Sponsored by:

NCRS judging and paint ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 11:17 AM
jsg1518
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Default NCRS judging and paint ???

If a car is repainted a different color than original, How bad does that affect the score for top flight?
Old 11-20-2018, 01:44 PM
jaxlt1
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 63 Posts

Default Paint

85 Points for Body color - Deduct 100% of Originality - Color does not correspond to the factory-install body trim plate color code (if applicable) or is a non-factory color or is a factory color applied to an inappropriate year of manufacture.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:28 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

There is no deduction for having an exterior color that was 'correct' for the model year you have. The only 'catch' is that you have to change your 'trim' plate to have the exterior/interior color codes that are presently on your car. NCRS doesn't check to see that your car is "like it came from the factory"; they only check to see if it LOOKS like what would could have come from the factory. They aren't in the business of AUTHENTICATION. If some readers think that is 'harsh', they need to realize that MANY top flight NCRS award winning cars appear to be original vehicles, but may in fact be many parts of different cars, all of the correct vintage, but painted an alternative color than what came from the factory on the original vehicle.
If everything looks correct on your car, and it's painted a legitimate color for that model year, AND the data plate is in agreement, you could potentially have a Top Flight car.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 11-20-2018 at 03:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
oldgto (11-20-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 04:58 PM
jaxlt1
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 63 Posts

Default Paint

Before you invest in the paint job and locate a trim tag to match, just be aware of the consequences. First, in order to have it Flight Judged, you must be an NCRS member. NCRS Counterfeiting Penalty. The following would be an example of counterfeiting: Repainting an original blue car red and changing the trim tag to make red appear to be the original color.
Any individual, be it owner, owner/restorer, restorer and owner. or restorer, presenting a vehicle for judging that is determined to contain counterfeit identifiers such as VIN plate, trim tag, altered casting numbers, or altered dates will be suspended from further participation in judging activities of NCRS and the Vehicle will be branded Counterfeit and the Vehicle Identification Number will be permanently recorded in the award data base.

That being said, it's your car, drive it and enjoy it and do whatever you want to it.
The following 2 users liked this post by jaxlt1:
kenpeindl (11-20-2018), oldgto (11-20-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 05:30 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

swapping trim tags will get the car deemed counterfeit and you and the car will be banded from judging
Old 11-20-2018, 08:05 PM
jsg1518
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Got it. So let me understand if a car is pretty much top flight in all other categories and is just painted the “wrong color” but not falsifying the trim tag being totally upfront about it. Could the car still score a top flight or is the paint thing too major of a loss and if so would it then be eligible for a different award.
I’m not to familiar with the scoring but I was looking at a car that scored top flight years ago and was restored again and looks like it could receive it again with the exception of the color.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:18 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

scoring starts out with 4500 points you need a 94% or up for a "Top Flight". the points loss was posted above. your best bet is to buy the judging manual, judging reference manual, and download the scoring sheets from the NCRS website then you can see for your self.
jsg1518 (11-21-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 05:45 AM
sambrand
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

it is considered to be non matching and the judges may totally disqualify it, or penalize the score depending on how the paint color is deviant from the tags. however if u modify any numbers plate or tag with the intention of passing a inspection and it is found by the judges your car will be completely disqualified from any score. they can work around a non matching plate and you can be scored but if you do anything that is considered deceitful they really tend to become disgruntled judges.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:44 AM
toylman
Burning Brakes

Received 232 Likes on 179 Posts

All the advice about Not changing the trim tag is good. That would be a Big mistake. So, what would the non correct paint do to your score? I'm no judge, but paint is worth 170 points in total. 85 for "Body Color" and 85 for "Body Paint" (45 originality and 40 condition). You may lose All 170. That much of a deduction, with No other deductions would put you at 96.23. Since you need 94 for top flight, that puts you in a deep hole out of the gate. A score of 85-94 gets you second flight which would still be nice.

