C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 10:25 AM
thatguy662
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Clutch replacement

My clutch is starting to slip and I assume it has never been replaced.

03 z06 with full bolt-ons and a big cam (btr stage 4) making around 425hp. Car will also have a 100-150 shot soon so I am looking to go ahead and get a good clutch. 58k miles now.

from everything I have read it appears the mcleod RXT is the way to go? I drive this car alot and pound on it when I do. It’s not a daily by any means but if it’s nice I more than likely drive it.

Can anyone give advice on this, where to buy, what else to potentially replace? Also, flywheel? Hoping to catch a good black Friday deal
Old 11-20-2018, 12:25 PM
TastyBacon
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Unless you are planning a big supercharger or turbo build in the future, I'd recommend the RST over the RXT. I have the RST and love it, it's rated for 800HP and the engagement and pedal pressure are great.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:37 PM
99blkfrc99
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Monster LT1S
Old 11-20-2018, 01:36 PM
charger21
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 75 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Quartermaster was my choice, based on my road racing friends recommendations. They make street friendly clutches that can hold the power and are much lighter than the factory unit.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:37 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

What EVER clutch that you choose,,,,,,, I have some very important installation recommendations that you should consider.

1. Mark the old flywheel to crank location and mark the old pressure plate to flywheel location before you disassemble everything!!!
2. Take the clutch air gap critical measurements BEFORE you install the new clutch parts!
3. Consider MATCH BALANCING the new flywheel and pressure plate assy to the old clutch assy.
4. What master cylinder do you plan on running?? Consider a NEW OEM master at a minimum. If you want to install the TICK Master.
5. Install a new Pilot Bearing. Sounds like a no brainer but some people try to use the old one. VERY BAD IDEA!!
6. Check the TT couplers and bearing for damage and wear. Recommend replacing the OEM couplers with a MINIMUM of the OEM GM couplers. DO NOT USE DORMAM!!

While the drive train is out, at a minimum replace the differential output shaft seals.

Consider up-grading the differential output shafts, limited slip clutches and clutch belleview springs to the better quality C6 ZO6 parts. Easy and coat effective up-grade.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
JumboShrimp (11-24-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 04:15 PM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,641 Likes on 1,204 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
What EVER clutch that you choose,,,,,,, I have some very important installation recommendations that you should consider.

1. Mark the old flywheel to crank location and mark the old pressure plate to flywheel location before you disassemble everything!!!
2. Take the clutch air gap critical measurements BEFORE you install the new clutch parts!
3. Consider MATCH BALANCING the new flywheel and pressure plate assy to the old clutch assy.
4. What master cylinder do you plan on running?? Consider a NEW OEM master at a minimum. If you want to install the TICK Master.
5. Install a new Pilot Bearing. Sounds like a no brainer but some people try to use the old one. VERY BAD IDEA!!
6. Check the TT couplers and bearing for damage and wear. Recommend replacing the OEM couplers with a MINIMUM of the OEM GM couplers. DO NOT USE DORMAM!!

While the drive train is out, at a minimum replace the differential output shaft seals.

Consider up-grading the differential output shafts, limited slip clutches and clutch belleview springs to the better quality C6 ZO6 parts. Easy and coat effective up-grade.

Bill
Solid advice
Old 11-20-2018, 04:15 PM
JHrinsin
Drifting

Received 388 Likes on 316 Posts

Bill
Bill just curious, do the above mentioned C6 Z06 differential components fit into either the early 1-rib or later 3-rib C5 differential as replacements parts or are more modifications needed.?
Old 11-20-2018, 09:17 PM
Spaggs
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Don't forget a new slave cylinder and a remote clutch bleeder valve. I'm about to do mine and I purchased the Katech remote bleeder and plan on going with the GM slave cylinder. Just for grins, check out the RPS clutches. They are rebuildable and made out of carbon. Expensive, but arguably the best clutch out there.
Spaggs
Old 11-21-2018, 12:11 PM
thatguy662
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks guys. Yeah i think im going to go with the RST one. Heard alot of good things.

I have a tick master cylinder sitting at home but i read somewhere that mcleod is speced for OEM or theirs (which is basically a rebuilt oem) can someone confirm?
Old 11-21-2018, 01:14 PM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by thatguy662
Thanks guys. Yeah i think im going to go with the RST one. Heard alot of good things.

I have a tick master cylinder sitting at home but i read somewhere that mcleod is speced for OEM or theirs (which is basically a rebuilt oem) can someone confirm?
Buddy and myself used stock had no problems with the mcleod, so the tick would be as good or better. It's a bigger bore to move more fluid

Last edited by helga203; 11-21-2018 at 01:16 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:29 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The C6 up-grades fits all C5 diffs

TICK offers a stock OEM bore master so that you don't increase the peddle effort. I would look into that.

If you have never replaced the spring, I bet you a cold one or or both springs are cracked.
The following users liked this post:
JHrinsin (11-21-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 02:38 PM
JHrinsin
Drifting

Received 388 Likes on 316 Posts

The C6 up-grades fits all C5 diffs

TICK offers a stock OEM bore master so that you don't increase the peddle effort. I would look into that.

If you have never replaced the spring, I bet you a cold one or or both springs are cracked.
Thanks. If I have to drop the whole mess to fix the leak in the hydraulics due to a either bad slave cylinder or remote bleeder, then I may have to budget for a rebuilt/upgraded 3-rib with possibly a 3.73 or 3.90 gear. I am really hoping this is only a bad master cylinder. Everything was replaced 12K miles ago by the PO alone with a fresh LS7 clutch setup
Old 11-24-2018, 06:00 PM
JumboShrimp
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 157 Likes on 104 Posts

Have you looked at this post? He needs 5 guys to get the forum members a SMOKE'n deal. I'm one of em. Just trying to push it along.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-6405507m.html

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch replacement

Quick Reply: Clutch replacement