new toy

Old 11-20-2018, 07:07 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Congratulations.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:37 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

Also, remember every negative post was trying to get you to slow down and shop more. There are very few "too good to be true" cars out there. This sounds like one of them. So the neg Nellie's were trying to keep you from screwing up and jumping on something without having a better idea what you are getting into. and they helped. They made you slow down. They made you do some homework. So now you are more sure it's a good deal then you would have been if you walked up to him with that same money and bought it right off the bat without getting our input. Now, in truth the best Corvette out there is still a mammoth waste of money. Hi my name is Derek and I'm an addict.

Last edited by derekderek; 11-20-2018 at 07:38 AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:57 AM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,308 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

.....bottom line he gave me a price of 10,000 I did not even dicker with him ..
Is this the same car you posted about previously? I ask because in your follow-up thread that was closed by moderator you said the seller gave a price of $16k.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-pricing.html

Just askin'. Regardless, best of luck with the car.

Last edited by cor66vette; 11-20-2018 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:26 AM
Cool change
Advanced

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Im happy for you and as far as what you see as negative remarks thats how forums are, not all hugs and coddling you asked for a lot of advice with little info and no pix and you received it from people who know their **** about c3s.

Will i sound negative to say i am still far from Convinced it wont have costly surprises like rust,
Did you guys remove trim and really check pillars door posts windshield frame etc for rot?

Did it go on a lift for a proper as can be frame and suspension inspection?

By a vette savvy tech?

My impression of your posts were like what the guy who called you a kid said,
I felt You planned to buy this car any price no matter what and you did, so get ready.

Oh, and im 54 and still a big kid

Have a blast with your new toy
I thought I described the car as best I could without going on and on .. i don’t think Any seller would appreciate ANYONE removing there window trim !! Would u do that ? .. we took off the kick panels looked down there was very clean and also looked in front of the rear wheel well clean there .. brought 2 jacks lifted her up went through whole under carriage and frame looked excellent no rust there either just normal surface.. suspension was great however I will change bushings, shocks and any front end parts If i need them... I figured for what I spent for the car 10K, and if I put another 2k into her I’ll have a beautiful driver for 12k.. My intention was never to buy the car regardless of condition my plan was to get educated about the car and give him my best offer… by the way I was a real estate broker for over 30 yrs , I’ll say no more lol. I’ll be receiving the car by the weekend I’ll take some pics .. I am having trouble figuring out the format on how to post them.. thanks again , I’m not a cuddler either

Last edited by Cool change; 11-20-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:28 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Went back and looked at that first thread. The word “fishing” was used to describe the seller, who was fishing for a price, not you. Personally, I’d walk away from people who won’t give me a price.

Somebody did call you a kid. Oh well.

If you are going to ask for input, telling people to “fire away,” you are going to get all sorts of responses, particularly if you don’t post pictures, start multiple threads and don’t appear to be taking any of the suggestions. The fact is many of these similar threads are people that want everyone to say “buy it” and everything else is considered “negative.”

You will get a ton of input here. Some of it is excellent. Some of it won’t be what you want to hear. A lot won’t be very touchy-feely.

Consider all of it, it’s a great source.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:43 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

I was in the nightclub , band music biz over 3 decades and counting what does our fields have to do with it?

From the start with your lack of info no pictures and multi posts i kind thought it seemed fishy but thats how i am,
You might have be a bit askew Tone gets lost in type, talk to me 10 minutes on a phone then deside how big a dbag i am

You were dead set the value of such cars across the board of around 20k and you might get a deal at 16 on this one then when no one praised that you stole it for 10k,
There are so many variables on chromie c3s, options, engine options, the numbers game, there is no way yet to gauge this is a 16k car you stole for 10k or a 5k or less car you jumped into,
I hope its a 20k car you stole for 10k.

You did a good rust inspection? How many other c3s have you inspected, sounds like you did okay, but there is still more unknown.
If this car is the jewel you believe it to be and i honestly hope it is it will be only a result of your good luck,
Buy a power ball this week and if you win dont forget your forum buddy bats.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:18 AM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 844 Posts

Ok...This is the start of some rapid fire education for you. {BTW, I too, thought you were a kid because of your poor spelling and grammar}. We are not texting here, using the letter 'U' instead of you etc.....makes you sound much younger than you portray.

So here's how you start with the car. 'Wrong' engine or not.
1. 'Run-the-numbers' collect every number on the car....the engine stamping number is on a flat pad just in front and below of the passenger side head.
2. Assume immediately that tires and new/rebuilt brake calipers, pads and master cylinder are in the cards. Don't drive it if the brakes are leaking.
3. Change/ flush every fluid....just do it!
4. With the engine code you will now know what the comp ratio is and the vintage of the engine so you will then know what gas you have to put in and what chemicals if any. I seem to remember that 72 was the last year of 'leaded' engines. (Someone correct me please!).
5. Run engine vacuum and check all vacuum lines....this is a 50/50 car with half the car running off of vacuum and the other half electrical.
6. Depending on age/duty/ miles....the rear wheel bearings should be evaluated.