Last edited by toylman; 11-21-2018 at 07:48 AM. Reason: wording
jsg1518 (11-21-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 07:51 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
There is no deduction for having an exterior color that was 'correct' for the model year you have. The only 'catch' is that you have to change your 'trim' plate to have the exterior/interior color codes that are presently on your car. NCRS doesn't check to see that your car is "like it came from the factory"; they only check to see if it LOOKS like what would could have come from the factory. They aren't in the business of AUTHENTICATION. If some readers think that is 'harsh', they need to realize that MANY top flight NCRS award winning cars appear to be original vehicles, but may in fact be many parts of different cars, all of the correct vintage, but painted an alternative color than what came from the factory on the original vehicle.
If everything looks correct on your car, and it's painted a legitimate color for that model year, AND the data plate is in agreement, you could potentially have a Top Flight car.
Well thank you

Im a modder, i assumed too what you said people might think,

So ncrs just judges cars based on what they deemed is correct for its appearance which means ncrs might not always be right in what they deem "correct" and if im guessing correctly they get fees here and there, profits of course.

So a top flight car could be a total Frankenstein just "look" correct, interesting the new viewpoint you just gave me,
Suddenly ncrs awards mean even less to me,
Not a bash on ncrs but Plenty of people on here and at any cruise can tell a person what is or isnt correct on their car and they love to do it unsolicited and for free....

Old 11-21-2018, 08:23 AM
sambrand
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

theres a few benefits to a ncrs score, first is bragging rights, secondly it affects resell and insurance values. think of it as a rare coin, the mint state can affect the value by 1000 percent either way, and when u go to sell a customer can look at the score and know sight unseen pretty much all that can be known without actually seeing it in person or driving it.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:01 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by sambrand
theres a few benefits to a ncrs score, first is bragging rights, secondly it affects resell and insurance values. think of it as a rare coin, the mint state can affect the value by 1000 percent either way, and when u go to sell a customer can look at the score and know sight unseen pretty much all that can be known without actually seeing it in person or driving it.
I fully more than many do in return respect purists,
And pretty much across the board most purists seem to me to place resell value above enjoying the car as a car which if thats what nakes them happy i support that for them too.

However,
in my case my Frankenstein 69 is a highly modded custom road race theme
Worth, resale value really does mean zero to me, i build cheap, working hard to find great deals my true return is putzing around on the car and driving it as a car,
Since im not selling the car how easy it is to research my car is moot.

Bragging rights? Bragging, chest thumping, I'll leave that to the insecure attention ****** who somehow think boasting makes them better people.
If they need that more power to them.

Ill ask on insurance they never did ask if stock or modded just an agreed value thing.

Before you judge me too askew i know the ncrs has helped countless people make their dreams come true and that is the thing that really matters.

Lets move away from a thread highjack i was very taken back that if a purist desires a color the car wasnt born with just swap out the trim tag and paint away,
I guess it boils down to does the OP want a different color bad enough to do trim tag magic or can they settle for original color

Last edited by The13Bats; 11-21-2018 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:51 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,327 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by jaxlt1
85 Points for Body color - Deduct 100% of Originality - Color does not correspond to the factory-install body trim plate color code (if applicable) or is a non-factory color or is a factory color applied to an inappropriate year of manufacture.
Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
scoring starts out with 4500 points you need a 94% or up for a "Top Flight". the points loss was posted above. your best bet is to buy the judging manual, judging reference manual, and download the scoring sheets from the NCRS website then you can see for your self.
I think the OPs question is pretty straightforward and has received a few straightforward answers. Not sure why the thread has veered into another highjack into questioning the value of NCRS.

I don’t think anyone has suggested Top Flight cars are routinely faked with phony trim tags. It’s absolutely true that it’s possible, and also true that NCRS does not “authenticate” anything, but the fact is many NCRS judges are quite good at what they do and will reject a counterfeit tag. What “appears correct” might be a higher standard to a Judge than your average Joe, so talk of Frankenstein cars diluting the value of NCRS awards is a little silly.

The answer to the OPs question is purely a math one. The potential loss of 170 points could take a car out of Top Flight contention by itself. The decision to fake a trim tag might work, but the risk of the car being banned and known as a fake seems like a terrible choice.

If someone wants a different color car, that’s a decision people make every day. But it doesn’t seem to jive with also wanting a car to be a Top Flight.
jsg1518 (11-21-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 12:15 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Vb,
Sorry on all accounts and i did try in my last post to back away from the highjack, wasnt going to say another word, but want to attempt to clarify,
I likely worded things oddy askew and wasnt questioning the value of ncrs to people who go that way in fact i believe they do provide a very valuable service.

7t1s post tossed things in my brain i simply didnt know like as naive as i may sound i didnt know swapping trim tags was even a thing that happened,
And sure he made it sound to me anyway like patched togther cars do get top flight and that blew me away.