Good luck, GO SLOW...learn, ask nicely, be contrite.....this dear sir, is GROUND ZERO of real-world Corvette Knowledge.

UnkaHal....42 years of C-3 ownership and counting.

ps POST THE DANG PICTURES....(find a real kid...he'll know! LOL)

Last edited by L-46man; 11-20-2018 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:10 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

We want pics........
Send them to Jebbysan@hotmail.com and I will post them for you.
Or take them with phone or digi-camera, get them on your PC and then use the landscape icon next to the smiley face as mentioned earlier.
10k is amazing if it is what you say......

Jebby
Old 11-20-2018, 02:07 PM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

he did not know how much it was really worth... he is a 68 year-old gentleman and really did Not want to sell it, until I came and asked him one day when he had his garage door opened .
I'm 68, not sure what my '71 I've owned for 43 years is worth... you're the reason why I keep the Corvette garage door closed.
Just kidding, good luck with your purchase, I hope it works out for you.
My neighbor next door of over 13 years was asking me about car insurance a few months ago, I told him I have Nationwide on our 2 drivers and Hagerty on the Corvette.
He replied, you have a Corvette?
Old 11-20-2018, 08:08 PM
Cool change
Advanced

Originally Posted by derekderek
Also, remember every negative post was trying to get you to slow down and shop more. There are very few "too good to be true" cars out there. This sounds like one of them. So the neg Nellie's were trying to keep you from screwing up and jumping on something without having a better idea what you are getting into. and they helped. They made you slow down. They made you do some homework. So now you are more sure it's a good deal then you would have been if you walked up to him with that same money and bought it right off the bat without getting our input. Now, in truth the best Corvette out there is still a mammoth waste of money. Hi my name is Derek and I'm an addict.
thank u Derek , you are right and I really appreciate everyone’s help 👍

Get notified of new replies

To Help pricing 1972 corvette.. bought the car today !! Please read

Old 11-20-2018, 08:16 PM
Cool change
Advanced

Originally Posted by cor66vette
Is this the same car you posted about previously? I ask because in your follow-up thread that was closed by moderator you said the seller gave a price of $16k.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-pricing.html

Just askin'. Regardless, best of luck with the car.
yes same car .. seller said he would love to get 16k for her .. I told him that I could not do that . He has to take off 25% for not #’s matching motor
Old 11-20-2018, 08:21 PM
Cool change
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
Went back and looked at that first thread. The word “fishing” was used to describe the seller, who was fishing for a price, not you. Personally, I’d walk away from people who won’t give me a price.

Somebody did call you a kid. Oh well.

If you are going to ask for input, telling people to “fire away,” you are going to get all sorts of responses, particularly if you don’t post pictures, start multiple threads and don’t appear to be taking any of the suggestions. The fact is many of these similar threads are people that want everyone to say “buy it” and everything else is considered “negative.”

You will get a ton of input here. Some of it is excellent. Some of it won’t be what you want to hear. A lot won’t be very touchy-feely.

Consider all of it, it’s a great source.
I understand stand !! You are right the whole process of buying can be stressful at times. Just want to let you know I do appreciate all of the help . I’m sure I will be asking more questions .. Enjoy your Thanksgiving
Old 11-20-2018, 08:34 PM
Cool change
Advanced

Originally Posted by The13Bats
I was in the nightclub , band music biz over 3 decades and counting what does our fields have to do with it?

From the start with your lack of info no pictures and multi posts i kind thought it seemed fishy but thats how i am,
You might have be a bit askew Tone gets lost in type, talk to me 10 minutes on a phone then deside how big a dbag i am

You were dead set the value of such cars across the board of around 20k and you might get a deal at 16 on this one then when no one praised that you stole it for 10k,
There are so many variables on chromie c3s, options, engine options, the numbers game, there is no way yet to gauge this is a 16k car you stole for 10k or a 5k or less car you jumped into,
I hope its a 20k car you stole for 10k.

You did a good rust inspection? How many other c3s have you inspected, sounds like you did okay, but there is still more unknown.
If this car is the jewel you believe it to be and i honestly hope it is it will be only a result of your good luck,
Buy a power ball this week and if you win dont forget your forum buddy bats.
no worries bats .. I truly appreciate all the help from everyone It can be very stressful buying at times .. at 16k I thought was a little high for a not correct motor and the minor work it needed , Considering C3 ‘s are going for 20k with correct motor I mentioned that to the seller and he told me 10K

Quick Reply: Help pricing 1972 corvette.. bought the car today !! Please read