I believed it much harder to get that award and you get me back down to earth i wasnt too offbase that while it "could" happed and might have happened it sure isnt running rampant, and ncrs has a hawk eye open for it.

So yeah, color change is modifying, moving away from ncrs, welcome to the dark side Luke,

So again i apologize and please resume your regularly scheduled program with no more bat babbling.

Last edited by The13Bats; 11-21-2018 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:45 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

You can call it a "highjack" if you want. But I was answering the OP's original question about how many points he would be deducted for non-original paint. Other posters provided the correct answer, assuming that he does nothing to the rest of the car. My answer is correct, if he chooses to replace his trim tag with one having revised trim codes.

THERE IS NOTHING ILLEGAL OR WRONG WITH ALTERING A TRIM TAG, other than NCRS won't appreciate it....IF they determine that it does not APPEAR to be a factory plate.

This is NOT an NCRS Forum! It is an open forum and anyone has the right to share his/her legitimate views about what is asked by an OP whether others like it or not.

There's enough BS about "Free Speech" (or the lack, thereof) in our daily lives right now. I would hate to think that this OPEN Forum would stoop to the same tactics because of a different point of view.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:51 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

You can call it a "highjack" if you want. But I was answering the OP's original question about how many points he would be deducted for non-original paint. Other posters provided the correct answer, assuming that he does nothing to the rest of the car. My answer is correct, if he chooses to replace his trim tag with one having revised trim codes.

THERE IS NOTHING ILLEGAL OR WRONG WITH ALTERING A TRIM TAG, other than NCRS won't appreciate it....IF they determine that it does not APPEAR to be a factory plate.

This is NOT an NCRS Forum! It is an open forum and anyone has the right to share his/her legitimate views about what is asked by an OP whether others like it or not.

There's enough BS about "Free Speech" (or the lack, thereof) in our daily lives right now. I would hate to think that this OPEN Forum would stoop to the same tactics because of a different point of view.
unless you live in certain states that deem trim tags as a federal crime
Old 11-21-2018, 03:15 PM
C2-C3Guy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default NCRS Judging Points on Paint.. 72... Single or Two Stage paint..?

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man

unless you live in certain states that deem trim tags as a federal crime

I have read a few forums and wondering about early C3 paint and NCRS Judging. Will cars be docked points for a 2 stage (base + clear) vs. the original single stage.

I have a 72. Trim Code 946. Emerald Green and would think that the difference would be very noticeable. Has NCRS accepted clear coat paints? 2012 Forum posts seem to be on the fence.
Thanks.

Fred

Last edited by C2-C3Guy; 11-21-2018 at 03:19 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To NCRS judging and paint ???

Old 11-21-2018, 03:25 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

You should probably go to the NCRS site for a definitive answer to your question...but my understanding is that so many NCRS owners had repainted their cars with 2-stage paint, the organization finally relented and eliminated the deduction--as long as the paint color was correct for the model year.

Even, NCRS doesn't stick by their own basic standards of originality....
Old 11-21-2018, 03:45 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
...I think the OPs question is pretty straightforward and has received a few straightforward answers. Not sure why the thread has veered into another highjack into questioning the value of NCRS.

I don’t think anyone has suggested Top Flight cars are routinely faked with phony trim tags. It’s absolutely true that it’s possible, and also true that NCRS does not “authenticate” anything, but the fact is many NCRS judges are quite good at what they do and will reject a counterfeit tag. What “appears correct” might be a higher standard to a Judge than your average Joe, so talk of Frankenstein cars diluting the value of NCRS awards is a little silly.

The answer to the OPs question is purely a math one. The potential loss of 170 points could take a car out of Top Flight contention by itself. The decision to fake a trim tag might work, but the risk of the car being banned and known as a fake seems like a terrible choice.

If someone wants a different color car, that’s a decision people make every day. But it doesn’t seem to jive with also wanting a car to be a Top Flight...
Well put.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:26 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

You should probably go to the NCRS site for a definitive answer to your question...but my understanding is that so many NCRS owners had repainted their cars with 2-stage paint, the organization finally relented and eliminated the deduction--as long as the paint color was correct for the model year.

Even, NCRS doesn't stick by their own basic standards of originality....
not true. NOWHERE in NCRS does it say it has to be the original style paint but it has to APPARE to be. If you can make a two stage paint look like single stage in all areas then no deduction But if you did not try the point loss.

Also lacqure is no no longer being made for automotive paint.

Quick Reply: NCRS judging and paint ???